Changing the HMC a managed system - Aix

This is a discussion on Changing the HMC a managed system - Aix ; Hi everybody, What's the better way when you move a managed system from one HMC to another ? Does the new HMC, after assigning an address to the internal port of the managed system, will fetch the configuration from NVRAM ...

  1. Changing the HMC a managed system

    Hi everybody,

    What's the better way when you move a managed system from
    one HMC to another ?

    Does the new HMC, after assigning an address to the internal port of
    the managed system, will fetch the configuration from NVRAM ?
    (and what for the ASM login/password ?)

    Or, have I to restore the profiles (bkprofdata/rstprofdata) to the new
    HMC ?

    Thanks for any tips
    Chris

  2. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    On Feb 8, 5:31 am, cplasschaert
    wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > What's the better way when you move a managed system from
    > one HMC to another ?
    >
    > Does the new HMC, after assigning an address to the internal port of
    > the managed system, will fetch the configuration from NVRAM ?
    > (and what for the ASM login/password ?)
    >
    > Or, have I to restore the profiles (bkprofdata/rstprofdata) to the new
    > HMC ?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips
    > Chris

    1 tip:

    Live actions on LPAR's

    rmcctrl -z (stop rmcd)

    - rmcctrl -d (remove old (HMC) info)

    - usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct -s (reconfig)

    - rmcctrl -p (remote access activation)

  3. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    "Bobohoolie" writes:

    > On Feb 8, 5:31 am, cplasschaert
    > wrote:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> What's the better way when you move a managed system from
    >> one HMC to another ?
    >>
    >> Does the new HMC, after assigning an address to the internal port of
    >> the managed system, will fetch the configuration from NVRAM ?
    >> (and what for the ASM login/password ?)
    >>
    >> Or, have I to restore the profiles (bkprofdata/rstprofdata) to the new
    >> HMC ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any tips
    >> Chris

    > 1 tip:
    >
    > Live actions on LPAR's
    >
    > rmcctrl -z (stop rmcd)
    >
    > - rmcctrl -d (remove old (HMC) info)
    >
    > - usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct -s (reconfig)
    >
    > - rmcctrl -p (remote access activation)

    Thank you for the reply, I've never heard of this for an LPAR.

    Nobody knows if there is something to do on the HMCs or in the ASM
    interface ?

    Have a good day

    Chris

  4. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    One way I've done it is to disconnect the device from the active HMC's
    network for at least 1 minute. Then run a cable between the second HMC
    port and the second HMC's switch. Give it at least three or four
    minetes and the system will usually come up on the second HMC. You
    will probably need to enter your ASM or HMC passwords at this point.
    Then plug the device back into the first HMC switch. You may need to
    unplug it from the second HMC now to get it to go active on the second
    switch. It's worth noting here that (as far as I know), you can only
    have one HMC able to work on any given managed system at a time. The
    other will usually show something like a "no connection" status.

    I'm sure there must be an easier way, probably by working with the
    commands on the front panel. I've just never been particularly
    inclined to look it up.

    On Feb 8, 1:14 pm, cplasschaert
    wrote:
    > "Bobohoolie" writes:
    > > On Feb 8, 5:31 am, cplasschaert
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi everybody,

    > >> What's the better way when you move a managed system from
    > >> one HMC to another ?

    > >> Does the new HMC, after assigning an address to the internal port of
    > >> the managed system, will fetch the configuration from NVRAM ?
    > >> (and what for the ASM login/password ?)

    > >> Or, have I to restore the profiles (bkprofdata/rstprofdata) to the new
    > >> HMC ?

    > >> Thanks for any tips
    > >> Chris

    > > 1 tip:

    > > Live actions on LPAR's

    > > rmcctrl -z (stop rmcd)

    > > - rmcctrl -d (remove old (HMC) info)

    > > - usr/sbin/rsct/install/bin/recfgct -s (reconfig)

    > > - rmcctrl -p (remote access activation)

    > Thank you for the reply, I've never heard of this for an LPAR.
    >
    > Nobody knows if there is something to do on the HMCs or in the ASM
    > interface ?
    >
    > Have a good day
    >
    > Chris

  5. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    "michael.shulman" writes:

    > One way I've done it is to disconnect the device from the active HMC's
    > network for at least 1 minute. Then run a cable between the second HMC
    > port and the second HMC's switch. Give it at least three or four
    > minetes and the system will usually come up on the second HMC. You
    > will probably need to enter your ASM or HMC passwords at this point.
    > Then plug the device back into the first HMC switch. You may need to
    > unplug it from the second HMC now to get it to go active on the second
    > switch. It's worth noting here that (as far as I know), you can only
    > have one HMC able to work on any given managed system at a time. The
    > other will usually show something like a "no connection" status.
    >
    > I'm sure there must be an easier way, probably by working with the
    > commands on the front panel. I've just never been particularly
    > inclined to look it up.

    Thank you for the explanation.
    The only diffrence I'll have is that the system will be powered off
    with the old HMC, then moved and then will be powered on with the new one.

    Have a nice day
    Chris

  6. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    On Feb 8, 9:16 pm, cplasschaert
    wrote:
    > "michael.shulman" writes:
    > > One way I've done it is to disconnect the device from the active HMC's
    > > network for at least 1 minute. Then run a cable between the second HMC
    > > port and the second HMC's switch. Give it at least three or four
    > > minetes and the system will usually come up on the second HMC. You
    > > will probably need to enter your ASM or HMC passwords at this point.
    > > Then plug the device back into the first HMC switch. You may need to
    > > unplug it from the second HMC now to get it to go active on the second
    > > switch. It's worth noting here that (as far as I know), you can only
    > > have one HMC able to work on any given managed system at a time. The
    > > other will usually show something like a "no connection" status.

    > > I'm sure there must be an easier way, probably by working with the
    > > commands on the front panel. I've just never been particularly
    > > inclined to look it up.

    > Thank you for the explanation.
    > The only diffrence I'll have is that the system will be powered off
    > with the old HMC, then moved and then will be powered on with the new one.
    >
    > Have a nice day
    > Chris- Hide quoted text -

    Chris,

    Please send the results. Also good ones. I would like your oslevel -r
    and that you take a look at rmcd CPU consumption after the move

  7. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    "Bobohoolie" writes:

    > Chris,
    >
    > Please send the results. Also good ones. I would like your oslevel -r
    > and that you take a look at rmcd CPU consumption after the move

    As soon as possible, probably before the end of this week, i'll
    send the results.
    Always in this tread.

    Have a nice day
    Chris

  8. Re: Changing the HMC a managed system

    cplasschaert writes:

    > "Bobohoolie" writes:
    >
    >> Chris,
    >>
    >> Please send the results. Also good ones. I would like your oslevel -r
    >> and that you take a look at rmcd CPU consumption after the move

    > As soon as possible, probably before the end of this week, i'll
    > send the results.
    > Always in this tread.

    Hi Bobohoolie,

    Well, the move between the two HMCs went well.

    The partitions were shutdown, the managed systems (p550 and p570)
    where powered off so as to physically move the systems.
    We plugged the systems to the new HMC which then could see these two new
    systems.
    We had to give the HMC the (access or HMC, not admin or general) password
    of the ASM so as to allow the communication between the ASM and the HMC.
    The HMC discovered then the firmware's configuration (partitions) and we
    were then allowed to power on the partitions.

    After boot, it seems that we didn't have to update the rmcd configuration
    as we saw the new HMC in the rmc ACLs.

    Hope that'll help someone else.

    Have a nice day.
    Chris