AIX 5.3 and DS4300 redundant connection - physical volumes disappear - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.3 and DS4300 redundant connection - physical volumes disappear - Aix ; Good day everyone, I am trying to resolve this issue for quite a while, seen several posts describing quite similar (but not the same) problem. So, here we go again. A pSeries 570 LPAR is connected to DS4300 through two ...

  1. AIX 5.3 and DS4300 redundant connection - physical volumes disappear

    Good day everyone,

    I am trying to resolve this issue for quite a while, seen several posts
    describing quite similar (but not the same) problem. So, here we go again.

    A pSeries 570 LPAR is connected to DS4300 through two FC adapters (fcs0 and
    fcs1). As long as only fcs0 is connected to the switch and authorized to use
    LUNs - everything runs just fine. As soon as I connect fcs1 and authorizeit on
    the DS4300 box to 'see' same LUNs, physical volumes 'disappear'. Not thatthey
    disappear completely, they show as 'Available' in lsdev output, but varyonvg
    fails with unknown error 3, lspv shows question marks '????????' in most of
    information cells etc. When I plug fcs1 cable out or remove its WWN from DS4300
    (and then rmdev dar0, fcs devices, disks and run cfgmgr) - everything starts
    working again. Seems like magic to me. What I have noticed is that whenever I
    connect fcs1 adapter, dar0 device only lists dac2 and dac3 as available/active.
    Same shown by fget_config:

    # fget_config -A

    ---dar0---

    dac0 ACTIVE dac1 ACTIVE dac2 ACTIVE dac3 ACTIVE
    hdisk2 dac3
    hdisk3 dac3
    # lsattr -El dar0
    act_controller dac2,dac3 Active Controllers False
    aen_freq 600 Polled AEN frequency in seconds True
    all_controller dac2,dac3 Available Controllers False
    autorecovery no Autorecover after failure is corrected True
    balance_freq 600 Dynamic Load Balancing frequency in seconds True
    cache_size 128 Cache size for both controllers False
    fast_write_ok yes Fast Write available False
    held_in_reset none Held-in-reset controller True
    hlthchk_freq 600 Health check frequency in seconds True
    load_balancing no Dynamic Load Balancing True
    switch_retries 5 Number of times to retry failed switches True
    #

    There is no 'dar1' device on the system, only 'dar0'.

    Maybe I omitted something (all physical volumes were created when we had only
    fcs0 device available in the server). I checked through `Best practices' Red
    Book for DS4000, and I believe I followed all steps to create devices properly.
    There is not much apart from removing devices and running cfgmgr again after
    connecting secondary link, though..

    Any advice?

    Alex

  2. Re: AIX 5.3 and DS4300 redundant connection - physical volumes disappear

    In the DS4300, the host representing your AIX machine is defined with
    TWO HBA adapters, right?

+ Reply to Thread