Sendmail not flushing the queue. - Aix

This is a discussion on Sendmail not flushing the queue. - Aix ; Folks, Last night I upgraded one of my systems from 5300-00 to 5300-05, and the sendmail config file was replaced. All the e-mails sent to outside world were spooled with following error: Mhost map: lookup (xxxxxx.com): deferred because relay host ...

  1. Sendmail not flushing the queue.

    Folks,

    Last night I upgraded one of my systems from 5300-00 to 5300-05, and the
    sendmail config file was replaced.

    All the e-mails sent to outside world were spooled with following error:

    Mhost map: lookup (xxxxxx.com): deferred

    because relay host was not defined.

    I did not notice the problem until this
    morning and replace /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file from backup.

    Now I can send e-mails without any problem, but when I run
    "sendmail -q" to flush the spooled messages it does not do anything.

    How do I flush the existing fialed e-mails?

    Thanks.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------

  2. Re: Sendmail not flushing the queue.

    On Feb 22, 2:01 pm, Hemant Shah wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > Last night I upgraded one of my systems from 5300-00 to 5300-05, and the
    > sendmail config file was replaced.
    >
    > All the e-mails sent to outside world were spooled with following error:
    >
    > Mhost map: lookup (xxxxxx.com): deferred
    >
    > because relay host was not defined.
    >
    > I did not notice the problem until this
    > morning and replace /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file from backup.
    >
    > Now I can send e-mails without any problem, but when I run
    > "sendmail -q" to flush the spooled messages it does not do anything.
    >
    > How do I flush the existing fialed e-mails?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    > E-mail: NoJunkMails...@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    > X against HTML mail
    > TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    > FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    > -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    > I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    > it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

    from the man pages " Issue the kill -15 command as follows to have the
    sendmail command reread the newly edited sendmail.cf
    kill -15 `head -1 /etc/mail/sendmail.pid` "

    I've also seen "sendmail -q" and "sendmail -q -v" act differently in
    the past. perhaps try the latter.

    also, try starting sendmail in queue mode only from startup if you
    dont need the daemon running. "/usr/lib/sendmail -q15"

  3. Re: Sendmail not flushing the queue.

    While stranded on information super highway aix@mail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 2:01 pm, Hemant Shah wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> Last night I upgraded one of my systems from 5300-00 to 5300-05, and the
    >> sendmail config file was replaced.
    >>
    >> All the e-mails sent to outside world were spooled with following error:
    >>
    >> Mhost map: lookup (xxxxxx.com): deferred
    >>
    >> because relay host was not defined.
    >>
    >> I did not notice the problem until this
    >> morning and replace /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file from backup.
    >>
    >> Now I can send e-mails without any problem, but when I run
    >> "sendmail -q" to flush the spooled messages it does not do anything.
    >>
    >> How do I flush the existing fialed e-mails?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    >> E-mail: NoJunkMails...@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    >> X against HTML mail
    >> TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    >> FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    >> -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    >> I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    >> it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

    > from the man pages " Issue the kill -15 command as follows to have the
    > sendmail command reread the newly edited sendmail.cf
    > kill -15 `head -1 /etc/mail/sendmail.pid` "
    >
    > I've also seen "sendmail -q" and "sendmail -q -v" act differently in
    > the past. perhaps try the latter.
    >
    > also, try starting sendmail in queue mode only from startup if you
    > dont need the daemon running. "/usr/lib/sendmail -q15"

    I had tried all of the above, but nothing worked. I finally looked at
    the sendmail book on the contents of the q file. I found out that the
    new version of sendmail created q file with new headers that the old one
    did not like. I manually removed the new stuff from the file and I also
    restored the old sendmail binary from the backup and was able to
    flush the queue.

    Before I restored the old sendmail binary, I had saved the new binary so that
    I can test it, but I forgot to save the new config file. Can someone send me
    the config file (/etc/mail/sendmail.cf) from 5300-05.
    It seems that the sendmail version changed between 5300-04 and 5300-05,
    because I have another system that is at 5300-04 and the sendmail version on
    it is not same as on 5300-05.

    Thanks.

    --
    Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
    E-mail: NoJunkMailshah@xnet.com \ / ---------------------
    X against HTML mail
    TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
    FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
    -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
    I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
    it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.

+ Reply to Thread