How do I know the size of L2 cache on AIX 5.3 ? - Aix

This is a discussion on How do I know the size of L2 cache on AIX 5.3 ? - Aix ; I am trying to determine the size of L2 cache on a power5 machine with AIX 5.3. I used the following command: lsattr -El L2cache0 and I got size 0 Size of L2 cache in Kbytes False I have some ...

  1. How do I know the size of L2 cache on AIX 5.3 ?

    I am trying to determine the size of L2 cache on a power5 machine with
    AIX 5.3. I used the following command:

    lsattr -El L2cache0

    and I got

    size 0 Size of L2 cache in Kbytes False

    I have some doubt about whether this is the correct way to determine
    the size of L2 cache since I did some search on web and found power5
    machine generally should have L2 cache which is not zero.

    Any one can tell me the correct way to determine the size of L2 cache
    on AIX 5.3? Thank you very much!

  2. Re: How do I know the size of L2 cache on AIX 5.3 ?

    sam wrote:
    > I am trying to determine the size of L2 cache on a power5 machine with
    > AIX 5.3. I used the following command:
    >
    > lsattr -El L2cache0
    >
    > and I got
    >
    > size 0 Size of L2 cache in Kbytes False
    >
    > I have some doubt about whether this is the correct way to determine
    > the size of L2 cache since I did some search on web and found power5
    > machine generally should have L2 cache which is not zero.
    >
    > Any one can tell me the correct way to determine the size of L2 cache
    > on AIX 5.3? Thank you very much!

    Could you be looking at an LPAR?
    On my Power5 in full system mode that 'lsattr -El L2cache0'
    does show a non-zero value, but I suspect when in an LPAR,
    especially a micro partition (fractional processor) that
    it may not show a value because the L2cache0 would be a
    shared resource amoing the partitions.

    Paul Landay

  3. Re: How do I know the size of L2 cache on AIX 5.3 ?

    On Jul 5, 2:36 am, Paul Landay wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    > > I am trying to determine the size of L2 cache on a power5 machine with
    > > AIX 5.3. I used the following command:

    > > lsattr -El L2cache0

    > > and I got

    > > size 0 Size of L2 cache in Kbytes False

    > > I have some doubt about whether this is the correct way to determine
    > > the size of L2 cache since I did some search on web and found power5
    > > machine generally should have L2 cache which is not zero.

    > > Any one can tell me the correct way to determine the size of L2 cache
    > > on AIX 5.3? Thank you very much!

    > Could you be looking at an LPAR?
    > On my Power5 in full system mode that 'lsattr -El L2cache0'
    > does show a non-zero value, but I suspect when in an LPAR,
    > especially a micro partition (fractional processor) that
    > it may not show a value because the L2cache0 would be a
    > shared resource amoing the partitions.
    >
    > Paul Landay

    Did the same command, on a partition with dedicatad cpu's, L2 size is
    given: size 1920 Size of L2 cache in Kbytes False

    On a partition with shared processors (Advanced Power Virtualization)
    nothing is shown, maybe something that could be part of lpartstat -i.

    Bernard Dhooghe

  4. Re: How do I know the size of L2 cache on AIX 5.3 ?

    maybe this will help -->

    http://www-941.ibm.com/collaboration...5+Architecture

    Rgds
    Mark Taylor