Korn shell scripts not spawning or calling other scripts in AIX - Aix

This is a discussion on Korn shell scripts not spawning or calling other scripts in AIX - Aix ; I have a problem on an AIX server. We use a set of scripts to do monitoring and maintenance chores on some AIX servers that contain our Oracle databases. On one server, the scripts run fine. On another, they do ...

  1. Korn shell scripts not spawning or calling other scripts in AIX

    I have a problem on an AIX server. We use a set of scripts to do
    monitoring and maintenance chores on some AIX servers that contain our
    Oracle databases. On one server, the scripts run fine. On another,
    they do not.
    The scripts do not call the other scripts even though the scripts are
    the same. I used the set -x option to try to debug it, and discovered
    that the scripts were not being called.
    This is from the log file of the server that the scripts fail on:

    + Logger StartLogging twtm02_rman_cold_backup_tape.ksh twtm02
    + Logger printStartOfJobMessage twtm02_rman_cold_backup_tape.ksh
    + [ 5 -lt 3 ]
    + typeset -l sid mediaType startOnErr
    + typeset tag parms
    + export mediaType=tape
    + export sid=twtm02
    + export startOnErr=yes
    + export tag=Cold_Backup_UAT
    + export params=filesperset=16
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport sid=twtm02
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport mediaType=tape
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport startOnErr=yes
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport tag=Cold_Backup_UAT
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport params=filesperset=16
    + . twtm02_setup.ksh
    + typeset dbaScript

    Now, that same script ran successfully on a different server:
    + Logger printStartOfJobMessage dwtm03_rman_cold_backup_tape.ksh

    dwtm03_rman_cold_backup_tape.ksh is starting on 2007/02/07 01:30:01

    + [ 5 -lt 3 ]
    + typeset -l sid mediaType startOnErr
    + typeset tag parms
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport sid=dwtm03
    setVariable: sid=dwtm03
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport mediaType=tape
    setVariable: mediaType=tape
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport startOnErr=yes
    setVariable: startOnErr=yes
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport tag=Cold_Backup_DEV
    setVariable: tag=Cold_Backup_DEV
    + ScriptVariables setAndExport params=filesperset=16
    setVariable: params=filesperset=16
    + . dwtm03_setup.ksh
    + typeset dbaScript
    + regFunc initScript dwtm03_setup.ksh dwtm03 tape yes Cold_Backup_DEV
    filesperse
    t=16

    Entering Script dwtm03_setup.ksh on 02/07/2007 01:30:01

    The function ScriptVariables is called on the bad , server, uhda04 ,
    and does not execute. Thus the env. variables are not set. On the good
    server, uhda01, the ScriptVariables function executes fine and sets
    the environment variable. On uhda04, I had to explicitly put the
    export command in to get the env. variables set properly. Even so, the
    script does not call other scripts.

    When I ran ulimit, I received the following:
    [uhda01:dwtm03][oracle][/oracle/app/admin/bin]>ulimit -a
    ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 131072
    stack(kbytes) 32768
    memory(kbytes) 32768
    coredump(blocks) 2097151
    nofiles(descriptors) 2000
    [uhda01:dwtm03][oracle][/oracle/app/admin/bin]>which ksh
    which ksh
    /bin/ksh

    When I run the same commands on uhda04:[uhda04:twtm02][oracle][/oracle/
    app/admin/bin]>ulimit -a
    ulimit -a
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 131072
    stack(kbytes) 32768
    memory(kbytes) 32768
    coredump(blocks) 2097151
    nofiles(descriptors) 2000
    [uhda04:twtm02][oracle][/oracle/app/admin/bin]>which ksh
    which ksh
    /bin//ksh
    [uhda04:twtm02][oracle][/oracle/app/admin/bin]>

    The userid used on both servers is oracle. The version of AIX is
    4.3.3. The called programs and functions do not seem to be executed.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    RWB

  2. Re: Korn shell scripts not spawning or calling other scripts in AIX

    got

    #!/bin/ksh

    at the top of the script ?

    have explict paths to files?