AIX 5.1L on 43p-140 - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX 5.1L on 43p-140 - Aix ; I've got AIX 5.1L and popped the CD into the drive, yet the box doesn't want to boot from it. It boots 4.1.3 perfectly well. Anyone any ideas whu AIX 5.1L wouldn't boot on a 140, as I thought 5.1 ...

  1. AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    I've got AIX 5.1L and popped the CD into the drive, yet the box doesn't want
    to boot from it.

    It boots 4.1.3 perfectly well.

    Anyone any ideas whu AIX 5.1L wouldn't boot on a 140, as I thought 5.1 was
    the last version to support this machine.

    Thanks.

    Alan.

  2. Re: AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    On Mar 21, 8:00 am, "Alan Hourihane"
    wrote:
    > I've got AIX 5.1L and popped the CD into the drive, yet the box doesn't want
    > to boot from it.
    >
    > It boots 4.1.3 perfectly well.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas whu AIX 5.1L wouldn't boot on a 140, as I thought 5.1 was
    > the last version to support this machine.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Alan.

    Is cd0 in your boot list before hdisk0?

  3. Re: AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    wrote in message
    news:1174488917.661842.135460@n76g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Mar 21, 8:00 am, "Alan Hourihane"
    > wrote:
    >> I've got AIX 5.1L and popped the CD into the drive, yet the box doesn't
    >> want
    >> to boot from it.
    >>
    >> It boots 4.1.3 perfectly well.
    >>
    >> Anyone any ideas whu AIX 5.1L wouldn't boot on a 140, as I thought 5.1
    >> was
    >> the last version to support this machine.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Alan.

    > Is cd0 in your boot list before hdisk0?

    Yes, but if I goto openfirmware and type...

    boot cdrom:,\ppc\chrp\bootfile.exe

    it definitely boots from the CDROM.

    Only problem now is that I keep getting c31 on the display even though I can
    see the startup screens with no problems and my console is selected.

    Alan.

  4. Re: AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    wrote:
    > I've got AIX 5.1L and popped the CD into the drive, yet the box doesn't want
    > to boot from it.
    >
    > It boots 4.1.3 perfectly well.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas whu AIX 5.1L wouldn't boot on a 140, as I thought 5.1 was
    > the last version to support this machine.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Alan.

    Is the system firmware current enough to support AIX 5.1?

  5. Re: AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    Alan Hourihane wrote:

    > Only problem now is that I keep getting c31 on the display even though I can
    > see the startup screens with no problems and my console is selected.

    What keyboard are you using?

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  6. Re: AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    "Martin Etteldorf" wrote in message
    > Alan Hourihane wrote:
    >>
    >> Only problem now is that I keep getting c31 on the display even though I
    >> can
    >> see the startup screens with no problems and my console is selected.

    > What keyboard are you using?

    Indeed. I found that it doesn't like a few of my Microsoft PS/2 keyboards. I
    had to pull out
    a really old PS2 keyboard for it.

    Are there any new'ish PS2 keyboards that function with it ??

    Alan.

  7. Re: AIX 5.1L on 43p-140

    Alan Hourihane wrote:
    > "Martin Etteldorf" wrote in message
    >> Alan Hourihane wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Only problem now is that I keep getting c31 on the display even though I
    >>> can
    >>> see the startup screens with no problems and my console is selected.

    >> What keyboard are you using?

    > Indeed. I found that it doesn't like a few of my Microsoft PS/2 keyboards. I
    > had to pull out
    > a really old PS2 keyboard for it.

    The problem is, that the machine expects a *fully* PS/2 compatible
    keyboard. Unfortunately, most cheaper keyboards, but also some
    more expensive ones including the ones from Microsoft, Logitech
    and some of the newer Cherry Keyboards aren't.

    > Are there any new'ish PS2 keyboards that function with it ??

    Any Unicomp Keyboard should do the job just fine.

    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.
    Do all that you know, and try all that you don't;
    Not a chance must be wasted to-day!"

+ Reply to Thread