AIX NIS / VP Client - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX NIS / VP Client - Aix ; I am lucky enough to be supporting a real mix of old & new flavours of unix. This includes AIX 4.3.3, 5L 5.2 & 5L 5.3. I was wondering if someone can confirm if it is possible to run the ...

  1. AIX NIS / VP Client

    I am lucky enough to be supporting a real mix of old & new flavours of
    unix.
    This includes AIX 4.3.3, 5L 5.2 & 5L 5.3.

    I was wondering if someone can confirm if it is possible to run the
    above
    releases of AIX as NIS clients whilst still using a local /etc/
    services
    rather than an services file served by NIS.

    Obviously AIX doens't have the nsswitch.conf file. I some digging
    around I
    can't seem to find a way of forcing the local /etc/services file to be
    used.

    Any ideas ?

    Regards

  2. Re: AIX NIS / VP Client

    On Jun 1, 10:58 am, p...@paulcarruthers.co.uk wrote:
    > I am lucky enough to be supporting a real mix of old & new flavours of
    > unix.
    > This includes AIX 4.3.3, 5L 5.2 & 5L 5.3.
    >
    > I was wondering if someone can confirm if it is possible to run the
    > above
    > releases of AIX as NIS clients whilst still using a local /etc/
    > services
    > rather than an services file served by NIS.
    >
    > Obviously AIX doens't have the nsswitch.conf file. I some digging
    > around I
    > can't seem to find a way of forcing the local /etc/services file to be
    > used.
    >
    > Any ideas ?
    >
    > Regards

    NIS used by default the local files. See for details
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ai...ry/au-nis.html

    In our environment all needed files are copied into the /var/yp
    directory and rc.nfs has been patched. Thus i have no problems with
    users updating their password , local and nis user accounts.
    The same should work for services file.

    hth
    Hajo

  3. Re: AIX NIS / VP Client

    paul@paulcarruthers.co.uk schrieb:

    > Obviously AIX doens't have the nsswitch.conf file.

    maybe /etc/netsvc.conf is what you're looking for ?

+ Reply to Thread