PS- What is "Nonexistent" process - Aix

This is a discussion on PS- What is "Nonexistent" process - Aix ; ps -elf shows prosess states under the "S" column (ex, A for active, I for idle, etc.). 0 is "nonexistent", but I can find any definition of what that means. Not the same a defunct or zombied i assume, because ...

  1. PS- What is "Nonexistent" process

    ps -elf shows prosess states under the "S" column (ex, A for active, I
    for idle, etc.). 0 is "nonexistent", but I can find any definition of
    what that means. Not the same a defunct or zombied i assume, because
    that shows up differently, as under CMD column.

    AIX 5.3

  2. Re: PS- What is "Nonexistent" process

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:23:12 -0800, cuzrich wrote:

    > ps -elf shows prosess states under the "S" column (ex, A for active, I
    > for idle, etc.). 0 is "nonexistent", but I can find any definition of
    > what that means. Not the same a defunct or zombied i assume, because
    > that shows up differently, as under CMD column.
    >
    > AIX 5.3

    I could be wrong, but I don't believe the 'ps' command actually locks the
    process table. So, it's possible that when the 'ps' command is walking
    the table of active processes it encounters a process slot that was full
    when the 'ps' started looking at it and emptied out due to the exit
    of that process by the time the 'ps' went looking for the status of the
    process...

    -Chris

+ Reply to Thread