memory use (avm/fre) - Aix

This is a discussion on memory use (avm/fre) - Aix ; Using vmstat, is the active memory (avm) compared in relation to the free (fre) memory, a good metric for memory usage? aidy...

  1. memory use (avm/fre)

    Using vmstat, is the active memory (avm) compared in relation to the
    free (fre) memory, a good metric for memory usage?

    aidy

  2. Re: memory use (avm/fre)

    On Jun 4, 12:45 pm, aidy wrote:
    > Using vmstat, is the active memory (avm) compared in relation to the
    > free (fre) memory, a good metric for memory usage?

    No, they are not directly related. It is possible for a large program
    to have a large amount of unused memory pages dormant in paging.

    These are my favourite memory related checks:
    AVM > realmem - if memory is over-committed (specifically comp.
    memory)
    fre - if the "free" memory pool is getting depleted
    high po/pi activity - paging to/from disk
    po:fr - how badly the system is thrashing
    sr:fr - how busy the VMM is trying to steal pages

    cheers
    Niel

+ Reply to Thread