    Where should I edit the AIX System settings so that it check for the
    users 10 characters password.

  2. Re: User Password of a user is 10 character but if I give the first 8 character rightly it login to the AIX machine.

    On 2007-05-25, kumaaraswamy@gmail.com wrote:
    > User Password of a user is 10 character but if I give the first 8
    > character rightly it login to the AIX machine.
    >
    > Where should I edit the AIX System settings so that it check for the
    > users 10 characters password.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ng_options.htm

    "The minimum length of a password on the system is set by the value of
    the minlen attribute or the value of the minalpha attribute plus the
    value of the minother attribute, whichever is greater. The maximum
    length of a password is 8 characters. ..."

    For passwords longer than 8 characters you need to use PAM
    (with e.g. MD5 passwords) and/or LDAP.

    Regards,

    Frank

  3. Re: User Password of a user is 10 character but if I give the first 8 character rightly it login to the AIX machine.

    That is standard UNIX behaviour, standar for at less 25 years. If you
    need longer passwords that eight chars, you must use AIX v5.3 and you
    must set up the MAXLEN+1 in smit chgsys (attrib MAX_LOGNAME).

  4. Re: User Password of a user is 10 character but if I give the first 8 character rightly it login to the AIX machine.

    Thanks for the information..

+ Reply to Thread