ds4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER fw upgrade - Aix

This is a discussion on ds4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER fw upgrade - Aix ; Hello all, This is my first time upgrading DS4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER using FastT v9.23. I already downloaded the firmware, now what is the next step..How do upgrade my firmwares in the FastT and what order should go first.. Thanks ...

  1. ds4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER fw upgrade

    Hello all,

    This is my first time upgrading DS4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER
    using FastT v9.23.
    I already downloaded the firmware, now what is the next step..How do
    upgrade my firmwares in the FastT and what order should go first..

    Thanks
    pinoy

  2. Re: ds4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER fw upgrade

    pinoy2ser wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > This is my first time upgrading DS4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER
    > using FastT v9.23.
    > I already downloaded the firmware, now what is the next step..How do
    > upgrade my firmwares in the FastT and what order should go first..
    >
    > Thanks
    > pinoy

    It's actually pretty straightforward, but since you say you haven't done
    it before, you ought to review the docs before you actually do the
    upgrade. If you have very old code installed, the upgrade could be a
    multi-step process. Exact procedure depends on the level of firmware you
    are going from and to. Check the readme files for both the firmware in
    ESM code.

    There are actually three components- the controller firmware (CFW) and
    NVSRAM- both of which load on the controller- and the ESM code. You
    should generally select to upload the NVSRAM when you do the CFW.

    ESM code should be done separately. It is also concurrent, but you
    should do them one at a time. When you unpack the zip file with the ESM
    code, you'll find a subdirectory for each type of supported EXP drawer-
    EXP700, EXP710, or EXP100 for the DS4500. Download the v1.53 package.
    You'll get-
    For EXP700, esm9330
    for EXP710, esm9661
    for EXP810, exm9898
    for EXP100, esm9563, separately downloadable/

    Since I have no idea what kind of DDMs you have, or how long it has been
    since this system has been upgraded, you should at least check the DDM
    code levels installed to see whether those need upgrading, too.

    DDM upgrade is not a concurrent upgrade. The rest of it should be, but
    the controllers do reboot (one at a time)when they're upgraded, so make
    sure all of your hosts have dual paths- one to each controller, so
    things failover correctly- and it's advisable not to do any upgrade
    under full I/O load, when doing daily backups, etc. If you have hosts
    with a single path to one controller only, or you're not zoned properly,
    best to shut down those hosts first.

    The other caveat is, if you have SVC in front of the DS4500, check with
    support before you upgrade- some activities may cause mdisks to go
    offline unexpectedly.

    And always upgrade your Storage Manager before you do anything else,
    then check the gui to make sure everything is optimal.

    You have a couple of choices for firmware- 6.23.05.00 or 6.12.56.00. If
    you're are current running 6.12.x.x firmware, may be simpler for you to
    stay in that code stream, but it will be the final build in that stream.
    If you're current CFW is so old it's below 6.x.x.x, call support first.

  3. Re: ds4500 ESM&HDD and CONTROLLER fw upgrade

    Thanks for the great info...

+ Reply to Thread