Tprof micro-profiling troubles - Aix

This is a discussion on Tprof micro-profiling troubles - Aix ; Hi, I'm having some trouble using Tprof's micro-profiling option, specifically it seems to hang no matter what I try. I'm using the XL C/ C++ and Fortran compilers, and I make sure to use -g and/or -qlist to generate debug ...

  1. Tprof micro-profiling troubles

    Hi,

    I'm having some trouble using Tprof's micro-profiling option,
    specifically it seems to hang no matter what I try. I'm using the XL C/
    C++ and Fortran compilers, and I make sure to use -g and/or -qlist to
    generate debug info and listings when compiling, but invoking Tprof
    with -m consistently seems to hang it. Everything works fine without -
    m however. I've tried various compiler flags (various optimization
    levels, etc) and various Tprof flags, but no dice. I'm running AIX 5.3
    on a POWER5 machine, XL C/C++ 8 and XL Fortran 10.1.

    If anyone has a suggestion or has successfully used the micro-
    profiling feature I would appreciate some insights.

  2. Re: Tprof micro-profiling troubles

    On May 17, 8:09 pm, y...@dodgeit.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having some trouble using Tprof's micro-profiling option,
    > specifically it seems to hang no matter what I try. I'm using the XL C/
    > C++ and Fortran compilers, and I make sure to use -g and/or -qlist to
    > generate debug info and listings when compiling, but invoking Tprof
    > with -m consistently seems to hang it. Everything works fine without -
    > m however. I've tried various compiler flags (various optimization
    > levels, etc) and various Tprof flags, but no dice. I'm running AIX 5.3
    > on a POWER5 machine, XL C/C++ 8 and XL Fortran 10.1.
    >
    > If anyone has a suggestion or has successfully used the micro-
    > profiling feature I would appreciate some insights.

    If you are using micro-profiling for the user space subroutines/
    functions, u can get this done
    using gprof as well. - Checkout the manpage and you _hve_ to compile
    using -pg flag...

    Theoretically, if your program is multithreaded / forked......tprof is
    much better. - Gprof simply clobbers
    the gmon.out file, and you endup having wrong callgraph/profile data.

+ Reply to Thread