Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM - Aix

This is a discussion on Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM - Aix ; Hello to all, I have a mksysb on a DVD-RAM that was done using the command " mkcd -U -d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'". What do I need to do in order to write a new mksysb to the same DVD-RAM? ...

  1. Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM

    Hello to all,

    I have a mksysb on a DVD-RAM that was done using the command " mkcd -U
    -d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'". What do I need to do in order to write a
    new mksysb to the same DVD-RAM? If I issue the same command will the
    original mksysb be erased and the new one written over to the DVD-RAM?

    Thank you in advance

    Cheers

  2. Re: Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM

    On Mar 20, 10:48 am, "Alves" wrote:
    > Hello to all,
    >
    > I have a mksysb on a DVD-RAM that was done using the command " mkcd -U
    > -d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'". What do I need to do in order to write a
    > new mksysb to the same DVD-RAM? If I issue the same command will the
    > original mksysb be erased and the new one written over to the DVD-RAM?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > Cheers

    yes, if you run the job again, the original will be over written by
    the new one

  3. Re: Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM

    System backups always rewrite media (mksysb, mkcd, mkdvd)

    > On Mar 20, 10:48 am, "Alves" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello to all,

    > > I have a mksysb on a DVD-RAM that was done using the command " mkcd -U
    > > -d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'". What do I need to do in order to write a
    > > new mksysb to the same DVD-RAM? If I issue the same command will the
    > > original mksysb be erased and the new one written over to the DVD-RAM?

    > > Thank you in advance

    > > Cheers

    > yes, if you run the job again, the original will be over written by
    > the new one

  4. Re: Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM

    On Mar 21, 2:44 am, "ColombianJoker"
    wrote:
    > System backups always rewrite media (mksysb, mkcd, mkdvd)
    >
    > > On Mar 20, 10:48 am, "Alves" wrote:

    > > > Hello to all,

    > > > I have a mksysb on a DVD-RAM that was done using the command " mkcd -U
    > > > -d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'". What do I need to do in order to write a
    > > > new mksysb to the same DVD-RAM? If I issue the same command will the
    > > > original mksysb be erased and the new one written over to the DVD-RAM?

    > > > Thank you in advance

    > > > Cheers

    > > yes, if you run the job again, the original will be over written by
    > > the new one

    Thanks four your replies.

    The problem is that in my case that isn't happening. I suppose it must
    be a media problem or unsupported one.
    Before, I was using simply the comand "mkdvd -d /dev/cd0" in order to
    do my system backups. Everything seemed right from the outputs. But
    then I realize that nothing had been backed up since the first backup
    burned. Since then, I've been doing some tests and now was using the
    command I've reported before ("mkcd -U -d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'") but
    I'm only being able to do one first burning and all the others after
    get errors (like "Verifying command parameters...; Creating image.data
    file...; 0512-399 mkcd: Unable to create UDF media.; Cleaning up...")
    or take a huge amount of time to complete. Not sure if they really
    complete because I aborted them when the process is taking the double
    it should take.
    I've used the DVD-RAM Test Disc and no problem was found on the drive

    I will now try some DVD-RAM from IBM brand and see what I get

    Cheers

  5. Re: Rewriting a mksysb on a DVD-RAM

    In article <1174402105.005172.317530@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups. com>,
    Alves wrote:
    >Hello to all,
    >
    >I have a mksysb on a DVD-RAM that was done using the command " mkcd -U
    >-d '/dev/cd0' -V 'rootvg'". What do I need to do in order to write a
    >new mksysb to the same DVD-RAM? If I issue the same command will the
    >original mksysb be erased and the new one written over to the DVD-RAM?

    Just use a recent cdrtools package

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    DVD-RAM is supported since about a year.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)