    location?

    Thanks in advance,

  2. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    On 2007-05-11, yh wrote:
    > In AIX 5.3 with IBM XL C Compiler 8.0, is it possible to change core
    > dump file destination from current working directory to the other
    > location?

    Look into the 'syscorepath'-command:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...yscorepath.htm

    Regards,

    Frank

  3. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    On May 11, 4:23 pm, Frank Fegert wrote:
    > On 2007-05-11, yh wrote:
    >
    > > In AIX 5.3 with IBM XL C Compiler 8.0, is it possible to change core
    > > dump file destination from current working directory to the other
    > > location?

    > Look into the 'syscorepath'-command:
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...opic/com.ibm.a...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Frank

    It seems to me that syscorepath would only be useful if you wanted to
    change the path system wide. What about if you wanted to change it per
    user? Is the chcore command actually working on AIX 5.3?

    Regards,

    Michael

  4. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    On 2007-05-11, MK wrote:
    > On May 11, 4:23 pm, Frank Fegert wrote:
    >> On 2007-05-11, yh wrote:
    >>
    >> > In AIX 5.3 with IBM XL C Compiler 8.0, is it possible to change core
    >> > dump file destination from current working directory to the other
    >> > location?

    >> Look into the 'syscorepath'-command:
    >> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...opic/com.ibm.a...

    > It seems to me that syscorepath would only be useful if you wanted to
    > change the path system wide.

    And why wouldn't one want set a system-wide default? It's pretty
    reasonable to me, because otherwise you're getting on of those
    systems where you have cores laying around all over the FSes. One
    central location is better to monitor, better to protect and you're
    ensuring, that large coredumps don't accidentally fill up an FS.
    With chcore you can always override the reasonable default.

    Regards,

    Frank

  5. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    On May 11, 5:34 pm, Frank Fegert wrote:
    > On 2007-05-11, MK wrote:

    > >> Look into the 'syscorepath'-command:
    > >> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...opic/com.ibm.a...

    > > It seems to me that syscorepath would only be useful if you wanted to
    > > change the path system wide.

    > And why wouldn't one want set a system-wide default? It's pretty
    > reasonable to me, because otherwise you're getting on of those
    > systems where you have cores laying around all over the FSes. One
    > central location is better to monitor, better to protect and you're
    > ensuring, that large coredumps don't accidentally fill up an FS.
    > With chcore you can always override the reasonable default.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Frank

    Ah, but large cores do fill up the filesystem(s), no matter where they
    are. There are advantages and disadvantages. You misunderstand, I'm
    not questioning a system wide core location and agree with you to a
    point. There are circumstances where depending on the location, it may
    not be such a good idea. A system admin may have the default core
    directory set to /tmp (eg. /tmp/corefiles). This becomes a huge
    problem when /tmp becomes full, because any applications that write to
    it will break.

    I'm a developer, so changing the location to my own development
    environment, which is maintained daily will pose no issue. So, I ask
    does the chcore command actually work on AIX 5.3? If so, can someone
    provide an example?

    Regards,

    Michael

  6. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    MK wrote:

    > I'm a developer, so changing the location to my own development
    > environment, which is maintained daily will pose no issue. So, I ask
    > does the chcore command actually work on AIX 5.3? If so, can someone
    > provide an example?

    This syntax shown in 'man chcore' worked for me (AIX 5.3-TL5):
    chcore -p on -l /corefiles root
    You may have to logoff and log back on the userid to have
    the change take effect.

    Paul Landay

  7. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    On May 12, 2:57 am, Paul Landay wrote:
    > MK wrote:
    >

    > > I'm a developer, so changing the location to my own development
    > > environment, which is maintained daily will pose no issue. So, I ask
    > > does the chcore command actually work on AIX 5.3? If so, can someone
    > > provide an example?

    > This syntax shown in 'man chcore' worked for me (AIX 5.3-TL5):
    > chcore -p on -l /corefiles root
    > You may have to logoff and log back on the userid to have
    > the change take effect.
    >
    > Paul Landay

    Thanks Paul, I appreciate that. I tried running chcore a few weeks ago
    and don't remember that actual command options I used, but it didn't
    work. I'll take another look at it next week.

    Regards,

    Michael

  8. Re: Is it possible to change core dump file destination?

    On 2007-05-11, MK wrote:
    > Ah, but large cores do fill up the filesystem(s), no matter where they
    > are.

    ACK! With the system-wide default you're less prone to
    get your precious $DATABASE-archive-log FS filled up.
    It's one of those Murphy kinda things ;-)

    > not be such a good idea. A system admin may have the default core
    > directory set to /tmp (eg. /tmp/corefiles). This becomes a huge
    > problem when /tmp becomes full, because any applications that write to
    > it will break.

    Even worse on e.g. Solaris where /tmp is located on the
    swap-space. So i made it a habit to set the default dump
    FS on a seperate one where noone's bothered.

    Regards,

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread