login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MS Active Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creating a directory say "/home/user1 and login there? - Aix

This is a discussion on login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MS Active Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creating a directory say "/home/user1 and login there? - Aix ; Message on Login screen is like this. 3004-614 Unable to change directory to "/home/user1". You are in "/home/guest" instead. How to fix this issue so that the user logs in to /home/user1 instead....

  1. login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MS Active Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creating a directory say "/home/user1 and login there?

    Message on Login screen is like this.

    3004-614 Unable to change directory to "/home/user1".
    You are in "/home/guest" instead.

    How to fix this issue so that the user logs in to /home/user1 instead.

  2. Re: login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MSActive Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creatinga directory say "/home/user1 and login there?

    kumaaraswamy@gmail.com wrote:
    > Message on Login screen is like this.
    >
    > 3004-614 Unable to change directory to "/home/user1".
    > You are in "/home/guest" instead.
    >
    > How to fix this issue so that the user logs in to /home/user1 instead.

    Make sure that /home/user1 exists and that user1 owns /home/user1.

  3. Re: login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MS Active Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creating a directory say "/home/user1 and login there?

    Is it that the "user1" should be present on the AIX machine locally.

    If we login as a ldap user say "user1" then it will not create any
    directory on the AIX machine automatically.

  4. Re: login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MSActive Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creatinga directory say "/home/user1 and login there?

    kumaaraswamy@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is it that the "user1" should be present on the AIX machine locally.
    >
    > If we login as a ldap user say "user1" then it will not create any
    > directory on the AIX machine automatically.

    When you log in as "user1", do an "id user1". It should give you back
    the UID/GID of user1. Once you have that information, make sure that
    /home/user1 has that exact user/group ownership. After you make that
    change, the message should go away. Right now, user1 doesn't even have
    the permissions to change to that directory.

    As far as how the directory gets created first, I believe you will have
    to create the directory manually on every server you want the user to be
    able to log into, with the proper UID/GID, of course. I personally am
    proof testing a product called Vintela, which does all of this for me,
    but native LDAP,AD isn't so seemless. It gives you the central user
    repository, but the rest is up to you. There are some added extensions
    in Windows 2003 R3, but I don't know the details on what they do for
    this process. I would also look over
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247165.html.

  5. Re: login to a AIX 5.3 machine as a ldap user say "user1" from MS Active Directory login in to /home/guest directory. Why is it not creating a directory say "/home/user1 and login there?

    Thanks, Once I add the directory locally on the AIX machine ldap user
    is now able to login to the correct directory.
    I thought initially the user will be loged to the home directory what
    is specified on the unix attribute part of the active directory
    server.

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread