AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web - Aix ; Just installed Firefox 1.5.0.11 for AIX off the IBM web site, on to a 7044-170 44P running AIX 5.2ML10. On opening Firefox browser, type in http://192.168.0.1 and get connected to my router. Hit dial up button and it dials up ...

  1. AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Just installed Firefox 1.5.0.11 for AIX off the IBM web site, on to a
    7044-170 44P running AIX
    5.2ML10.

    On opening Firefox browser, type in http://192.168.0.1 and get connected to
    my router.
    Hit dial up button and it dials up my dial up ISP okay.
    When I try and connect to any site like http://google.com.au get a message
    " Server not found "
    I cannot connect to any web site.

    Can successfully ping 192.168.0.1 my router
    Can successfully ping 192.168.0.130 a Win XP machine on my home network.
    Can successfully ping 144.134.173.203 my ISP
    Can successfully ping 72.14.235.104 http://www.google.com.au
    Can successfully ping 64.233.187.90 http://www.google.com.
    Can successfully ping 63.245.209.11 http://www.mozilla.org

    Thought it may be a routing problem but it looks okay.

    # lsattr -El inetO "
    authm 65536 Authentication Methods True
    bootup_option no Use BSD-style Network Configuration True
    gateway Gateway True
    hostname martinel Host Name True
    rout6 IPv6 Route True
    route net,-hopcount,O"O,192.168.0.1 Route True

    # netstat -rn
    Routing tables
    Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use If PMTU Exp Groups
    Route Tree for Protocol Family 2 (Internet):
    default 192.168.0.1 UGc 0 0 enO --
    127/8 127.0.0.1 U 6 223 lo0 --
    192.168.0.0 192.168.0.142 UHSb 0 0 enO -- - =>
    192.168.0/24 192.168.0.142 U 1 722 enO --
    192.168.0.142 127.0.0.1 UGHS 27 5452 lo0 --
    192.168.0.255 192.168.0.142 UHSb 0 4 enO --
    Route Tree for Protocol Family 24 (Internet v6):
    ::1 ::1 UH 0 0 lo0 16896 -

    Have several Win boxes on the same network and the Dlink router settings are
    fine for them.
    Have not installed any anti virus or trojan software on the AIX box as yet.
    Read Firefox and IBM sites but cannot find a possible cause for the non
    connection to any web page.

    Any suggestions what maybe wrong appreciated.

    Thanks
    Basil

    PS
    Tried to install Mozilla 1.7.13.0 on the same machine with the same result
    ( never solved ), but swung over to Firefox because it seems to be the
    ongoing IBM AIX browser.

  2. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Found out that XP is smarter than AIX 5L when it comes to DNS. Used an XP
    machine and nslookup to find out info to feed into smit TCPIP and that
    solved the problem.

  3. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    On Jul 8, 1:54 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Found out that XP is smarter than AIX 5L when it comes to DNS. Used an XP
    > machine and nslookup to find out info to feed into smit TCPIP and that
    > solved the problem.

    You're clearly clueless if you think that.

    Niel

  4. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Basil Holloway wrote:
    > Found out that XP is smarter than AIX 5L when it comes to DNS. Used an XP
    > machine and nslookup to find out info to feed into smit TCPIP and that
    > solved the problem.

    XP is probably configured with DHCP for automatic IP assignment from
    your router, while you are statically assigning an IP on the AIX machine.

  5. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Oxbeef
    You are correct. Am really struggling to learn AIX, my nearly 70 year old
    brain is finding the learning curve very steep.
    Kevin
    You hit the nail on the head. XP is using auto IP assignment whereas in AIX
    4.3.3 and AIX 5.2 I assign a number from my handwritten register to make
    sure I do not clash with others on my P2P network. That smit auto DHCP
    screen with its long list of boxes to fill in stumped me.
    I am now in the situation that when I start AIX 5.2, unless XP is started
    first and connected to the web, AIX 5.2 just stalls in the NFS set up stage
    and does not get to the CDE desktop. I get that Tooltalk window and a ddterm
    window.
    AIX 4.3.3.11 does not have that problem as I did not have to fill in the DNS
    IP address and DNS domain name like in AIX 5.2.
    AIX 4.3.3.11 runs Netscape whereas AIX 5.2 runs Firefox and it needed its
    two smit DNS boxes filled in to work.
    Now I find out IBM/AIX/Firefox 1.5.0.11 does not have a mail client.
    Originally installed IBM/AIX /Mozilla 1.7.13 but had technical difficulties
    so uninstalled it when I discovered IBM had abandoned it.
    What do people use on AIX 5.2 as a browser and memail client ?

  6. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    On Jul 8, 8:40 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Oxbeef
    > You are correct. Am really struggling to learn AIX, my nearly 70 year old
    > brain is finding the learning curve very steep.

    I'm not trying to be aggressive but you should just ask instead of
    flaming, we're all here either because we're keen to help, or to
    learn, or both.

    > Kevin
    > You hit the nail on the head. XP is using auto IP assignment whereas in AIX
    > 4.3.3 and AIX 5.2 I assign a number from my handwritten register to make
    > sure I do not clash with others on my P2P network. That smit auto DHCP
    > screen with its long list of boxes to fill in stumped me.
    > I am now in the situation that when I start AIX 5.2, unless XP is started
    > first and connected to the web, AIX 5.2 just stalls in the NFS set up stage

    Perhaps you have defined a hard-mounted NFS filesystem in /etc/
    filesystems? Change it (the options setting) to soft, and NFS will
    mount it in the background allowing your system to boot normally.

    > Now I find out IBM/AIX/Firefox 1.5.0.11 does not have a mail client.

    Thunderbird, sylpheed, pine all work on AIX. Even better - set up AIX
    as a pop server and use a client and platform of your choice.

    Niel

  7. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    CDE desktop needs DNS resolution of it's local name. If you ever
    configured AIX with a fixed IP address this IP address is in your
    /etc/hosts file. AIX uses DNS before it's local /etc/hosts file by
    default. This behaviour can be changed with a file /etc/netsvc.conf
    And if you ask your ISP's DNS server about the IP address of your local
    machine, your ISP's DNS would not be able to resolv it, because no one
    fed this info into it's database.

    If you like Mozilla's integrated mail and news client, there is
    Seamonkey. If you have more or equal 256 MB of RAM Seamonkey will run
    just like Firefox.

    You can download the recent Seamonkey 1.1.2 from my website:

    http://www.linkitup.de/ForAIX/Mozilla/

    If you had the IBM builds running all required dependant packages should
    still be installed on your machine. Just untar it with
    "cd /opt && bzip2 -dc / | tar -xvf -"
    and start it from a dtterm window with "/opt/seamonkey/seamonkey &"

    It's tested on AIX 4.3.3, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3

    --
    Uli

  8. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Niel & Uli
    Thanks for replies.
    Niel
    Never touched /etc/filesystems, it is as installed by bos. Had a look at
    file and saw no reference a hard mounted NFS file. Re the pop server
    suggestion, read up on it Michaels book and think it is beyond my
    capabilities at this stage. Thanks for suggestions.
    Uli
    Sorry Uli really confused how to set up AIX 4.3 and 5.2 properly in smit
    TCPIP min config
    and entries to be made in /etc/hosts and /etc/netsvc.conf when I install the
    operating system.
    I just want them to work as independent computers on my P2P network with
    their own
    browsers and a direct internet connection through the network router.
    Here is what I have

    My ISP is Bigpond.com
    Dlink router 192.168.0.1 opening page
    IP Address 144.134.173.236
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
    Gateway 144.134.173.236
    DNS 139.134.5.51 , 139.134.2.190

    7044-170 44P called martinel AIX 5.2 ML10 Browser Firefox
    Startup Characteristics:- XP machine must be going on network

    /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost
    192.168.0.142 # I manually assign from my IP address register

    /etc/netsvc.conf nothing in file

    smit TCPIP min config
    Host Name martinel martinel
    Internet Address 192.168.0.142 192.168.0.142
    Network Mask 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
    Network Interface eno eto
    Nameserver (I got off XP machine using nslookup )
    Internet Address 139.134.5.51 139.134.5.51
    Domain Name sy.dns03.tmns.net.au sy.dns03.tmns.net.au
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.1

    #nslookup ( comes up in miliseconds )
    sy-dns03.tmns.net.au ( notice hyphen after syd but it is a period above )
    139.134.5.51

    7011-250 called oldage AIX 4.3.3.11 Browser Netscape Communicator 4.8
    Startup Characteristics:- Starts okay, does not need XP going

    /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 loopback localhost
    192.168.0.166 # I manually assign from my IP address register
    192.168.0.109 hp4500dup

    /etc/netsvc.conf hosts=local, bind

    smit TCPIP min config
    Host Name oldage oldage
    Internet Address 192.168.0.166 field empty
    Network Mask 255.255.255.0 field empty
    Network Interface eno eto
    Nameserver (don't rember where I got this )
    Internet Address 144.138.100.42 144.138.100.42
    Domain Name bigpond.com bigpond.com

    #nslookup ( takes approx 4-5 minutes )
    Can't find server name for address 144.138.100.42: no response from server
    Can't find server name for address 203.49.70.20: non-existant host/domain
    ******* Default server not available

    Would appreciate from above info what are correct entries for smit TCPIP,
    hosts and netsvc.conf files

    Re the dependicies for Seamonkey.
    I firstly installed Mozilla 1.7.13 with these dependencies
    a.. atk-1.4.0-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    b.. expat-1.95.7-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    c.. fontconfig-2.2.2-3.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    d.. freetype2-2.1.7-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    e.. gettext-0.10.40-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    f.. glib2-2.2.3-3.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    g.. gtk2-2.2.4-4.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    h.. libjpeg-6b-6.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    i.. libpng-1.2.1-6.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    j.. libtiff-3.6.1-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    k.. pango-1.2.5-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    l.. xft-0.0-0.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    m.. xrender-0.0-0.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    n.. zlib-1.2.2-4.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    and when I installed Firefox I had to --force these dependencies

    a.. atk-1.10.3-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    b.. cairo-1.0.2-6.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    c.. expat-1.95.7-4.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    d.. fontconfig-2.2.2-5.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    e.. freetype2-2.1.7-5.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    f.. gettext-0.10.40-6.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    g.. glib2-2.8.1-3.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    h.. gtk2-2.8.3-9.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    i.. libjpeg-6b-6.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    j.. libpng-1.2.8-5.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    k.. libtiff-3.6.1-4.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    l.. pango-1.10.0-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    m.. xcursor-1.0.2-3.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    n.. xft-2.1.6-5.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    o.. xrender-0.8.4-7.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    p.. zlib-1.2.3-3.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
    over the Mozilla ones to get Firefox to install.

    When I install Seamonkey, after uninstalling Firefox in smit, I presume I
    will have to --forcefully reinstall the Mozilla dependencies over the
    Firefox ones currently in the computer, as there are no instructions on the
    IBM browsers site re Seamonkey.

    Thanks
    Basil

  9. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Uli found a good Red Book and just about figured it out.
    Your comments appreciated.
    Using #smit mktcpip and my 5.2 computer
    (a) HOSTNAME: will be martinel the name I gave it
    (b) Internet Address: will be 192.168.0.142 the IP address I gave it
    (c) Network Mask: will be 255.255.255.0, cannot figure out why but smit just
    bounces the network mask on the router home page 255.255.255.255. Red book
    uses 255.255.255.0
    (d) Network Interface: computer seems to set this up so I suppose all this
    info has to be fed into smit for en0 and again for et0
    (e) NAMESERVER internet address: Have to use the first DNS address
    139.134.5.51 off router page.
    (f) Domain Name: Look up 139.134.5.51 on web to find it name ie
    sy-dns03.tmns.net.au
    (g) Default Gateway: has to be router address 192.168.0.1 so browser can
    find its way to router home page to dial up ISP which holds dial up phone
    number and password.

    /etc/hosts: computer sets this up but should look like
    127.0.0.1 loopback localhost
    192.168.0.142 martinel

    /etc/netsvc.conf: Red Book says this should be hosts = NIS, local, bind
    I do not know why.

    Have not tried these settings as don't want to lock up computer and have to
    reinstall bos .
    Waiting on your advice.
    I reason AIX 4.3.3 settings do not differ from AIX 5.2
    I also presume #nslookup will work quickly and correctly in both machines.

    Many Thanks
    Basil

  10. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    On Jul 9, 9:22 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    > Uli found a good Red Book and just about figured it out.
    > (d) Network Interface: computer seems to set this up so I suppose all this
    > info has to be fed into smit for en0 and again for et0

    Unless you have a very specific setup you should not use et0. It is
    used for IEEE 802.3 type networks.

    I've never seen et0 used in practise, it is a "special case".

    > /etc/netsvc.conf: Red Book says this should be hosts = NIS, local, bind
    > I do not know why.

    If you do not use or know what NIS is, your stanza should rather be:
    hosts = local, bind

    i.e. first use /etc/hosts for lookups, and use your dns config for
    anything that could not be resolved using /etc/hosts.

    Regards
    Niel

  11. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Think I have got it working all okay, thanks to you guys.
    Got Seamonkey installed including email working.
    Niel, smit would not let me clear those et0 entries. How does one clear all
    the et0 fields without effecting en0.

    Thanks
    Basil

  12. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    Basil Holloway wrote:
    > smit would not let me clear those et0 entries.
    > How does one clear all the et0 fields without effecting en0.

    rmdev -l et0 -d

    Paul Landay

  13. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    "Paul Landay" wrote in message
    > Basil Holloway wrote:
    >> smit would not let me clear those et0 entries.
    >> How does one clear all the et0 fields without effecting en0.

    > rmdev -l et0 -d
    >
    > Paul Landay

    Thanks Paul worked great.

    Basil

  14. Re: AIX and IBM/FireFox onto web

    On Jul 9, 3:19 am, 0xbeef wrote:
    > On Jul 9, 9:22 am, "Basil Holloway" wrote:
    >
    > > Uli found a good Red Book and just about figured it out.
    > > (d) Network Interface: computer seems to set this up so I suppose all this
    > > info has to be fed into smit for en0 and again for et0

    > Unless you have a very specific setup you should not use et0. It is
    > used for IEEE 802.3 type networks.
    >
    > I've never seen et0 used in practise, it is a "special case".

    Standard Windows is not compatible with variable sized 802.5 ethernet
    packets, then it's really a "special case".

    > > /etc/netsvc.conf: Red Book says this should be hosts = NIS, local, bind
    > > I do not know why.

    > If you do not use or know what NIS is, your stanza should rather be:
    > hosts = local, bind

    Try better
    hosts = local, bind4
    to direct AIX to use DNS on IPv4 only

    > i.e. first use /etc/hosts for lookups, and use your dns config for
    > anything that could not be resolved using /etc/hosts.
    >
    > Regards
    > Niel

+ Reply to Thread