HACMP on LPAR question - Aix

This is a discussion on HACMP on LPAR question - Aix ; Hi I am learning (atleast trying to learn) HACMP on AIX 5.3. My current setup is, 2 LPARs on the same physical frame, and I have HACMP software installed. My question is, do I have to have shared storage, and ...

  1. HACMP on LPAR question

    Hi

    I am learning (atleast trying to learn) HACMP on AIX 5.3. My current
    setup is, 2 LPARs on the same physical frame, and I have HACMP
    software installed.

    My question is, do I have to have shared storage, and non-ip based
    heartbeat?

    This is not on a production box, so I don't really need true HACMP,
    just a practical working one, to learn more.

    Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks!

    TIA

  2. Re: HACMP on LPAR question

    On Mar 29, 3:53 am, "Mag" wrote:
    > I am learning (atleast trying to learn) HACMP on AIX 5.3. My current
    > setup is, 2 LPARs on the same physical frame, and I have HACMP
    > software installed.
    >
    > My question is, do I have to have shared storage, and non-ip based
    > heartbeat?

    Some form of shared storage is necessary if you want to configure
    shared applications that run on either node (which is usually the
    purpose of a cluster). The easiest way would be to set up another
    LPAR in the same frame as a Virtual I/O server and export an
    unused internal disk to both LPARs acting as HACMP nodes
    (careful, in this configuration only a physical disk can be exported,
    not an LV). This same disk can be used to set up a disk heartbeat
    network (although this is not necessary for a simple test
    configuration).

    The other possibility for shared storage is, of course, physically
    attached shared disks (SCSI or FC).

    Regards,
    Dmitri

  3. Re: HACMP on LPAR question

    On Mar 29, 2:14 am, "Dmitri Pasyutin" wrote:
    > On Mar 29, 3:53 am, "Mag" wrote:
    >
    > > I am learning (atleast trying to learn) HACMP on AIX 5.3. My current
    > > setup is, 2 LPARs on the same physical frame, and I have HACMP
    > > software installed.

    > > My question is, do I have to have shared storage, and non-ip based
    > > heartbeat?

    > Some form of shared storage is necessary if you want to configure
    > shared applications that run on either node (which is usually the
    > purpose of a cluster). The easiest way would be to set up another
    > LPAR in the same frame as a Virtual I/O server and export an
    > unused internal disk to both LPARs acting as HACMP nodes
    > (careful, in this configuration only a physical disk can be exported,
    > not an LV). This same disk can be used to set up a disk heartbeat
    > network (although this is not necessary for a simple test
    > configuration).
    >
    > The other possibility for shared storage is, of course, physically
    > attached shared disks (SCSI or FC).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dmitri

    Dmitri:

    Thats a good idea. What if my primary purpose is to share a NFS mount
    point? Lets say I have a /mount_point, and if node 1 goes down, it
    mounts it on node2?

    Also, so its possible to assign the same physical disk to 2 different
    LPARs on the same frame? I have 2 extra internals disks...
    I am thinking something like this.
    On the VIOs:
    cfgdev
    mksp vioc_tempvg_1 hdiskX
    mkbdsp -sp vioc_tempvg 1G vioc_1_tempvg -vadapter vhost0 (to create
    the backing device and attach the virtual device)

    On client:
    cfgmgr
    mkvg newhDiskX tempvg

    But I am still not sure if we can assign the same device, such as
    hdisk to both clients, to emulate a heartbeat. Any advice?

  4. Re: HACMP on LPAR question

    On Mar 29, 3:56 pm, "Mag" wrote:
    > Thats a good idea. What if my primary purpose is to share a NFS mount
    > point? Lets say I have a /mount_point, and if node 1 goes down, it
    > mounts it on node2?

    Then the only resource you really need is a service IP address, to
    which
    your clients will connect and access the mount point. You don't need
    any cluster disk resources (unless you explicitly want to set up a
    disk
    heartbeat).

    > Also, so its possible to assign the same physical disk to 2 different
    > LPARs on the same frame? I have 2 extra internals disks...
    > I am thinking something like this.
    > On the VIOs:
    > cfgdev
    > mksp vioc_tempvg_1 hdiskX
    > mkbdsp -sp vioc_tempvg 1G vioc_1_tempvg -vadapter vhost0 (to create
    > the backing device and attach the virtual device)
    >
    > On client:
    > cfgmgr
    > mkvg newhDiskX tempvg
    >
    > But I am still not sure if we can assign the same device, such as
    > hdisk to both clients, to emulate a heartbeat. Any advice?

    Like I said, you can only export a *physical* disk to 2 LPARs, not a
    logical
    volume. With mksp+mkbdsp you are exporting a logical volume. To export
    a physical disk you would do something like this:

    mkvdev -vdev hdiskX -vadapter vhost0
    mkvdev -f -vdev hdiskX -vadapter vhost1

    where vhost0 and vhost1 are server SCSI adapters corresponding to
    node1 and node2, respectively, and hdiskX is the physical disk you
    are exporting. After you run cfgmgr on both nodes, each one will see
    a new hdisk which is physically the same disk. If you are only setting
    up a disk heartbeat network and not creating any shared filesystems,
    you don't need to create a VG over it.

    Regards,
    Dmitri

+ Reply to Thread