F40 built-in ethernet port speed? - Aix

This is a discussion on F40 built-in ethernet port speed? - Aix ; How fast is the F40 built-in ethernet port (the twisted pair one, not the AUI, if it makes a difference)? I told it to download aix51ml9.tar.gz (~600MB) last night and it is still at it (I am using wget here): ...

  1. F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    How fast is the F40 built-in ethernet port (the twisted pair one, not
    the AUI, if it makes a difference)? I told it to download
    aix51ml9.tar.gz (~600MB) last night and it is still at it (I am using
    wget here):

    ==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
    ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /software/server/aix51 ... done.
    ==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR aix51ml9.tar.gz ... done.
    Length: 676,284,690 (unauthoritative)

    16% [====> ] 109,028,352 3.22K/s ETA 47:47:38

    Is it me or that is way too slow?

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  2. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    > How fast is the F40 built-in ethernet port (the twisted pair one,
    > not the AUI, if it makes a difference)? I told it to download
    > aix51ml9.tar.gz (~600MB) last night and it is still at it (I am using
    > wget here):
    >
    > ==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
    > ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /software/server/aix51 ... done.
    > ==> PORT ... done. ==> RETR aix51ml9.tar.gz ... done.
    > Length: 676,284,690 (unauthoritative)
    >
    > 16% [====> ] 109,028,352 3.22K/s ETA 47:47:38
    >
    > Is it me or that is way too slow?

    According to my switch it is running at 100Base but half duplex?! Let's
    see if I find a way to persuade it of the joys of going full duplex; can
    I do that during flight?

    bob>show int fa0/21
    FastEthernet0/21 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0001.964d.6455 (bia 0001.964d.6455)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 239/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive not set
    Auto-duplex (Half), Auto Speed (10), 100BaseTX/FX
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Last input never, output 00:00:00, output hang never
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
    14872462 packets input, 3993893193 bytes
    0 watchdog, 112 multicast
    8443653 packets output, 3390476725 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 babbles, 647573 late collision, 26594 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
    bob>

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  3. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    On May 7, 12:57 pm, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    > 16% [====> ] 109,028,352 3.22K/s ETA 47:47:38
    >
    > Is it me or that is way too slow?

    Force that thing to Full Duplex.

    # chdev -l ent0 -a media_speed=10_Full_Duplex

    Autonegotiation always manages to have both parties disagree about the
    duplex setting for some reason.

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers,
    Menno

  4. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    On May 10, 9:23 am, Menno Willemse wrote:
    > Force that thing to Full Duplex.
    >
    > # chdev -l ent0 -a media_speed=10_Full_Duplex
    >
    > Autonegotiation always manages to have both parties disagree about the
    > duplex setting for some reason.

    Ah. In full flight. The old "reconfigure-the-interface-I'm-logged-in-
    on-and-hope-for-the-best".

    batch
    rmdev -l en0
    chdev -l ent0 -a media_speed=10_Full_Duplex
    mkdev -l en0
    ^D

    Wait for a few breathless seconds and hope you didn't make any
    typos Of course, if you can do this on the console, you don't need
    the batch command. And you may have to check your routes afterwards,
    but this is left as an exercise to the reader.

  5. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    On May 10, 4:29 am, Menno Willemse wrote:
    > On May 10, 9:23 am, Menno Willemse wrote:
    >
    > > Force that thing to Full Duplex.

    > > # chdev -l ent0 -a media_speed=10_Full_Duplex

    > > Autonegotiation always manages to have both parties disagree about the
    > > duplex setting for some reason.

    > Ah. In full flight. The old "reconfigure-the-interface-I'm-logged-in-
    > on-and-hope-for-the-best".
    >
    > batch
    > rmdev -l en0
    > chdev -l ent0 -a media_speed=10_Full_Duplex
    > mkdev -l en0
    > ^D
    >
    > Wait for a few breathless seconds and hope you didn't make any
    > typos Of course, if you can do this on the console, you don't need
    > the batch command. And you may have to check your routes afterwards,
    > but this is left as an exercise to the reader.

    I ran the above batch thingie and this is what I got:

    $ lsattr -El ent0
    busio 0x800000 Bus I/O address False
    busintr 3 Bus interrupt level False
    intr_priority 3 Interrupt priority False
    tx_que_size 64 TRANSMIT queue size True
    rx_que_size 32 RECEIVE queue size True
    full_duplex yes Full duplex True
    use_alt_addr no Enable ALTERNATE ETHERNET address True
    alt_addr 0x000000000000 ALTERNATE ETHERNET address True
    $

    So, the machine thinks the card is doing full duplex. Problem is the
    switch still thinks we are doing half. So, I turned the port of and
    then back in in the switch. It did not help. What next? Force the
    port to go full in the switch?

  6. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    On May 15, 5:02 pm, Mauricio wrote:

    > So, the machine thinks the card is doing full duplex. Problem is the
    > switch still thinks we are doing half. So, I turned the port of and
    > then back in in the switch. It did not help. What next? Force the
    > port to go full in the switch?

    $ entsat ent0
    will show properties of the adapter , current speed and any errors

    hth
    Hajo

  7. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    On May 15, 11:29 am, Hajo Ehlers wrote:

    > $ entsat ent0
    > will show properties of the adapter , current speed and any errors
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Unfortunately it seems entsat is not available in 5.1. =(

  8. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    Mauricio wrote:

    > On May 15, 11:29 am, Hajo Ehlers wrote:
    >
    >>$ entsat ent0
    >>will show properties of the adapter , current speed and any errors
    >>
    >>hth
    >>Hajo

    > Unfortunately it seems entsat is not available in 5.1. =(

    Try "entstat ent0" (note the additional 't')
    or "netstat -v" which should do the same thing.

    Paul Landay

  9. Re: F40 built-in ethernet port speed?

    Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> [...]

    > Bad Packets: 0
    > Max Packets on S/W Transmit Queue: 4
    > S/W Transmit Queue Overflow: 0
    > Current S/W+H/W Transmit Queue Length: 1
    >
    > Broadcast Packets: 9 Broadcast Packets: 8067
    > Multicast Packets: 2 Multicast Packets: 386
    > No Carrier Sense: 0 CRC Errors: 0
    > DMA Underrun: 0 DMA Overrun: 0
    > Lost CTS Errors: 0 Alignment Errors: 0
    > Max Collision Errors: 0 No Resource Errors: 0
    > Late Collision Errors: 0 Receive Collision Errors: 0
    > Deferred: 0 Packet Too Short Errors: 0
    > SQE Test: 0 Packet Too Long Errors: 0
    > Timeout Errors: 0 Packets Discarded by
    > Adapter: 0
    > Single Collision Count: 0 Receiver Start Count: 0
    > Multiple Collision Count: 0
    > Current HW Transmit Queue Length: 1
    >
    > General Statistics:
    > -------------------
    > No mbuf Errors: 0
    > Adapter Reset Count: 25
    > Driver Flags: Up Broadcast Running
    > Simplex AlternateAddress 64BitSupport
    > # netstat -v
    > ETHERNET STATISTICS (ent0) :
    > Device Type: IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter (22100020)
    > Hardware Address: 08:00:5a:ba:96:a0
    > Elapsed Time: 0 days 5 hours 12 minutes 2 seconds
    >
    > Transmit Statistics: Receive Statistics:
    > -------------------- -------------------
    > Packets: 607 Packets: 8684
    > Interrupts: 0 Interrupts: 8684
    > Transmit Errors: 0 Receive Errors: 0
    > Packets Dropped: 0 Packets Dropped: 0
    > Bad Packets: 0
    > Max Packets on S/W Transmit Queue: 4
    > S/W Transmit Queue Overflow: 0
    > Current S/W+H/W Transmit Queue Length: 1
    >
    > Broadcast Packets: 9 Broadcast Packets: 8089
    > Multicast Packets: 2 Multicast Packets: 386
    > No Carrier Sense: 0 CRC Errors: 0
    > DMA Underrun: 0 DMA Overrun: 0
    > Lost CTS Errors: 0 Alignment Errors: 0
    > Max Collision Errors: 0 No Resource Errors: 0
    > Late Collision Errors: 0 Receive Collision Errors: 0
    > Deferred: 0 Packet Too Short Errors: 0
    > SQE Test: 0 Packet Too Long Errors: 0
    > Timeout Errors: 0 Packets Discarded by
    > Adapter: 0
    > Single Collision Count: 0 Receiver Start Count: 0
    > Multiple Collision Count: 0
    > Current HW Transmit Queue Length: 1
    >
    > General Statistics:
    > -------------------
    > No mbuf Errors: 0
    > Adapter Reset Count: 25
    > Driver Flags: Up Broadcast Running
    > Simplex AlternateAddress 64BitSupport
    >
    > IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter Specific Statistics:
    > Chip Version: 16
    > Packets with Transmit collisions:
    > 1 collisions: 0 6 collisions: 0 11 collisions: 0
    > 2 collisions: 0 7 collisions: 0 12 collisions: 0
    > 3 collisions: 0 8 collisions: 0 13 collisions: 0
    > 4 collisions: 0 9 collisions: 0 14 collisions: 0
    > 5 collisions: 0 10 collisions: 0 15 collisions: 0
    > #
    >
    > I do not know how to find out what is the specs from this output though;
    > it really does not tell me much. That said, I did find the quick
    > installation booklet and it did say it was a 10BaseT port.

    This is a 10Mbps (only) card. It can be set to full or half
    duplex, but I would set the switch port to match and not rely
    on auto negotiation. Other than 'adapter resets', the netstat
    values look good, so your cable is probably ok. I am not sure
    what 'adapter resets' means for that card, but you could continue
    to monitor it with netstat and see if that count corresponds to
    any errors logged in the switch.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...thernet_dd.htm
    (expand the 'Configuration Parameters' section).

    Paul Landay