DHCP on AIX 5.3 - Aix

This is a discussion on DHCP on AIX 5.3 - Aix ; (Im pretty new to AIx but have experience with solaris and hpux) I have just gotten 3 new AIX servers here. I installed all three at the same time and I am pretty sure i choose the same options accross ...

  1. DHCP on AIX 5.3

    (Im pretty new to AIx but have experience with solaris and hpux)

    I have just gotten 3 new AIX servers here. I installed all three at
    the same time and I am pretty sure i choose the same options accross
    the board on them.

    However DHCP doesnt seem to work right.

    If i dont have IP reservations in the DHCP server, they can all pick
    up random address. When i assign reservations, i get issues.

    One of the servers works fine, and picks up its reservation
    (172.16.165.166) straight away.

    Second server wont pick up an IP address if there is ANY reservations
    set. It just seems to stick at 0.0.0.0 The MAc in the DHCP server
    (when no reservation is set) is the same as a netstat -a -i. no matter
    what ip i set the reservation to, when there is one set, the server
    fails to pick up any ip.

    Third server is an even more complicated situation. The MAC in the
    DHCP server comes up as "657363686572" which obviously is the wrong
    MAC. When i do a netstat -a -i i get "0011257e4251", but when i create
    a reservation for EITHER of these mac's it doesnt pick them up. It
    just picks up a random ip from the distribution range. This server
    however has et0 and et1 set up along with en0 (which is what im trying
    to set up) I accidentally added the two et's in, and cannot figure out
    how to permanently delete/detach them.

    The DHCP range for distribution is 172.16.160.0 to 172.16.161.254, and
    there is nothing using the IPs that i have reserved for these two
    servers. I have also tried changing the IP reservation number to
    172.16.165.17
    When the two servers are set with no reservations, they appear in the
    DHCP server with fully qualified domain names. ie server.domain.com

    hopefully someone will have an idea.

  2. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    On Feb 19, 3:30 pm, "bomahony" wrote:
    > (Im pretty new to AIx but have experience with solaris and hpux)

    > hopefully someone will have an idea.

    I have just installed the 4th server here, and it is suffering from
    the same calamty as #2 above. It can get a DHCP lease when there are
    no reservations for its MAc address (once again gotten from both DHCP
    server and netstat), but once it is entered in the reservation list,
    it doesnt want to grab anything at all......

  3. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    On Feb 19, 4:30 pm, "bomahony" wrote:
    > (Im pretty new to AIx but have experience with solaris and hpux)
    >
    > I have just gotten 3 new AIX servers here. I installed all three at
    > the same time and I am pretty sure i choose the same options accross
    > the board on them.
    >
    > However DHCP doesnt seem to work right.
    >
    > If i dont have IP reservations in the DHCP server, they can all pick
    > up random address. When i assign reservations, i get issues.
    >
    > One of the servers works fine, and picks up its reservation
    > (172.16.165.166) straight away.
    >
    > Second server wont pick up an IP address if there is ANY reservations
    > set. It just seems to stick at 0.0.0.0 The MAc in the DHCP server
    > (when no reservation is set) is the same as a netstat -a -i. no matter
    > what ip i set the reservation to, when there is one set, the server
    > fails to pick up any ip.
    >
    > Third server is an even more complicated situation. The MAC in the
    > DHCP server comes up as "657363686572" which obviously is the wrong
    > MAC. When i do a netstat -a -i i get "0011257e4251", but when i create
    > a reservation for EITHER of these mac's it doesnt pick them up. It
    > just picks up a random ip from the distribution range. This server
    > however has et0 and et1 set up along with en0 (which is what im trying
    > to set up) I accidentally added the two et's in, and cannot figure out
    > how to permanently delete/detach them.
    >
    > The DHCP range for distribution is 172.16.160.0 to 172.16.161.254, and
    > there is nothing using the IPs that i have reserved for these two
    > servers. I have also tried changing the IP reservation number to
    > 172.16.165.17
    > When the two servers are set with no reservations, they appear in the
    > DHCP server with fully qualified domain names. ie server.domain.com
    >
    > hopefully someone will have an idea.

    After changing the dhcpsd.cnf file you must restart the dhcsp server
    with:
    $ refresh -s dhcpsd

    The logfile is defined in the dhcpsd.cnf file and also a
    $ lssrc -ls dhcpsd
    gives some usefull information

    hth
    Hajo

  4. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    On Feb 19, 4:09 pm, "Hajo Ehlers" wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 4:30 pm, "bomahony" wrote:

    > After changing the dhcpsd.cnf file you must restart the dhcsp server
    > with:
    > $ refresh -s dhcpsd
    >
    > The logfile is defined in the dhcpsd.cnf file and also a
    > $ lssrc -ls dhcpsd
    > gives some usefull information
    >
    > hth
    > Hajo

    Is the dhcpsd daemon the dhcp server daemon? I am running as a DHCP
    client. the dhcp server is a windows box.
    On the machine that *IS* working, the dhcpsd service isnt running but
    the dhcpcd service is. I assume you mean this one.
    Also i didnt change any config files, i only used the installation
    configuration assistant at the start (smit) to setthese up.

  5. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    On Feb 19, 5:35 pm, "bomahony" wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 4:09 pm, "Hajo Ehlers" wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 19, 4:30 pm, "bomahony" wrote:

    > > After changing the dhcpsd.cnf file you must restart the dhcsp server
    > > with:
    > > $ refresh -s dhcpsd

    > > The logfile is defined in the dhcpsd.cnf file and also a
    > > $ lssrc -ls dhcpsd
    > > gives some usefull information

    > > hth
    > > Hajo

    > Is the dhcpsd daemon the dhcp server daemon? I am running as a DHCP
    > client. the dhcp server is a windows box.
    > On the machine that *IS* working, the dhcpsd service isnt running but
    > the dhcpcd service is. I assume you mean this one.
    > Also i didnt change any config files, i only used the installation
    > configuration assistant at the start (smit) to setthese up.

    Ups, it was not clear to me that all your aix boxes are only dhcp
    clients and sofar i have no further ideas.

    regards
    Hajo

  6. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    On Feb 19, 4:35 pm, "bomahony" wrote:
    > On Feb 19, 4:09 pm, "Hajo Ehlers" wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 19, 4:30 pm, "bomahony" wrote:

    > Also i didnt change any config files, i only used the installation
    > configuration assistant at the start (smit) to setthese up.

    After comparing the dhcpcd.ini files on the server that is working
    compared to the two that are just dropping ips when there are
    reservations set, i noticed the working one was missing a line:
    option 27 0

    What is this option?

    Also, it hasnt resolved the issue on the one that has the garbled MAC.
    Also i am still looking for how to permanently detach the two et = et0
    and et1 = that i accidentally enabled. the ifconfig et0 detach command
    seems to only hold till next reboot.

    Thanx

  7. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    bomahony wrote:
    > :
    > Also, it hasnt resolved the issue on the one that has the garbled MAC.
    > Also i am still looking for how to permanently detach the two et = et0
    > and et1 = that i accidentally enabled. the ifconfig et0 detach command
    > seems to only hold till next reboot.

    Do "ifconfig et0 detach" followed by "rmdev -l et0 -d".

    Paul Landay

  8. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    On Feb 19, 5:57 pm, Paul Landay wrote:
    > bomahony wrote:
    > > :
    > > Also, it hasnt resolved the issue on the one that has the garbled MAC.
    > > Also i am still looking for how to permanently detach the two et = et0
    > > and et1 = that i accidentally enabled. the ifconfig et0 detach command
    > > seems to only hold till next reboot.

    > Do "ifconfig et0 detach" followed by "rmdev -l et0 -d".
    >
    > Paul Landay

    Thanx Paul. Got the extra interfaces removed.

    Still hasnt done anything about the fact that the MAC in netstat and
    in the DHCP server are different....

  9. Re: DHCP on AIX 5.3

    Check if your NIC is using an alternate physical network address with
    lsattr -El ent0

    .... by the way DHCP option 27 is "All subnets are local", look for it
    in "no" command manual page.

+ Reply to Thread