Print queue configuration - Aix

This is a discussion on Print queue configuration - Aix ; Hi, I need to restore print queue config from one AIX machine (4.3.3) to another AIX machine (4.3.3). I haven't got access to the machine with the config already (i'm hopefully going to extract the required files using a mksysb) ...

  1. Print queue configuration

    Hi,
    I need to restore print queue config from one AIX machine (4.3.3) to
    another AIX machine (4.3.3). I haven't got access to the machine with
    the config already (i'm hopefully going to extract the required files
    using a mksysb)

    To do this I need to know the config files that store this config. I
    have found /etc/qconfig but this doesn't store the printer
    characteristics (like paper size, lines, columns, etc).

    Where can I find the config file that hold this information?

    Thanks,
    Garry

  2. Re: Print queue configuration

    On 22 Mrz., 17:09, "Garry Harthill" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I need to restore print queue config from one AIX machine (4.3.3) to
    > another AIX machine (4.3.3). I haven't got access to the machine with
    > the config already (i'm hopefully going to extract the required files
    > using a mksysb)
    >
    > To do this I need to know the config files that store this config. I
    > have found /etc/qconfig but this doesn't store the printer
    > characteristics (like paper size, lines, columns, etc).
    >
    > Where can I find the config file that hold this information?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Garry

    Hi Garry,

    here is like I always move print queues from one server to another:

    1. stop qdaemon on the target system
    # stopsrc -s qdaemon
    2. copy /etc/qconfig from Source to Target system

    3. tar the directories
    # tar -cvf /tmp/printer_custom.tar /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/custom
    # tar -cvf /tmp/printer_dev.tar /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev
    4. copy the tar-files to Target system and untar them.
    5. start qdaemon on target system again:
    # startsrc -s qdaemon

    HTH
    Regards
    Axel

  3. Re: Print queue configuration

    > here is like I always move print queues from one server to another:
    >
    > 1. stop qdaemon on the target system
    > # stopsrc -s qdaemon
    > 2. copy /etc/qconfig from Source to Target system
    >
    > 3. tar the directories
    > # tar -cvf /tmp/printer_custom.tar /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/custom
    > # tar -cvf /tmp/printer_dev.tar /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev
    > 4. copy the tar-files to Target system and untar them.
    > 5. start qdaemon on target system again:
    > # startsrc -s qdaemon

    After you use the procedure above you can also do:

    cd /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/custom
    for QUEUE in `ls`
    do
    /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piodigest $QUEUE
    done

    This will rebuilt the smit screens from the files in @local/custom so that
    you can use "smit chpq" to change print queue attributes on the queues you
    have moved.

    Best regards,
    Paul

  4. Re: Print queue configuration

    On Mar 23, 9:13 am, "axelsche" wrote:
    > On 22 Mrz., 17:09, "Garry Harthill" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I need to restore print queue config from one AIX machine (4.3.3) to
    > > another AIX machine (4.3.3). I haven't got access to the machine with
    > > the config already (i'm hopefully going to extract the required files
    > > using a mksysb)

    > > To do this I need to know the config files that store this config. I
    > > have found /etc/qconfig but this doesn't store the printer
    > > characteristics (like paper size, lines, columns, etc).

    > > Where can I find the config file that hold this information?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Garry

    > Hi Garry,
    >
    > here is like I always move print queues from one server to another:
    >
    > 1. stop qdaemon on the target system
    > # stopsrc -s qdaemon
    > 2. copy /etc/qconfig from Source to Target system
    >
    > 3. tar the directories
    > # tar -cvf /tmp/printer_custom.tar /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/custom
    > # tar -cvf /tmp/printer_dev.tar /var/spool/lpd/pio/@local/dev
    > 4. copy the tar-files to Target system and untar them.
    > 5. start qdaemon on target system again:
    > # startsrc -s qdaemon
    >
    > HTH
    > Regards
    > Axel

    Thanks for your help. This did the trick.

+ Reply to Thread