Nagios on AIX 5.3 -- can't compile - Aix

This is a discussion on Nagios on AIX 5.3 -- can't compile - Aix ; I'm part of a support team supporting AIX systems. I've recently been asked to get Nagios compiled and running on AIX 5.3, but have been unsuccessful. We initially had some problems during compile that returned a lot of missing libraries, ...

  1. Nagios on AIX 5.3 -- can't compile

    I'm part of a support team supporting AIX systems. I've recently been asked
    to get Nagios compiled and running on AIX 5.3, but have been unsuccessful.
    We initially had some problems during compile that returned a lot of missing
    libraries, which we resolved by installing them. But now the error is
    fairly non-descript. Hopefully someone might be able to point me in the
    right direction.

    # make all
    cd ./base && make
    Target "all" is up to date.
    cd ./cgi && make
    Target "all" is up to date.
    Target "cgis" is up to date.
    cd ./html && make
    Target "all" is up to date.
    Target "html" is up to date.
    cd ./module && make
    gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o helloworld.o
    helloworld.c -G -bM:SRE -bnoentry -bexpall
    make: 1254-059 The signal code from the last command is 11.

    Stop.

    Stop.
    #

    Some specifics
    Running gcc 4.1.1
    AIX 5.3 ML5
    Nagios source version 2.8 03/08/07

    Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

    Jason

  2. Re: Nagios on AIX 5.3 -- can't compile

    Jason Peak schrieb:
    > gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o helloworld.o
    > helloworld.c -G -bM:SRE -bnoentry -bexpall
    > make: 1254-059 The signal code from the last command is 11.

    It seems you're missing the '-Wl,' in front of the commands/flags
    you're trying to pass to the linker. Either your configure screwed
    up, or you've set your LDFLAGS wrong. Try:

    gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o helloworld.o helloworld.c \
    -Wl,-G -Wl,-bM:SRE -Wl,-bnoentry -Wl,-bexpall

    Regards,

    Frank

  3. Re: Nagios on AIX 5.3 -- can't compile

    Thanks for the assistance Frank.

    I gave the command line you included a try and it did compile perfectly for
    the helloworld.c program. I'll see if I can find where to edit my makefile
    or configure.

    If it works... I'll post the file here for others to use.

    "Frank Fegert" wrote in message
    > Jason Peak schrieb:
    >> gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o helloworld.o
    >> helloworld.c -G -bM:SRE -bnoentry -bexpall
    >> make: 1254-059 The signal code from the last command is 11.

    > It seems you're missing the '-Wl,' in front of the commands/flags
    > you're trying to pass to the linker. Either your configure screwed
    > up, or you've set your LDFLAGS wrong. Try:
    >
    > gcc -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o helloworld.o helloworld.c \
    > -Wl,-G -Wl,-bM:SRE -Wl,-bnoentry -Wl,-bexpall
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Frank

  4. Re: Nagios on AIX 5.3 -- can't compile

    The file you need to modify is ../modules/Makefile

    Modify line:
    MOD_LDFLAGS=-G -bM:SRE -bnoentry -bexpall
    MOD_LDFLAGS=-Wl,-G -Wl,-bM:SRE -Wl,-bnoentry -Wl,-bexpall

    If you're doing this after a first make attempt, perform a 'make clean' prior to another 'make all' attempt.

    Jon Gallagher

+ Reply to Thread