FTPing COMP-3 data file from mainframe to UNIX - Aix

This is a discussion on FTPing COMP-3 data file from mainframe to UNIX - Aix ; hi, I am actually trying to ftp a PS file from mainframe to UNIX. The contents of the PS file are data declared as S9(8) COMP-3 and 9(2). When i ftp this file to UNIX in ASCII mode , i ...

  1. FTPing COMP-3 data file from mainframe to UNIX

    hi,

    I am actually trying to ftp a PS file from mainframe to UNIX.

    The contents of the PS file are data declared as S9(8) COMP-3 and
    9(2).

    When i ftp this file to UNIX in ASCII mode , i am able to read
    the data declared as 9(2) as it is but there is a
    erroneuos read as far as the COMP-3 data is concerned.

    When i ftp this file to UNIX in BINARY mode , i am able to read
    the data declared as COMP-3 as it is but
    there is a erroneuos read as far as the 9(2) data is concerned.

    The ftped data in UNIX is being read using a cobol program.
    The cobol program is being compiled using the command "cob -iaPV
    filename.cbl".
    The cobol program is being run using the command "cobrun
    filename.int".

    The above commands are provided by microfocus.ie. the cobol
    program is being executed on a UNIX
    environment using MICRO FOCUS SERVER EXPRESS 4.0 SP2.

    Pls let me know how i can read both the types of data
    successfully.

  2. Re: FTPing COMP-3 data file from mainframe to UNIX

    kimi wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I am actually trying to ftp a PS file from mainframe to UNIX.
    >
    > The contents of the PS file are data declared as S9(8) COMP-3 and
    > 9(2).
    >
    > When i ftp this file to UNIX in ASCII mode , i am able to read
    > the data declared as 9(2) as it is but there is a
    > erroneuos read as far as the COMP-3 data is concerned.
    >
    > When i ftp this file to UNIX in BINARY mode , i am able to read
    > the data declared as COMP-3 as it is but
    > there is a erroneuos read as far as the 9(2) data is concerned.
    >
    > The ftped data in UNIX is being read using a cobol program.
    > The cobol program is being compiled using the command "cob -iaPV
    > filename.cbl".
    > The cobol program is being run using the command "cobrun
    > filename.int".
    >
    > The above commands are provided by microfocus.ie. the cobol
    > program is being executed on a UNIX
    > environment using MICRO FOCUS SERVER EXPRESS 4.0 SP2.
    >
    > Pls let me know how i can read both the types of data
    > successfully.

    What is a PS file?
    If you mean a postscript file, then a cobol program shouldn't be
    able to read it at all.

    What platforms are your UNIX.
    If they are both AIX, then it shouldn't matter whether you use
    ascii or binary transfer.

    What is an "erroneuos read"?
    Are you getting an execution time error or are you just getting
    the wrong results.

    I would guess that at least one of the machines is not AIX and
    the two machines very likely have an different Endian setup.

  3. Re: FTPing COMP-3 data file from mainframe to UNIX

    kimi wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I am actually trying to ftp a PS file from mainframe to UNIX.
    >
    > The contents of the PS file are data declared as S9(8) COMP-3 and
    > 9(2).
    >
    > When i ftp this file to UNIX in ASCII mode , i am able to read
    > the data declared as 9(2) as it is but there is a
    > erroneuos read as far as the COMP-3 data is concerned.
    >
    > When i ftp this file to UNIX in BINARY mode , i am able to read
    > the data declared as COMP-3 as it is but
    > there is a erroneuos read as far as the 9(2) data is concerned.
    >
    > The ftped data in UNIX is being read using a cobol program.
    > The cobol program is being compiled using the command "cob -iaPV
    > filename.cbl".
    > The cobol program is being run using the command "cobrun
    > filename.int".
    >
    > The above commands are provided by microfocus.ie. the cobol
    > program is being executed on a UNIX
    > environment using MICRO FOCUS SERVER EXPRESS 4.0 SP2.
    >
    > Pls let me know how i can read both the types of data
    > successfully.

    If any of the data in a file is binary, then you need to send the file
    in binary.
    ASCII mode is only useful if the whole file is text.

    Easiest might be if there is an option on the mainframe to export the
    text
    field preformatted. If you can't do it on the mainframe, then you
    will need to
    know the record format and get someone to write you a little perl
    script to convert the records on the AIX box from the mainframe format
    to ascii.
    --S

+ Reply to Thread