SMagent wont start - Aix

This is a discussion on SMagent wont start - Aix ; I have a few DS4000 range storage arrays. Some work just fine for in band and out of band communication. I have a couple that (since applying updates to AIX early this year) SMagent refuses to start (we are updating ...

  1. SMagent wont start

    I have a few DS4000 range storage arrays.
    Some work just fine for in band and out of band communication.

    I have a couple that (since applying updates to AIX early this year)
    SMagent refuses to start (we are updating them to the 9.25 version).
    What I get is the following output:

    =>SMagent start
    IBM FAStT Storage Manager Agent, Version 09.10.65.01
    Built Tue Aug 17 21:59:19 GMT 2004
    (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corporation, 2004
    Licensed Material - Program Property of IBM. All rights reserved.
    Checking device /dev/dac0 : Skipping
    Checking device /dev/dac1 : Skipping
    Checking device /dev/rhdisk1 : Skipping
    Checking device /dev/rhdisk2 : Skipping
    Checking device /dev/rhdisk3 : Skipping

    The SMagent service attempted to start but terminated. Possible causes
    include: [1] The access logical drive is disabled in NVSRAM. [2] No
    controllers with compatible firmware were found. [3] The default
    logical unit number (LUN) assigned to the access logical drive
    (typically 7 or 31) is not in the range supported by the host or is
    already in use by the host for another device. See your storage
    management documentation for more details.

    On antoher machine I get similar output except it is working and looks
    like this:

    =>SMagent start
    IBM System Storage DS4000/FAStT Storage Manager Agent, Version
    09.16.65.04
    Built Sat Aug 12 21:46:38 GMT 2006
    (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corporation, 2003-2006
    Licensed Material - Program Property of IBM. All rights reserved.
    Checking device /dev/rhdisk1 : Skipping
    Checking device /dev/dac0 : Activating
    Checking device /dev/dac1 : Activating
    Checking device /dev/rhdisk2 : Skipping
    Checking device /dev/rhdisk4 : Skipping

    Running...

    Has anyone seen this before?
    The only difference I see is that the dac show activating on the
    "working" machine.
    I have checked driver revisions and I see the "broken" machine being
    at the proper levels to support the drivers and software in question.

    As far as I can tell this has something to do with RDAC driver, but it
    looks good and the system accesses the DS4000 storage. We jsut cant do
    in band management.

    The most I have been able to locate on this is a bit in the storage
    manager release .txt file:

    "there is an additional e-fix that is required when using in band
    client management that resolves a problem with the UTM discovery."

    So far I have not been able to find this thing.

  2. Re: SMagent wont start

    demianphill...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a few DS4000 range storage arrays.
    > Some work just fine for in band and out of band communication.
    >
    > I have a couple that (since applying updates to AIX early this year)
    > SMagent refuses to start (we are updating them to the 9.25 version).
    > What I get is the following output:
    >
    > =>SMagent start
    > IBM FAStT Storage Manager Agent, Version 09.10.65.01
    > Built Tue Aug 17 21:59:19 GMT 2004
    > (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corporation, 2004
    > Licensed Material - Program Property of IBM. All rights reserved.
    > Checking device /dev/dac0 : Skipping
    > Checking device /dev/dac1 : Skipping
    > Checking device /dev/rhdisk1 : Skipping
    > Checking device /dev/rhdisk2 : Skipping
    > Checking device /dev/rhdisk3 : Skipping
    >
    > The SMagent service attempted to start but terminated. Possible causes
    > include: [1] The access logical drive is disabled in NVSRAM. [2] No
    > controllers with compatible firmware were found. [3] The default
    > logical unit number (LUN) assigned to the access logical drive
    > (typically 7 or 31) is not in the range supported by the host or is
    > already in use by the host for another device. See your storage
    > management documentation for more details.
    >
    > On antoher machine I get similar output except it is working and looks
    > like this:
    >
    > =>SMagent start
    > IBM System Storage DS4000/FAStT Storage Manager Agent, Version
    > 09.16.65.04
    > Built Sat Aug 12 21:46:38 GMT 2006
    > (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corporation, 2003-2006
    > Licensed Material - Program Property of IBM. All rights reserved.
    > Checking device /dev/rhdisk1 : Skipping
    > Checking device /dev/dac0 : Activating
    > Checking device /dev/dac1 : Activating
    > Checking device /dev/rhdisk2 : Skipping
    > Checking device /dev/rhdisk4 : Skipping
    >
    > Running...
    >

    > Has anyone seen this before?
    > The only difference I see is that the dac show activating on the
    > "working" machine.
    > I have checked driver revisions and I see the "broken" machine being
    > at the proper levels to support the drivers and software in question.
    >
    > As far as I can tell this has something to do with RDAC driver, but it
    > looks good and the system accesses the DS4000 storage. We jsut cant do
    > in band management.
    >
    > The most I have been able to locate on this is a bit in the storage
    > manager release .txt file:
    >
    > "there is an additional e-fix that is required when using in band
    > client management that resolves a problem with the UTM discovery."
    >
    > So far I have not been able to find this thing.

    After getting a snap file to IBM and 2 escalations through storage
    support, I got a result.

    There is a patch to AIX diskarray support for AIX 5.3 that fixes the
    issue.
    U810457.bff

    I do not know if this is available from the normal FTP repositories as
    the support staff at IBM gave me a link to testcase.software.ibm.com
    to get it.

  3. Re: SMagent wont start

    On May 25, 11:22 am, demianphill...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    > > As far as I can tell this has something to do with RDAC driver, but it
    > > looks good and the system accesses the DS4000 storage. We jsut cant do
    > > in band management.

    > > The most I have been able to locate on this is a bit in the storage
    > > manager release .txt file:

    > > "there is an additional e-fix that is required when using in band
    > > client management that resolves a problem with the UTM discovery."

    > > So far I have not been able to find this thing.

    > After getting a snap file to IBM and 2 escalations through storage
    > support, I got a result.
    >
    > There is a patch to AIX diskarray support for AIX 5.3 that fixes the
    > issue.
    > U810457.bff
    >
    > I do not know if this is available from the normal FTP repositories as
    > the support staff at IBM gave me a link to testcase.software.ibm.com

    Looks like its this one:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=isg1IY93200
    It can be downloaded from Fix Central using "Specific Fixes"
    for APAR IY93200.

    -- S

+ Reply to Thread