AIX Performance toolbox - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX Performance toolbox - Aix ; Hello All, Anyone know where I can get xmperf ( http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/ infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.prfusrgd/doc/ prfusrgd/xmperf.htm) I would like to use this tool, but I can't seem to find its related filesets. Is this a free product or licensed? Thanks!...

  1. AIX Performance toolbox

    Hello All,

    Anyone know where I can get xmperf (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/
    infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.prfusrgd/doc/
    prfusrgd/xmperf.htm)

    I would like to use this tool, but I can't seem to find its related
    filesets. Is this a free product or licensed?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: AIX Performance toolbox

    Mag writes:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > Anyone know where I can get xmperf (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/
    > infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.prfusrgd/doc/
    > prfusrgd/xmperf.htm)
    >
    > I would like to use this tool, but I can't seem to find its related
    > filesets. Is this a free product or licensed?
    >
    > Thanks!

    xmperf is a piece of the "AIX Performance Toolbox", which is a Licensed
    product.

    Until AIX 5.3 ML ( mumble ) the agent which provided the statistics
    (xmservd) that xmperf displays was part of the Licensed product AIX
    Performance AIDE.

    The base OS has began including (sometimes upgraded) pieces of the
    AIDE package, and several of the tools such as topas have been
    converted to use the SPMI interface to collect their performance
    metrics . xmtopas (an update/replacement of the xmservd daemon in
    AIDE) is now included in "the base", and is also officially supported
    on VIO Servers, so that topas (or xmperf and friends) can remotely
    monitor VIO servers.

    --
    #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */

  3. Re: AIX Performance toolbox

    On May 17, 10:19 am, lath...@us.ibm.com (Richard D. Latham) wrote:
    > Mag writes:
    > > Hello All,

    > > Anyone know where I can get xmperf (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/
    > > infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.prfusrgd/doc/
    > > prfusrgd/xmperf.htm)

    > > I would like to use this tool, but I can't seem to find its related
    > > filesets. Is this a free product or licensed?

    > > Thanks!

    > xmperf is a piece of the "AIX Performance Toolbox", which is a Licensed
    > product.
    >
    > Until AIX 5.3 ML ( mumble ) the agent which provided the statistics
    > (xmservd) that xmperf displays was part of the Licensed product AIX
    > Performance AIDE.
    >
    > The base OS has began including (sometimes upgraded) pieces of the
    > AIDE package, and several of the tools such as topas have been
    > converted to use the SPMI interface to collect their performance
    > metrics . xmtopas (an update/replacement of the xmservd daemon in
    > AIDE) is now included in "the base", and is also officially supported
    > on VIO Servers, so that topas (or xmperf and friends) can remotely
    > monitor VIO servers.
    >
    > --
    > #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    > /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */
    > /* Don't believe me ? Ask my wife :-) */
    > Richard D. Latham lath...@us.ibm.com

    Richard:
    Thanks for the response.

    So, I am guessing we would have to buy this product for AIX 5.3 since
    its Licensed.
    Is that correct?

  4. Re: AIX Performance toolbox

    Mag writes:

    > On May 17, 10:19 am, lath...@us.ibm.com (Richard D. Latham) wrote:
    >> Mag writes:
    >> > Hello All,

    >> > Anyone know where I can get xmperf (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/
    >> > infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.prfusrgd/doc/
    >> > prfusrgd/xmperf.htm)

    >> > I would like to use this tool, but I can't seem to find its related
    >> > filesets. Is this a free product or licensed?

    >> > Thanks!

    >> xmperf is a piece of the "AIX Performance Toolbox", which is a Licensed
    >> product.
    >>
    >> Until AIX 5.3 ML ( mumble ) the agent which provided the statistics
    >> (xmservd) that xmperf displays was part of the Licensed product AIX
    >> Performance AIDE.
    >>
    >> The base OS has began including (sometimes upgraded) pieces of the
    >> AIDE package, and several of the tools such as topas have been
    >> converted to use the SPMI interface to collect their performance
    >> metrics . xmtopas (an update/replacement of the xmservd daemon in
    >> AIDE) is now included in "the base", and is also officially supported
    >> on VIO Servers, so that topas (or xmperf and friends) can remotely
    >> monitor VIO servers.
    >>
    >> --
    >> #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    >> /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */
    >> /* Don't believe me ? Ask my wife :-) */
    >> Richard D. Latham lath...@us.ibm.com

    > Richard:
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > So, I am guessing we would have to buy this product for AIX 5.3 since
    > its Licensed.
    > Is that correct?

    As far as I know, we're still charging for the Toolbox .

    --
    #include /* I don't speak for IBM ... */
    /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */
    /* Don't believe me ? Ask my wife :-) */
    Richard D. Latham lathamr@us.ibm.com

  5. Re: AIX Performance toolbox

    Mag schrieb:
    [snip]
    > So, I am guessing we would have to buy this product for AIX 5.3 since
    > its Licensed.
    > Is that correct?

    I've heard rumors the toolbox will pass away sooner or later. But there
    is a new thing - ITM SE for system p that will be the successor for the
    toolbox. Maybe you should ask your sales rep before bying an outdated
    product.

    Patrick

+ Reply to Thread