Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM - Aix

This is a discussion on Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM - Aix ; Hi I am a bit new to AIX. I have and older AIX 4.3 server where the storage or disks was disconnected but the VGs for those disks were not removed. Now I have these entries stuck in ODM and ...

  1. Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    Hi
    I am a bit new to AIX. I have and older AIX 4.3 server where the
    storage or disks was disconnected but the VGs for those disks were not
    removed. Now I have these entries stuck in ODM and not sure how to
    remove them.
    Here are some of the errors I get when trying to remove

    "getlvodm: Unable to find oravg in the Device Configuration
    Database."

    "lqueryvg -Pp hdisk2
    0516-066 lqueryvg: Physical volume is not a volume group member."

    Thanks for any help,
    Jim

  2. Re: Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    I was able to remove the VGs with exportvg.
    Now I need remove the PVs that were associated and still appear in
    lspv

    Thanks

  3. Re: Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    On Mar 23, 10:59 am, "thebarn...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am a bit new to AIX. I have and older AIX 4.3 server where the
    > storage or disks was disconnected but the VGs for those disks were not
    > removed. Now I have these entries stuck in ODM and not sure how to
    > remove them.
    > Here are some of the errors I get when trying to remove
    >
    > "getlvodm: Unable to find oravg in the Device Configuration
    > Database."
    >
    > "lqueryvg -Pp hdisk2
    > 0516-066 lqueryvg: Physical volume is not a volume group member."
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Jim

    Try

    exportvg oravg

    It's best to follow the instructions in the System Management
    Guide. Don't try deleting things from the ODM on a system that you
    care about.
    -- S

  4. Re: Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    On Mar 23, 11:23 am, "thebarn...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I was able to remove the VGs with exportvg.
    > Now I need remove the PVs that were associated and still appear in
    > lspv
    >
    > Thanks

    To remove hdisk9
    rmdev -dl hdisk9

    --S

  5. Re: Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    Thanks. This server is not in production so it is not critical. But
    you are right about following best practices. I am new to AIX, so I
    am not sure where the "System Management Guide" is. I will try to find
    on teh IBM website

    Thank You

  6. Re: Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    wrote:
    > I was able to remove the VGs with exportvg.
    > Now I need remove the PVs that were associated and still appear in
    > lspv
    >
    > Thanks

    you can also remove devices recursively (which is usually the best way
    to make sure you get all devices) by removing the parent adapter
    (ssa0, fcs0, scsi0, etc)
    rmdev -dl ssa0 -R

  7. Re: Remove inactive non existant VGs from ODM

    c00p wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 11:23 am, "thebarn...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> I was able to remove the VGs with exportvg.
    >> Now I need remove the PVs that were associated and still appear in
    >> lspv
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > you can also remove devices recursively (which is usually the best way
    > to make sure you get all devices) by removing the parent adapter
    > (ssa0, fcs0, scsi0, etc)
    > rmdev -dl ssa0 -R

    And there is the old standby of

    diag -a

    Which will give you a list of defined but not connected devices and
    allow you to remove them

+ Reply to Thread