Hardware Refresh: survey-like question - Aix

This is a discussion on Hardware Refresh: survey-like question - Aix ; The company I work for is about 1-1/2 years into the life of its 1st set of p-series systems and I was curious what sort of life-span others are getting out of them. Everything else I have worked on seems ...

  1. Hardware Refresh: survey-like question

    The company I work for is about 1-1/2 years into the life of its 1st
    set of p-series systems and I was curious what sort of life-span
    others are getting out of them. Everything else I have worked on
    seems to have a 3-4 year lifecycle before it is "refreshed". Of
    course this is usually because the maintenance and support costs after
    that long are so high it is more cost effective to replace the
    hardware. We have a P570 and a handfull of P550s at the moment with
    some expansion comming around the corner.

    your input is appreciated.

  2. Re: Hardware Refresh: survey-like question

    On Feb 9, 2:49 pm, "bscottberg" wrote:
    > The company I work for is about 1-1/2 years into the life of its 1st
    > set of p-series systems and I was curious what sort of life-span
    > others are getting out of them. Everything else I have worked on
    > seems to have a 3-4 year lifecycle before it is "refreshed". Of
    > course this is usually because the maintenance and support costs after
    > that long are so high it is more cost effective to replace the
    > hardware. We have a P570 and a handfull of P550s at the moment with
    > some expansion comming around the corner.
    >
    > your input is appreciated.

    Typically, these decisions are driven by the accounting department -
    after they have fully "depreciated" the hardware, which usually
    happens over 3-4 years. After that timeframe, a hardware refresh is
    probably a good idea. Before that, the full benefits of depreciation
    have been been realized.

    BV

+ Reply to Thread