need tips on moving NIM server to new bigger machine - Aix

This is a discussion on need tips on moving NIM server to new bigger machine - Aix ; Hi There We have one master NIM server in our enviroment, and this server is now getting to small for us, and we want to move this NIM server enviroment to a new p570 so we get more power and ...

  1. need tips on moving NIM server to new bigger machine

    Hi There
    We have one master NIM server in our enviroment, and this server is
    now getting to small for us, and we want to move this NIM server
    enviroment to a new p570 so we get more power and more disk.

    Does anyone have som tips on how to do this, or tips on the best way
    to do this

    Today's NIM server has all client data on Fibre channel enterprise
    disk attached to the server, and we want to move everyting to the new
    box. We have client from 4.3.3 ---> 5.3
    The new box has fibre channel disk on a completly different enterprise
    disk enviroment

    1. Is it possible to use Alternate master setup for this, set up the
    new one as Alternate Master?
    2. Take full backup to tape of the old system, and try to do full
    restore on the new one?
    3. Only use old systems mksysb for crating the new NIM master, and
    move the data?

    Any comments and tips anyone??

    Regards
    Svein-Egil
    Oslo, Norway

  2. Re: need tips on moving NIM server to new bigger machine

    On 13 Feb., 12:22, svp...@online.no wrote:
    > Hi There
    > We have one master NIM server in our enviroment, and this server is
    > now getting to small for us, and we want to move this NIM server
    > enviroment to a new p570 so we get more power and more disk.
    >
    > Does anyone have som tips on how to do this, or tips on the best way
    > to do this
    >
    > Today's NIM server has all client data on Fibre channel enterprise
    > disk attached to the server, and we want to move everyting to the new
    > box. We have client from 4.3.3 ---> 5.3
    > The new box has fibre channel disk on a completly different enterprise
    > disk enviroment
    >
    > 1. Is it possible to use Alternate master setup for this, set up the
    > new one as Alternate Master?
    > 2. Take full backup to tape of the old system, and try to do full
    > restore on the new one?
    > 3. Only use old systems mksysb for crating the new NIM master, and
    > move the data?
    >
    > Any comments and tips anyone??
    >
    > Regards
    > Svein-Egil
    > Oslo, Norway

    Hi Svein-Egil,

    the easiest way might be to use a mksysb to create the new NIM master.
    As your client data is on FC-Disk ist perhaps is in an own VG.
    Add your old disks to the system and add new disks to the VG. Then use
    migratepv to move the data from the old disks to the new disks.
    Afterwards remove the old disks from the VG and from the system.

    Regards
    Axel

+ Reply to Thread