'wiping' drives on AIX servers - Aix

This is a discussion on 'wiping' drives on AIX servers - Aix ; We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not ...

  1. 'wiping' drives on AIX servers

    We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from
    CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe
    the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD
    I could boot from to offer that functionality etc.

  2. Re: 'wiping' drives on AIX servers

    On 23 fev, 12:52, "techme" wrote:
    > We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from
    > CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe
    > the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD
    > I could boot from to offer that functionality etc.

    My english is not so good, but I understand that "wipe the HDs" is the
    same as format HDs (low-level format). If I'm right, the you should
    use diagnostics CD from IBM and the CD version must be compatible with
    your servers.

    If you don't have it, take a look at IBM web site
    https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...load/home.html

    There you can choose what ISO image best fits your systems.

    Regards

  3. Re: 'wiping' drives on AIX servers

    "techme" writes:
    >We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from
    >CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe
    >the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD
    >I could boot from to offer that functionality etc.

    Not an answer to your question, but rather a suggestion:
    delete all your data, then fill/empty the drive with/of nonsense data?
    (dd dump or some such) repeat the fill/delete as many times as makes
    you comfortable.... This leaves the system functional while protecting
    your data.

    Just a thought...

    --
    flip
    Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,

  4. Re: 'wiping' drives on AIX servers

    On Feb 23, 7:52 am, "techme" wrote:
    > We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from
    > CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe
    > the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD
    > I could boot from to offer that functionality etc.

    Depending on the sensitivity of your data and if you have SCSI drives
    and a spare PC, you might want to use DBAN with a multi-pass random
    number wipe: http://dban.sourceforge.net/. You probably don't need
    the full DoD-grade wipe, but it's better than a plain zero-wipe.

  5. Re: 'wiping' drives on AIX servers

    techme wrote:
    > We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from
    > CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe
    > the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD
    > I could boot from to offer that functionality etc.

    You can use the first disk of the AIX 5.3 product media. There is an erase
    option. I don't recall the exact menu paths to follow but I recall it is
    pretty easy to find. It offers several different erase/overwrite options.

    Regards,
    Gregory Young

+ Reply to Thread