NIM resource allocation reset - Aix

This is a discussion on NIM resource allocation reset - Aix ; Hi all I want to change NFS export to "global" but the system refuse to do this until all resources are deallocated. [gl00]:root:/root #nim -o change -a global_export=yes master 0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master": 0042-295 m_chmaster: The NIM ...

  1. NIM resource allocation reset

    Hi all

    I want to change NFS export to "global" but the system refuse to do
    this until all resources are deallocated.

    [gl00]:root:/root #nim -o change -a global_export=yes master
    0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master":
    0042-295 m_chmaster: The NIM environment currently has resources
    allocated. The global exports attribute can not be changed
    until all resources are deallocated.

    The problem I have is that one lpp_source has its "alloc_count" value
    set to one and none of my tries succeeded in resettting this value to
    0:

    [gl00]:root:/root #lsnim -l atradius_packages
    atradius_packages:
    class = resources
    type = lpp_source
    arch = power
    Rstate = ready for use
    prev_state = verification is being performed
    location = /export/lppsource/packages
    alloc_count = 1
    server = master

    I tried with "nim -o check atradius_packages", I tried to remove the
    resource from the nim master.
    Can someone tell how to reset thiis "alloc_count" value to 0 so as I
    can change my global_export attribute to yes?

  2. Re: NIM resource allocation reset

    On May 16, 8:45 am, bejleg1 wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I want to change NFS export to "global" but the system refuse to do
    > this until all resources are deallocated.
    >
    > [gl00]:root:/root #nim -o change -a global_export=yes master
    > 0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master":
    > 0042-295 m_chmaster: The NIM environment currently has resources
    > allocated. The global exports attribute can not be changed
    > until all resources are deallocated.
    >
    > The problem I have is that one lpp_source has its "alloc_count" value
    > set to one and none of my tries succeeded in resettting this value to
    > 0:
    >
    > [gl00]:root:/root #lsnim -l atradius_packages
    > atradius_packages:
    > class = resources
    > type = lpp_source
    > arch = power
    > Rstate = ready for use
    > prev_state = verification is being performed
    > location = /export/lppsource/packages
    > alloc_count = 1
    > server = master
    >
    > I tried with "nim -o check atradius_packages", I tried to remove the
    > resource from the nim master.
    > Can someone tell how to reset thiis "alloc_count" value to 0 so as I
    > can change my global_export attribute to yes?

    You should probably see if any of your machines has the resource
    allocated. If you do an lsnim -l to a file, you should be able to
    search on atradius_packages in that file and see which machine it is,
    then deallocate that. When dealing with NIM clients, I've often found
    this little script useful:

    ===[nim_reset]==================================
    #!/usr/bin/ksh
    do_op()
    {
    while getopts N:FD option
    do
    case $option in
    N) NAME=$OPTARG;;
    F) FORCE="-a force=yes";;
    D) DEALLOCATE="yes";;
    esac
    done
    nim -o reset $FORCE $NAME
    RC=$?
    if [ $RC -eq 0 -a "$DEALLOCATE" = "yes" ] ; then
    nim -Fo deallocate -a subclass=all $NAME
    fi
    }

    while [ -n "$1" ]
    do
    print -n "Resetting NIM status of $1 ... "
    do_op -D -F -N $1
    echo "Done."
    shift
    done
    ===[nim_reset]==================================

    Nicked that out of smit.transaction of course...

    Cheers,
    Menno

  3. Re: NIM resource allocation reset

    On May 16, 1:51 pm, Menno Willemse wrote:
    > On May 16, 8:45 am, bejleg1 wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all

    > > I want to change NFS export to "global" but the system refuse to do
    > > this until all resources are deallocated.

    > > [gl00]:root:/root #nim -o change -a global_export=yes master
    > > 0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master":
    > > 0042-295 m_chmaster: The NIM environment currently has resources
    > > allocated. The global exports attribute can not be changed
    > > until all resources are deallocated.

    > > The problem I have is that one lpp_source has its "alloc_count" value
    > > set to one and none of my tries succeeded in resettting this value to
    > > 0:

    > > [gl00]:root:/root #lsnim -l atradius_packages
    > > atradius_packages:
    > > class = resources
    > > type = lpp_source
    > > arch = power
    > > Rstate = ready for use
    > > prev_state = verification is being performed
    > > location = /export/lppsource/packages
    > > alloc_count = 1
    > > server = master

    > > I tried with "nim -o check atradius_packages", I tried to remove the
    > > resource from the nim master.
    > > Can someone tell how to reset thiis "alloc_count" value to 0 so as I
    > > can change my global_export attribute to yes?

    > You should probably see if any of your machines has the resource
    > allocated. If you do an lsnim -l to a file, you should be able to
    > search on atradius_packages in that file and see which machine it is,
    > then deallocate that. When dealing with NIM clients, I've often found
    > this little script useful:
    >
    > ===[nim_reset]==================================
    > #!/usr/bin/ksh
    > do_op()
    > {
    > while getopts N:FD option
    > do
    > case $option in
    > N) NAME=$OPTARG;;
    > F) FORCE="-a force=yes";;
    > D) DEALLOCATE="yes";;
    > esac
    > done
    > nim -o reset $FORCE $NAME
    > RC=$?
    > if [ $RC -eq 0 -a "$DEALLOCATE" = "yes" ] ; then
    > nim -Fo deallocate -a subclass=all $NAME
    > fi
    >
    > }
    >
    > while [ -n "$1" ]
    > do
    > print -n "Resetting NIM status of $1 ... "
    > do_op -D -F -N $1
    > echo "Done."
    > shift
    > done
    > ===[nim_reset]==================================
    >
    > Nicked that out of smit.transaction of course...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Menno- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Menno,

    Thanks a lot for your reply, and thank also for this usefull script.

    In fact, the resource is not allocated to any NIM client. The problem
    is just this "alloc-count" value is wrong and I don't know how this
    could happen.
    The problem is just to reset this value to 0.
    The "reset" command is not allowed on a resource of type "lpp_source"
    and I used a "check" command instead. But although the "Rstate" has
    been reset to "ready for use", the "alloc-count" value is still 1:

    [gl00]:root:/root #nim -o check -a force=yes atradius_packages
    warning: 0042-267 c_mk_lpp_source: The defined lpp_source does not
    have the
    "simages" attribute because one or more of the following
    packages are missing:
    bos
    bos.net
    bos.diag
    bos.sysmgt
    bos.terminfo
    bos.terminfo.all.data
    devices.graphics
    devices.scsi
    devices.tty
    xlC.rte
    bos.mp
    devices.common
    bos.64bit

    [gl00]:root:/root #lsnim -l atradius_packages
    atradius_packages:
    class = resources
    type = lpp_source
    arch = power
    Rstate = ready for use
    prev_state = verification is being performed
    location = /export/lppsource/packages
    alloc_count = 1
    server = master

    I guess that I should modify directly in the ODM but I don't know how.

    Cheers

    Jacques

  4. Re: NIM resource allocation reset

    try runnning : #lsnim -l -t atradius_packages
    to see what NIM resource its allocated to

    AIX supportline would know the command to change that attribute
    I used to work it and know that there is an undocumented command
    Just can not remmeber it

  5. Re: NIM resource allocation reset

    On May 23, 9:59 pm, LarryBoy wrote:
    > try runnning : #lsnim -l -t atradius_packages
    > to see what NIM resource its allocated to
    >
    > AIX supportline would know the command to change that attribute
    > I used to work it and know that there is an undocumented command
    > Just can not remmeber it

    Everything is fixed now. I found (my colleague found) a standalone
    machine that used this lpp_source. A reset on this machine solved the
    problem and I could change the "global_export" attribute to "yes"

    This conversation can be closed now.

    Thanks for all your assistance.

    Jacques

+ Reply to Thread