Volume Group Question - Aix

This is a discussion on Volume Group Question - Aix ; I was wondering, what is the DISADVANTAGE of creating a volume group as "Big" or "Scalable"? Why not create all VGs as this, instead of standard default (max of 32 PVs). TIA...

  1. Volume Group Question

    I was wondering, what is the DISADVANTAGE of creating a volume group
    as "Big" or "Scalable"? Why not create all VGs as this, instead of
    standard default (max of 32 PVs).

    TIA

  2. Re: Volume Group Question

    On May 18, 8:25 am, Mag wrote:
    > I was wondering, what is the DISADVANTAGE of creating a volume group
    > as "Big" or "Scalable"? Why not create all VGs as this, instead of
    > standard default (max of 32 PVs).
    >
    > TIA

    For most of the cases, Big VG is more than enough. The scalable VGs
    are mostly targeted towards
    more # of disks rather than anything else. - Just to let you know for
    the SVGs , the lvm metadata stored will
    be much more than compared to the other. Recovery mechanism is also
    more complex..(incase you endup
    having Metadata corruption)

  3. Re: Volume Group Question

    On May 18, 3:25 pm, Mag wrote:
    > I was wondering, what is the DISADVANTAGE of creating a volume group
    > as "Big" or "Scalable"? Why not create all VGs as this, instead of
    > standard default (max of 32 PVs).

    LVM commands on big/scalable VGs are said to be slower somewhere in
    the man-pages (perhaps man mklv).

    More importantly, if I had to create big/scalable VGs, I would
    immediately head off to

    http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fcgui.jsp

    to see that all known APARs that mentions big/scalable VGs on my
    particular level of AIX is actually installed.

    On AIX 5.3, I wouldn't even consider doing this if the level is lower
    than 5300-04.

    Regards,
    Niel

  4. Re: Volume Group Question

    On May 20, 3:10 pm, 0xbeef wrote:
    > On May 18, 3:25 pm, Mag wrote:
    >
    > > I was wondering, what is the DISADVANTAGE of creating a volume group
    > > as "Big" or "Scalable"? Why not create all VGs as this, instead of
    > > standard default (max of 32 PVs).

    > LVM commands on big/scalable VGs are said to be slower somewhere in
    > the man-pages (perhaps man mklv).
    >
    > More importantly, if I had to create big/scalable VGs, I would
    > immediately head off to
    >
    > http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fcgui.jsp
    >
    > to see that all known APARs that mentions big/scalable VGs on my
    > particular level of AIX is actually installed.
    >
    > On AIX 5.3, I wouldn't even consider doing this if the level is lower
    > than 5300-04.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Niel

    Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread