Informal Poll: Python on AIX - Aix

This is a discussion on Informal Poll: Python on AIX - Aix ; To those who don't mind sharing, I would like to know if you use Python regularly in the administration of your AIX servers. I would appreciate any information you have to share about what you use it for, how often ...

  1. Informal Poll: Python on AIX

    To those who don't mind sharing, I would like to know if you use
    Python regularly in the administration of your AIX servers.

    I would appreciate any information you have to share about what you
    use it for, how often you use it, version(s) used...

    A reply to me personally (ossray at gmail) is probably better suited
    than a post to the group. I'd be glad to forward my results on to
    anyone who asks for them via email to me.

    Thanks!

    --
    RR

  2. Re: Informal Poll: Python on AIX

    On Jun 26, 2:23 am, RR wrote:
    > To those who don't mind sharing, I would like to know if you use
    > Python regularly in the administration of your AIX servers.

    Well, over here, Python is not even installed on any of my AIX boxen.
    Admin scripts get written either in ksh or in perl.

    Hope this helps,
    Menno

  3. Re: Informal Poll: Python on AIX

    On 26 Jun, 02:23, RR wrote:
    > To those who don't mind sharing, I would like to know if you use
    > Python regularly in the administration of your AIX servers.
    >
    > I would appreciate any information you have to share about what you
    > use it for, how often you use it, version(s) used...
    >
    > A reply to me personally (ossray at gmail) is probably better suited
    > than a post to the group. I'd be glad to forward my results on to
    > anyone who asks for them via email to me.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > RR

    HI,

    I use python extensivley in my AIX environments. It has completely
    replaced ksh / perl etc.. in our shop. It is easy to learn & use
    effectivley, and presents code that is much easier to pick up and
    follow than either KSH or Perl.

    A small amount of legwork needed to be done to repalce absic perl/ksh
    functions we had. But, once that hurdle was overcome everything else
    fell into place over a failry short period of time.

    Ultimatley, we are now developing an 'enterprise shell and monitoring/
    reporting tool' written purely in python that enables us to maintain
    all our machines, switches (SAN Fibre & ethernet) etc.. through a
    single 'shell'.

    Python is great, and well worth the small amount of time to learn. It
    produces results fast.

    Matt.!

  4. Re: Informal Poll: Python on AIX

    MattWarren wrote:

    > Ultimatley, we are now developing an 'enterprise shell and monitoring/
    > reporting tool' written purely in python that enables us to maintain
    > all our machines, switches (SAN Fibre & ethernet) etc.. through a
    > single 'shell'.

    Would you like to share some information about this project? Do you
    intend to make this open source, what switches and SANs are targetted?

    GG

+ Reply to Thread