savevg to remote tape - Aix

This is a discussion on savevg to remote tape - Aix ; I have been trying to run savevg from a machine (because I have files in /etc/savevg.exclude) to write to a tape machine on a remote system. I have tried things like: /usr/bin/savevg -i -e datavg /tmp/pipe & rsh remotemachine "dd ...

  1. savevg to remote tape

    I have been trying to run savevg from a machine (because I have files
    in /etc/savevg.exclude) to write to a tape machine on a remote system.

    I have tried things like:

    /usr/bin/savevg -i -e datavg /tmp/pipe & rsh remotemachine "dd of=/dev/
    rmt0.1 bs=1024 copy=sync"

    but I get:

    0512-017 savevg: Cannot write the device /dev/rmt0
    Either write protected or in use

    I'm just shooting in the dark, I would imagine there is a way to do
    this. The hosts are in each other's /.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv.

    Anyone doing this successfully?

  2. Re: savevg to remote tape

    On May 11, 3:55 pm, rstor...@netzero.net wrote:
    > I have been trying to run savevg from a machine (because I have files
    > in /etc/savevg.exclude) to write to a tape machine on a remote system.
    >
    > I have tried things like:
    >
    > /usr/bin/savevg -i -e datavg /tmp/pipe & rsh remotemachine "dd of=/dev/
    > rmt0.1 bs=1024 copy=sync"
    >
    > but I get:
    >
    > 0512-017 savevg: Cannot write the device /dev/rmt0

    man savevg ( use the -f option )

    # Make named pipe
    mknode /tmp/pipe p

    # Output pipe to remote node
    cat /tmp/pipe | rsh remotemachine "dd of=/dev/rmt0.1 bs=1024 copy=sync
    " &

    # Start Backup
    /usr/bin/savevg -i -e datavg -f /tmp/pipe

    NOT TESTED
    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread