Recover from ADSM - Aix

This is a discussion on Recover from ADSM - Aix ; Greetings, I gave up recovering from mksysb, it seems your SPOT must match your patch level. So if i have 5.3 PL 3 SPOT but trough patches my actual system is now at PL 6 the mksysb restore will require ...

  1. Recover from ADSM

    Greetings,

    I gave up recovering from mksysb, it seems your SPOT must
    match your patch level. So if i have
    5.3 PL 3 SPOT but trough patches my actual system is now at PL 6 the
    mksysb restore will require
    the SPOT to be at 6.
    So here is for the question. I also admin solaris and for
    solaris, IBM has the procedure to recover
    the system from adsm, given a totally hosed system, can I recover from
    ADSM? This is IBM after all.

  2. Re: Recover from ADSM

    If you are using TSM (ADSM), the Sysback add-on makes baremetal installs from
    TSM a breeze. The mksysb is stored in the TSM storage pools and the machine to
    be recovered is booted from either Sysback media or (ideally) net-booted from a
    NIM server or Sysback boot server. After the boot, the machine contacts the TSM
    server and installs the mksysb and, conveniently, any other volume groups you
    have backed up via Sysback.

    --
    steve stackwick
    sstackwick@jasi.com

  3. Re: Recover from ADSM

    On Feb 9, 9:02 am, Stackwick wrote:
    > If you are using TSM (ADSM), the Sysback add-on makes baremetal installs from
    > TSM a breeze. The mksysb is stored in the TSM storage pools and the machine to
    > be recovered is booted from either Sysback media or (ideally) net-booted from a
    > NIM server or Sysback boot server. After the boot, the machine contacts the TSM
    > server and installs the mksysb and, conveniently, any other volume groups you
    > have backed up via Sysback.
    >
    > mike.sal...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Greetings,

    > > I gave up recovering from mksysb, it seems your SPOT must
    > > match your patch level. So if i have
    > > 5.3 PL 3 SPOT but trough patches my actual system is now at PL 6 the
    > > mksysb restore will require
    > > the SPOT to be at 6.
    > > So here is for the question. I also admin solaris and for
    > > solaris, IBM has the procedure to recover
    > > the system from adsm, given a totally hosed system, can I recover from
    > > ADSM? This is IBM after all.

    > --
    > steve stackwick
    > sstackw...@jasi.com
    > The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that
    > nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol. -- Larry Wall

    Tell me more about sysback (as you can tell, I am not AIX or TSM
    knowlegable) is sysback
    something that goes on TSM server or is it an AIX configuration change.

  4. Re: Recover from ADSM

    mike.salehi@gmail.com wrote:

    > Tell me more about sysback (as you can tell, I am not AIX or TSM
    > knowlegable) is sysback
    > something that goes on TSM server or is it an AIX configuration change.

    sysback is a Tivoli product installed on the AIX server. It backs up volume
    groups to the TSM server. You can use it to netboot and install servers by
    either using sysback's netboot image or, ideally, installing sysback into a NIM
    SPOT and using NIM as to boot and install. When the client netboots (either from
    the sysback server or the NIM server), he gets a menu that allows you to select
    the TSM server as a source for the install images.

    Checkout Tivoli's website. It's pretty cool and it's cheap (if you already have
    TSM).

    --
    steve stackwick
    sstackwick@jasi.com
    The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that
    nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol. -- Larry Wall

  5. Re: Recover from ADSM

    mike.salehi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I gave up recovering from mksysb, it seems your SPOT must
    > match your patch level. So if i have
    > 5.3 PL 3 SPOT but trough patches my actual system is now at PL 6 the
    > mksysb restore will require
    > the SPOT to be at 6.
    > So here is for the question. I also admin solaris and for
    > solaris, IBM has the procedure to recover
    > the system from adsm, given a totally hosed system, can I recover from
    > ADSM? This is IBM after all.

    If you destroy your system, mksysb is the answer because it (with NIM)
    is a bootable backup that understands LVM. The p-series firmware does
    not know LVM or JFS, so you need something to handle that. Trouble is,
    AIX stores LVM stuff in the ODM database, so you need to handle that
    too. File restore using TSM is out... You need an intelligent mechanism.

    You can create a SPOT from an mksysb image by defining the image as a
    NIM object first and then creating a SPOT and using it as the source for
    the SPOT.

    You can only use this SPOT for that image, and it cannot be used to boot
    in maintenance mode. You need a full spot for that. The NIM master
    always needs to be at the highest level of AIX it services.

    Sysback is a nice product, but is a separate feature requiring setup.

    More information on adapting from solaris to AIX:
    http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks...solaris_to_aix

    Good luck,

    Maarten Kreuger

  6. Re: Recover from ADSM

    On 11 Feb, 21:52, "Maarten Kreuger <\"maarten_kreuger\"@" <"y> wrote:
    > mike.sal...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Greetings,

    > > I gave up recovering from mksysb, it seems your SPOT must
    > > match your patch level. So if i have
    > > 5.3 PL 3 SPOT but trough patches my actual system is now at PL 6 the
    > > mksysb restore will require
    > > the SPOT to be at 6.
    > > So here is for the question. I also admin solaris and for
    > > solaris, IBM has the procedure to recover
    > > the system from adsm, given a totally hosed system, can I recover from
    > > ADSM? This is IBM after all.

    > If you destroy your system, mksysb is the answer because it (with NIM)
    > is a bootable backup that understands LVM. The p-series firmware does
    > not know LVM or JFS, so you need something to handle that. Trouble is,
    > AIX stores LVM stuff in the ODM database, so you need to handle that
    > too. File restore using TSM is out... You need an intelligent mechanism.
    >
    > You can create a SPOT from an mksysb image by defining the image as a
    > NIM object first and then creating a SPOT and using it as the source for
    > the SPOT.
    >
    > You can only use this SPOT for that image, and it cannot be used to boot
    > in maintenance mode. You need a full spot for that. The NIM master
    > always needs to be at the highest level of AIX it services.
    >
    > Sysback is a nice product, but is a separate feature requiring setup.
    >
    > More information on adapting from solaris to AIX:http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks...?entry=new_red...
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Maarten Kreuger

    You may want to check http://www.storix.com
    We use it for about 60 of our aix servers.
    its like sysback but better (from what i know of sysback).
    you dont have to worry about spots etc either and you can netboot via
    a storix bootimage or create seperate storix boot media on cd/tape.

    it is best to have an uptodate boot image created from each server as
    then you are not going to have probs when booting (booting from a boot
    image made from different hardware does not always work).

    what u can do tho is follow this scenario
    1. the server is down and u have no boot image
    2. no prob, just reinstall aix (2 hrs), install storix (5mins), create
    boot image
    3. boot server from bot image and insall storix mksysb. use storix to
    create non-rootvg vg's and lv's
    4. restore the actual non-rootvg data from normal tsm backups.

    you increase the recovery time by a couple of hours but you avoid
    having to have uptodate boot oimages.

    it depends on the criticality of your servers whether its better to
    have2 hrs longer or maintain the boot images uptodate.

    it doesnt tie in with tsm, we create or storix mksysb to disk on the
    storix server and then just backup that with tsm

    scott

+ Reply to Thread