Getting console login through a serial device. - Aix

This is a discussion on Getting console login through a serial device. - Aix ; I am used to working with Cisco boxes, where you plug your console cable in your laptop, plug in the other end in the Cisco box, do: ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600 tab enter a few times - and ...

  1. Getting console login through a serial device.

    I am used to working with Cisco boxes, where you plug your console cable in
    your laptop, plug in the other end in the Cisco box, do:
    ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600

    tab enter a few times - and voila - you get the console output/login prompt.

    It works.

    Now, aparently, its not that simple on a pSeries running AIX 5.2

    Hardware:
    ~# lsattr -E -l sys0 | grep modelname
    modelname IBM,7029-6C3 Machine name

    Software:
    ~$ oslevel -r
    5200-04

    I cannot seem to reach the console and login..
    I have serial ports 1, 2 and 3 and from what I can read serial 1 is replicated
    at the frontpanel with a rj45 connecter.

    I did a
    ~# chcons -a login=enable /dev/tty0

    and rebooting, nothing...

    I've tried several settings, understanding that the default should be 19200
    8N1, but to no avail. I do not get any output.

    I use a normal serial cable with rs232 connectors to connect. (either in the
    front panal or the rear serial port 1 (and 2 and 3 for that matter)

    What should I check to make sure everything is set right. So that I can get the
    console output on the serial ports, and do a login from there aswell?

    --
    Søren Dideriksen

  2. Re: Getting console login through a serial device.

    S?ren Dideriksen wrote:

    > I am used to working with Cisco boxes, where you plug your console cable in
    > your laptop, plug in the other end in the Cisco box, do:
    > ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600
    >
    > tab enter a few times - and voila - you get the console output/login prompt.
    >
    > It works.
    >
    > Now, aparently, its not that simple on a pSeries running AIX 5.2
    >
    > Hardware:
    > ~# lsattr -E -l sys0 | grep modelname
    > modelname IBM,7029-6C3 Machine name
    >
    > Software:
    > ~$ oslevel -r
    > 5200-04
    >
    > I cannot seem to reach the console and login..
    > I have serial ports 1, 2 and 3 and from what I can read serial 1 is replicated
    > at the frontpanel with a rj45 connecter.
    >
    > I did a
    > ~# chcons -a login=enable /dev/tty0
    >
    > and rebooting, nothing...
    >
    > I've tried several settings, understanding that the default should be 19200
    > 8N1, but to no avail. I do not get any output.
    >
    > I use a normal serial cable with rs232 connectors to connect. (either in the
    > front panal or the rear serial port 1 (and 2 and 3 for that matter)
    >
    > What should I check to make sure everything is set right. So that I can get the
    > console output on the serial ports, and do a login from there aswell?

    AIX waits for right modem signals on serial port (DCD,CTS,DSR at least).
    You may disable this by adding clocal flag to the list of attributes of
    tty (smitty chtty).

    --

  3. Re: Getting console login through a serial device.

    Søren,

    I don't have your model of P-series but I do have a P-550 and I'll do
    some testing and let you know. Anyway, I always use a null-modem
    cable to go between the laptop and P series and that seems to work.

    -Park

  4. Re: Getting console login through a serial device.

    Søren,

    On my P550 I went into "smitty chtty" -> "Change / Show
    Characteristics of a TTY" -> "vty0 Available Asynchronous Terminal"
    and toggled "Enable LOGIN" to "enable". Then I ran a null modem
    between what I would call tty0, I guess it is now called vty0, and the
    com1 port on a PC running Windows. Next I downloaded the latest
    version of putty.exe because it has a selection now for serial ports,
    set it to 19200,8,1,none on COM1, opened a session, hit enter and got
    my aix login and logged in.

    Since my P550 is a production server I can't do a reboot and watch
    what happens on the tty but my guess is that if you use "smitty
    console" to set the console to vty0 and reboot you will see output on
    your laptop. At least that is the way it works on some old 43P-150's
    that I have. However, I know they are a bit different.

    Hope this helps.

    -Park

  5. Re: Getting console login through a serial device.

    I'm working from memory here, but I think even the machines of that series
    would not answer or work on their serial ports if they were managed by an
    HMC...

    -Chris

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 08:26:47 +0200, Søren Dideriksen wrote:

    > I am used to working with Cisco boxes, where you plug your console cable in
    > your laptop, plug in the other end in the Cisco box, do:
    > ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600
    >
    > tab enter a few times - and voila - you get the console output/login prompt.
    >
    > It works.
    >
    > Now, aparently, its not that simple on a pSeries running AIX 5.2
    >
    > Hardware:
    > ~# lsattr -E -l sys0 | grep modelname
    > modelname IBM,7029-6C3 Machine name
    >
    > Software:
    > ~$ oslevel -r
    > 5200-04
    >
    > I cannot seem to reach the console and login..
    > I have serial ports 1, 2 and 3 and from what I can read serial 1 is replicated
    > at the frontpanel with a rj45 connecter.
    >
    > I did a
    > ~# chcons -a login=enable /dev/tty0
    >
    > and rebooting, nothing...
    >
    > I've tried several settings, understanding that the default should be 19200
    > 8N1, but to no avail. I do not get any output.
    >
    > I use a normal serial cable with rs232 connectors to connect. (either in the
    > front panal or the rear serial port 1 (and 2 and 3 for that matter)
    >
    > What should I check to make sure everything is set right. So that I can get the
    > console output on the serial ports, and do a login from there aswell?

  6. Re: Getting console login through a serial device.

    On May 4, 2:26 am, soeren.diderik...@stab.rm.dk (Søren Dideriksen)
    wrote:
    > I am used to working with Cisco boxes, where you plug your console cable in
    > your laptop, plug in the other end in the Cisco box, do:
    > ~$ cu -l /dev/ttyS0 -s 9600
    >
    > tab enter a few times - and voila - you get the console output/login prompt.
    >
    > It works.
    >
    > Now, aparently, its not that simple on a pSeries running AIX 5.2
    >
    > Hardware:
    > ~# lsattr -E -l sys0 | grep modelname
    > modelname IBM,7029-6C3 Machine name
    >
    > Software:
    > ~$ oslevel -r
    > 5200-04
    >
    > I cannot seem to reach the console and login..
    > I have serial ports 1, 2 and 3 and from what I can read serial 1 is replicated
    > at the frontpanel with a rj45 connecter.
    >
    > I did a
    > ~# chcons -a login=enable /dev/tty0
    >
    > and rebooting, nothing...
    >
    > I've tried several settings, understanding that the default should be 19200
    > 8N1, but to no avail. I do not get any output.
    >
    > I use a normal serial cable with rs232 connectors to connect. (either in the
    > front panal or the rear serial port 1 (and 2 and 3 for that matter)
    >
    > What should I check to make sure everything is set right. So that I can get the
    > console output on the serial ports, and do a login from there aswell?
    >
    > --
    > Søren Dideriksen

    Going from memory here, but I thought the setting was 9600 until
    the P5 systems were introduced. Your 7029-6C3 p615 is not a P5 system.

    Have you tried 9600 baud vs 19200??

+ Reply to Thread