Does a simple open on SCSi disk RESERVES it - Aix

This is a discussion on Does a simple open on SCSi disk RESERVES it - Aix ; Hi All, I am a bit new to AIX and not aware of the internal details of AIX. I am using a the following lines of code: fd = open("/dev/hdisk0", O_RDONLY, NULL); ... ... ... ... ioctl(disk_fd, IOCINFO, &dev_info); ... ...

  1. Does a simple open on SCSi disk RESERVES it

    Hi All,

    I am a bit new to AIX and not aware of the internal details of AIX.
    I am using a the following lines of code:

    fd = open("/dev/hdisk0", O_RDONLY, NULL);
    ioctl(disk_fd, IOCINFO, &dev_info);

    //End

    Can anybody tell me whether these steps reserves the disks for other
    systems in the machine. Somehow the user of this machine tell sme that
    he gets an SCSI_RESERVATION error when my program containing the above
    specified code runs.
    If possible can anybody tell me that this is not my fault.

    Thanks & regards,
    Rohit

  2. Re: Does a simple open on SCSi disk RESERVES it

    On Feb 13, 11:30 am, rohitga...@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am a bit new to AIX and not aware of the internal details of AIX.
    > I am using a the following lines of code:
    >
    > fd = open("/dev/hdisk0", O_RDONLY, NULL);
    >
    > Can anybody tell me whether these steps reserves the disks for other
    > systems in the machine. Somehow the user of this machine tell sme that
    > he gets an SCSI_RESERVATION error when my program containing the above
    > specified code runs.
    > If possible can anybody tell me that this is not my fault.

    Check this web page:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...rf2/scdisk.htm

    Thsi depends on the type of device that the hddisk is but if hdisk0 is
    an internal SCSI disk, your call to open the hdisk runs the open
    routine of an scdisk.

  3. Re: Does a simple open on SCSi disk RESERVES it

    On Feb 16, 1:47 am, "sjm" wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 11:30 am, rohitga...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > I am a bit new to AIX and not aware of the internal details of AIX.
    > > I am using a the following lines of code:

    > > fd = open("/dev/hdisk0", O_RDONLY, NULL);

    > > Can anybody tell me whether these steps reserves the disks for other
    > > systems in the machine. Somehow the user of this machine tell sme that
    > > he gets an SCSI_RESERVATION error when my program containing the above
    > > specified code runs.
    > > If possible can anybody tell me that this is not my fault.

    > Check this web page:
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...opic/com.ibm.a...
    >
    > Thsi depends on the type of device that the hddisk is but if hdisk0 is
    > an internal SCSI disk, your call to open the hdisk runs the open
    > routine of an scdisk.

    Thanks SJM.
    Alas its my fault :-( . This has really been a great help to me.

+ Reply to Thread