Free memory SNMP - Aix

This is a discussion on Free memory SNMP - Aix ; Is there an OID and any way to get available memory of free memory or free pages, via SNMP? I have all the SNMP agents, and have included the 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.191 string as well, but I can't find free memory, or ...

  1. Free memory SNMP

    Is there an OID and any way to get available memory of free memory or
    free pages, via SNMP?

    I have all the SNMP agents, and have included the 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.191
    string as well, but
    I can't find free memory, or even free pages.

    Thanks for the help.

  2. Re: Free memory SNMP

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:24:43 -0000, cuzrich@gmail.com wrote:

    >Is there an OID and any way to get available memory of free memory or
    >free pages, via SNMP?
    >
    > I have all the SNMP agents, and have included the 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.191
    >string as well, but
    >I can't find free memory, or even free pages.
    >
    >Thanks for the help.

    I think you are using incorrect OID, it does not seem to exist (and few levels
    of OIDs above it do not exist, too). For AIX 5.3 snmpd there are few OIDsin
    HOST-RESOURCES-MIB, such as:

    HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.XX or
    HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageUsed.XX
    where XX is index (both RAM and storage devices are listed here, allocation unit
    size is 4K for AIX)

    you can tell RAM from disk by examining HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrDeviceType.XX
    where XX is same index

    I am not sure how to translate OID names to 'dot notation', though; I guess you
    will need MIB files for this. I obtained names above by using 'snmpwalk' from a
    Linux system and they seem to 'understand' symbolic names:

    [quote]
    # snmpget -v1 -c public 10.1.0.26 HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.15
    HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.15 = INTEGER: 3178496
    [unquote]

    Alex

  3. Re: Free memory SNMP

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:10:59 +0300, AlexB wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:24:43 -0000, cuzrich@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Is there an OID and any way to get available memory of free memory or
    >>free pages, via SNMP?
    >>
    >> I have all the SNMP agents, and have included the 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.191
    >>string as well, but
    >>I can't find free memory, or even free pages.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the help.

    >I think you are using incorrect OID, it does not seem to exist (and few levels
    >of OIDs above it do not exist, too). For AIX 5.3 snmpd there are few OIDs in
    >HOST-RESOURCES-MIB, such as:
    >
    >HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.XX or
    >HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageUsed.XX
    >where XX is index (both RAM and storage devices are listed here, allocation unit
    >size is 4K for AIX)
    >
    >you can tell RAM from disk by examining HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrDeviceType.XX
    >where XX is same index
    >
    >I am not sure how to translate OID names to 'dot notation', though; I guess you
    >will need MIB files for this. I obtained names above by using 'snmpwalk'from a
    >Linux system and they seem to 'understand' symbolic names:
    >
    >[quote]
    ># snmpget -v1 -c public 10.1.0.26 HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.15
    >HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrStorageSize.15 = INTEGER: 3178496
    >[unquote]
    >
    >Alex

    seems that you can use 'snmpinfo -m dump -h ' in AIX to dump
    whole MIB and find out 'dot notation' representation for OIDs. Just foundout...

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread