Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40 - Aix

This is a discussion on Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40 - Aix ; I found out the onboard ethernet port in my F40 can only do 10Base-T. Fine. This machine has two ethernet cards on it. Now, how to detect install them? In the config screen (which you get by typing F1 during ...

  1. Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40

    I found out the onboard ethernet port in my F40 can only do 10Base-T.
    Fine. This machine has two ethernet cards on it. Now, how to detect
    install them? In the config screen (which you get by typing F1 during
    the boot procedure before it actually goes for the hard drive), I can
    detect the two cards, know which slots they belong to, and even do
    some basic configuration. But when I let the machine boot up, smit
    does not find either of the cards. What do I have to do to tell the
    OS (5.1) the cards are there and I would like to config them? I guess
    what I want to do is the equivalent of "boot -r" in Solaris.

  2. Re: Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40

    On May 15, 9:31 am, Mauricio wrote:
    > I found out the onboard ethernet port in my F40 can only do 10Base-T.
    > Fine. This machine has two ethernet cards on it. Now, how to detect
    > install them? In the config screen (which you get by typing F1 during
    > the boot procedure before it actually goes for the hard drive), I can
    > detect the two cards, know which slots they belong to, and even do
    > some basic configuration. But when I let the machine boot up, smit
    > does not find either of the cards. What do I have to do to tell the
    > OS (5.1) the cards are there and I would like to config them? I guess
    > what I want to do is the equivalent of "boot -r" in Solaris.

    If the drivers were there, they would have configured.
    Run cfgmgr, it will print

    "The following device packages are required for device support but
    are
    not currently installed."

    and list the driver filesets required for the cards. Note that
    generic
    hardware is not necessarily supported by AIX.
    --S

  3. Re: Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40

    On May 15, 10:42 am, smallpond wrote:
    > On May 15, 9:31 am, Mauricio wrote:
    >
    > > I found out the onboard ethernet port in my F40 can only do 10Base-T.
    > > Fine. This machine has two ethernet cards on it. Now, how to detect
    > > install them? In the config screen (which you get by typing F1 during
    > > the boot procedure before it actually goes for the hard drive), I can
    > > detect the two cards, know which slots they belong to, and even do
    > > some basic configuration. But when I let the machine boot up, smit
    > > does not find either of the cards. What do I have to do to tell the
    > > OS (5.1) the cards are there and I would like to config them? I guess
    > > what I want to do is the equivalent of "boot -r" in Solaris.

    > If the drivers were there, they would have configured.
    > Run cfgmgr, it will print
    >
    > "The following device packages are required for device support but
    > are
    > not currently installed."
    >
    > and list the driver filesets required for the cards. Note that
    > generic
    > hardware is not necessarily supported by AIX.
    > --S

    # cfgmgr
    cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required
    for
    device support but are not currently installed.
    devices.pci.b7105090
    #

  4. Re: Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40

    On May 15, 10:42 am, smallpond wrote:
    > On May 15, 9:31 am, Mauricio wrote:
    >
    > > I found out the onboard ethernet port in my F40 can only do 10Base-T.
    > > Fine. This machine has two ethernet cards on it. Now, how to detect
    > > install them? In the config screen (which you get by typing F1 during
    > > the boot procedure before it actually goes for the hard drive), I can
    > > detect the two cards, know which slots they belong to, and even do
    > > some basic configuration. But when I let the machine boot up, smit
    > > does not find either of the cards. What do I have to do to tell the
    > > OS (5.1) the cards are there and I would like to config them? I guess
    > > what I want to do is the equivalent of "boot -r" in Solaris.

    > If the drivers were there, they would have configured.
    > Run cfgmgr, it will print
    >
    > "The following device packages are required for device support but
    > are
    > not currently installed."
    >
    > and list the driver filesets required for the cards. Note that
    > generic
    > hardware is not necessarily supported by AIX.
    > --S

    Thanks for the suggestion! It seems there is a missing package in my
    system:

    # cfgmgr
    cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required
    for
    device support but are not currently installed.
    devices.pci.b7105090
    #

    How to get it? I have the install CDs, if it is there.

  5. Re: Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40

    > cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required
    > for
    > device support but are not currently installed.
    > devices.pci.b7105090
    > #
    >
    > How to get it? I have the install CDs, if it is there.

    >From the

    /usr/lpp/bos/README for AIX 5.1

    2b.x) Removal of Support for Devices

    The following devices are not supported on AIX 5L for POWER Version
    5.1
    with the 5100-04 Recommended Maintenance package (APAR IY39794):
    * PCI FDDI I/O (FC 2741, FC 2742, and FC 2743) is not supported on
    AIX
    5.1 with 5100-04 or later.
    * devices.pci.b7105090

    The Ethernet adapter that is supported by the devices.pci.b7105090
    fileset in AIX versions prior to AIX 5L Version 5.1 is not
    supported
    in AIX 5L Version 5.1.

    After a migration to AIX 5L Version 5.1, or when AIX 5L Version 5.1
    is installed and this Ethernet adapter is in the machine, the
    following messages may display on the console or be written to log
    files:

    Method error (/usr/lib/methods/cfgv3boom -l ent1 ):
    0514-068 Cause not known.

    cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are
    required for
    device support but are not currently installed.

    devices.pci.b7105090 Not found on the installation media.

    Remove the unsupported Ethernet adapter from the machine. This
    adapter will not be configured by AIX 5L Version 5.1.

    So you are out of luck
    hth
    Hajo

  6. Re: Adding/detecting new hardware to a F40

    Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    >> cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required
    >> for
    >> device support but are not currently installed.
    >> devices.pci.b7105090
    >> #
    >>
    >> How to get it? I have the install CDs, if it is there.

    >>From the

    > /usr/lpp/bos/README for AIX 5.1

    > 2b.x) Removal of Support for Devices

    [...]
    > Remove the unsupported Ethernet adapter from the machine. This
    > adapter will not be configured by AIX 5L Version 5.1.
    >
    > So you are out of luck
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Lovely. Would it be any better if I unleash 5.3 on it? It feels like I
    may have to go shopping for either a card that will work on it or
    another machine. =(

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

+ Reply to Thread