oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228 - Aix

This is a discussion on oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228 - Aix ; I am running on an AIX 5.2 machine uname -a AIX devrs3 2 5 0008148A4C00 When I run the oslevel command as "root" it seems ot work and I get back the following. /tmp# oslevel 5.2.0.0 When I run it ...

  1. oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228

    I am running on an AIX 5.2 machine

    uname -a
    AIX devrs3 2 5 0008148A4C00

    When I run the oslevel command as "root" it seems ot work and I get
    back the following.

    /tmp# oslevel
    5.2.0.0

    When I run it as a user other than "root" I get the following error:

    $ oslevel
    oslevel: Error processing cache, return code 228.
    oslevel: Use the -f flag to rebuild cache.

    I tried running oslevel -f as root in hopes of fixing the problem but
    that did not work.

    Does anybody have any ideas?

    Thanks to all who answer this post

  2. Re: oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228

    "Stu" wrote in message
    news:1175202426.282243.25620@y66g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    [...]
    > Does anybody have any ideas?

    oslevel -r

    R.

  3. Re: oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:07:06 -0700, Stu wrote:

    > I am running on an AIX 5.2 machine
    >
    > uname -a
    > AIX devrs3 2 5 0008148A4C00
    >
    > When I run the oslevel command as "root" it seems ot work and I get
    > back the following.
    >
    > /tmp# oslevel
    > 5.2.0.0
    >
    > When I run it as a user other than "root" I get the following error:
    >
    > $ oslevel
    > oslevel: Error processing cache, return code 228.
    > oslevel: Use the -f flag to rebuild cache.
    >
    > I tried running oslevel -f as root in hopes of fixing the problem but
    > that did not work.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks to all who answer this post

    I'm working from memory at the moment, but I believe the various oslevel
    commands use a cache of information located in /tmp. So, maybe look at
    the protection of /tmp or the oslevel cache directory/files in it. If
    you've got a much tighter umask on the root ID, that might create/maintain
    the oslevel cache in a way that non-root users could not use it...

    Just a thought!

    -Chris

  4. Re: oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228

    On Mar 29, 7:55 pm, Christopher Petersen software.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:07:06 -0700, Stu wrote:
    > > I am running on an AIX 5.2 machine

    > > uname -a
    > > AIX devrs3 2 5 0008148A4C00

    > > When I run theoslevelcommand as "root" it seems ot work and I get
    > > back the following.

    > > /tmp#oslevel
    > > 5.2.0.0

    > > When I run it as a user other than "root" I get the following error:

    > > $oslevel
    > >oslevel: Error processing cache, return code 228.
    > >oslevel: Use the -f flag to rebuild cache.

    > > I tried runningoslevel-f as root in hopes of fixing the problem but
    > > that did not work.

    > > Does anybody have any ideas?

    > > Thanks to all who answer this post

    > I'm working from memory at the moment, but I believe the variousoslevel
    > commands use a cache of information located in /tmp. So, maybe look at
    > the protection of /tmp or theoslevelcache directory/files in it. If
    > you've got a much tighter umask on the root ID, that might create/maintain
    > theoslevelcache in a way that non-root users could not use it...
    >
    > Just a thought!
    >
    > -Chris- Hide quoted text -

    I even as went as far as to make everything 777 and that did not
    appear to work.

    ls -ld /tmp
    drwxrwxrwt 15 bin bin 24576 Mar 30 08:45 /tmp

    # ls -ld /tmp/.oslevel.datafiles
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root system 256 Mar 30 8:45 /
    tmp/.oslevel.datafiles

    find . -depth -exec ls -tl {} ";"
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 0 Mar 30
    08:40 ./.oslevel.hold
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 31293 Mar 30
    08:40 ./.oslevel.mlinfo.cache
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 908197 Mar 30
    08:40 ./.oslevel.rml.cache
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 5 Mar 30
    08:40 ./.oslevel.cache.sum
    total 1848
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 5 Mar 30
    08:40 .oslevel.cache.sum
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 908197 Mar 30
    08:40 .oslevel.rml.cache
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 31293 Mar 30
    08:40 .oslevel.mlinfo.cache
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root system 0 Mar 30 08:40 .oslevel.hold

    Does anybody else have any more suggestions?

    Thanks to all that answer

  5. Re: oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228

    ls -l /usr/bin/rm_mlcache_file

    They should be -r-sr-xr-x

    If not, then

    chmod 4555 /usr/bin/rm_mlcache_file

    Rgds
    Mark taylor

  6. Re: oslevel Error processing cache, return code 228

    On Mar 30, 10:32 am, "Mark Taylor" wrote:
    > ls -l /usr/bin/rm_mlcache_file
    >
    > They should be -r-sr-xr-x
    >
    > If not, then
    >
    > chmod 4555 /usr/bin/rm_mlcache_file