WTB - IBM RS6000 server cheap - Aix

This is a discussion on WTB - IBM RS6000 server cheap - Aix ; I am looking for an RS6000 server that can run (preferably already includes) AIX 5.2. We need this as a test platform, so we don't have to thrash away at our production server (an H80) when we upgrade it from ...

  1. WTB - IBM RS6000 server cheap

    I am looking for an RS6000 server that can run (preferably already
    includes) AIX 5.2. We need this as a test platform, so we don't have
    to thrash away at our production server (an H80) when we upgrade it
    from 4.3.3 to 5.2. It won't be used for production work, so cheap is
    good. I am looking at a 43p-150 or 44p-170, but will look at other
    hardware as long as it can run 5.2 guaranteed. We have an R24, but I
    get conflicting indications about whether we can make 5.2 work on
    it...
    If you have anything, please email me at:

    bholman AT cebridge DOT net

    Thanks!
    Brad

  2. Re: WTB - IBM RS6000 server cheap

    On May 16, 11:45 am, brad wrote:
    > I am looking for an RS6000 server that can run (preferably already
    > includes) AIX 5.2. We need this as a test platform, so we don't have
    > to thrash away at our production server (an H80) when we upgrade it
    > from 4.3.3 to 5.2. It won't be used for production work, so cheap is
    > good. I am looking at a 43p-150 or 44p-170, but will look at other
    > hardware as long as it can run 5.2 guaranteed. We have an R24, but I
    > get conflicting indications about whether we can make 5.2 work on
    > it...
    > If you have anything, please email me at:
    >
    > bholman AT cebridge DOT net
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Brad

    How cheap is "cheap".......here is one that I think is pretty cheap:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/RS-6000-44P-Mode...QQcmdZViewItem

    CT the Thrifty

  3. Re: WTB - IBM RS6000 server cheap

    In article <1179330312.958048.235290@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>,
    brad wrote:
    >I am looking for an RS6000 server that can run (preferably already
    >includes) AIX 5.2. We need this as a test platform, so we don't have
    >to thrash away at our production server (an H80) when we upgrade it
    >from 4.3.3 to 5.2. It won't be used for production work, so cheap is
    >good. I am looking at a 43p-150 or 44p-170, but will look at other
    >hardware as long as it can run 5.2 guaranteed. We have an R24, but I
    >get conflicting indications about whether we can make 5.2 work on
    >it...
    >If you have anything, please email me at:
    >
    >bholman AT cebridge DOT net

    There's generally a bunch of them available via eBay (most of what I
    see on there are 43Ps and 44Ps). A 44p will run AIX 5.3, so it will
    definitely run 5.2. While most of the systems I've seen come with 5.1,
    5.2 or 5.3 pre-loaded, were I in your shoes, I'd want to have the
    actual OS media (in case testing caused something that required a
    re-imaging of the OS).

    -tom

    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me

+ Reply to Thread