Symbol __mcount is not exported - Aix

This is a discussion on Symbol __mcount is not exported - Aix ; Hi All, I am having trouble running a simple application on AIX. Everything compiles fine, but when I try to execute i get the follwing error: Could not load program ./test_client: Symbol resolution failed for ./libClient.current.so because: Symbol __mcount (number ...

  1. Symbol __mcount is not exported

    Hi All,

    I am having trouble running a simple application on AIX. Everything
    compiles fine, but when I try to execute i get the follwing error:

    Could not load program ./test_client:
    Symbol resolution failed for ./libClient.current.so because:
    Symbol __mcount (number 8) is not exported from dependent
    module /usr/lib/libC.a[shr_64.o].
    System error: Error 0
    Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.

    How do I tell the compiler to import this symbol?

    Any hints?

    Cheers

  2. Re: Symbol __mcount is not exported

    "manu.diaz.gomez@gmail.com" writes:

    > Symbol resolution failed for ./libClient.current.so because:
    > Symbol __mcount (number 8) is not exported from dependent
    > module /usr/lib/libC.a[shr_64.o].
    > System error: Error 0
    > Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.
    >

    > How do I tell the compiler to import this symbol?

    The compiler is *already* importing that symbol (from somewhere).
    Your problem is that this symbol is not *exported* (so you can't
    use it).

    Did you build libClient.current.so on the same machine you are
    running the test on?

    Most likely not. In that case, check revisions of libC.a installed
    on the development and the runtime machine. The development machine
    must have libC.a that is not newer than the one on the runtime
    machine.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: Symbol __mcount is not exported

    __mcount is related to profiling. You might want to think on those
    lines.
    Just a guess.. could be you are running a profiled library, and you
    haven't installed bos.adt.prof.

    Thanks and regards,
    Rajbir Bhattacharjee

    On May 16, 7:26 pm, "manu.diaz.go...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am having trouble running a simple application on AIX. Everything
    > compiles fine, but when I try to execute i get the follwing error:
    >
    > Could not load program ./test_client:
    > Symbol resolution failed for ./libClient.current.so because:
    > Symbol __mcount (number 8) is not exported from dependent
    > module /usr/lib/libC.a[shr_64.o].
    > System error: Error 0
    > Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.
    >
    > How do I tell the compiler to import this symbol?
    >
    > Any hints?
    >
    > Cheers

  4. Re: Symbol __mcount is not exported

    On May 17, 4:58 am, rajbir wrote:
    > __mcount is related to profiling. You might want to think on those
    > lines.
    > Just a guess.. could be you are running a profiled library, and you
    > haven't installed bos.adt.prof.
    >
    > Thanks and regards,
    > Rajbir Bhattacharjee
    >
    > On May 16, 7:26 pm, "manu.diaz.go...@gmail.com"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I am having trouble running a simple application on AIX. Everything
    > > compiles fine, but when I try to execute i get the follwing error:

    > > Could not load program ./test_client:
    > > Symbol resolution failed for ./libClient.current.so because:
    > > Symbol __mcount (number 8) is not exported from dependent
    > > module /usr/lib/libC.a[shr_64.o].
    > > System error: Error 0
    > > Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.

    > > How do I tell the compiler to import this symbol?

    > > Any hints?

    > > Cheers

    - The application that you are running is likely to have some library
    being profiled.
    As Rajbir alrady told its a profiling related var. - if you have the
    souce code for the library / app
    that you are using - try recompiling with -pg option and check if that
    helps. If not, post the dump output.

+ Reply to Thread