MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server? - Aix

This is a discussion on MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server? - Aix ; Can MPIO and PowerPath exist on the same AIX server? I wouldn't share the same HBA's between the two, just have PP on a pair and MPIO on a different pair....

  1. MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server?

    Can MPIO and PowerPath exist on the same AIX server?
    I wouldn't share the same HBA's between the two, just have PP on a
    pair and MPIO on a different pair.

  2. Re: MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server?

    Actually, MPIO is alway present on AIX. You cannot remove it, even if
    another multipathing software is installed.
    So, the answer is: YES.

  3. Re: MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server?

    On Feb 7, 4:48*pm, mcl...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Can MPIO and PowerPath exist on the same AIX server?
    > I wouldn't share the same HBA's between the two, just have PP on a
    > pair and MPIO on a different pair.

    Hi,
    Please refer to the EMC Host Connectivity Guide for IBM AIX at :
    http://powerlink.emc.com/ > Support > Documentation/White Paper
    Library > Host Connectivity/HBAs > Installation/Configuration

    The following MPIO/ PowerPath combinations are possible:

    ◆ Symmetrix-MPIO + CLARiiON-PowerPath
    All Symmetrix devices must be exclusively configured into MPIO and all
    CLARiiON devices must be exclusively configured into PowerPath with
    minimum version 3.0.4.2. No Symmetrix devices can be configured into
    PowerPath. (i.e. devices under MPIO control can not also be configured
    into PowerPath at this time).

    ◆ Symmetrix-PowerPath + IBM ESS-MPIO
    Dedicated HBAs for Symmetrix devices configured into PowerPath and
    dedicated HBAs for IBM ESS storage devices into MPIO.

    ◆ Symmetrix-MPIO + IBM ESS-MPIO — Dedicated HBAs for Symmetrix devices
    configured into MPIO and dedicated HBAs for IBM ESS storage devices
    into MPIO.

    ◆ Symmetrix-MPIO + IBM FAStT-RDAC
    Dedicated HBAs for Symmetrix devices configured into MPIO and
    dedicated HBAs for IBM FAStT storage devices into RDAC.

    ◆ CLARiiON-PowerPath + IBM ESS-MPIO
    Dedicated HBAs for CLARiiON devices configured into PowerPath and
    dedicated HBAs for IBM ESS storage arrays configured into MPIO.

    ◆ Symmetrix-MPIO + CLARiiON-PowerPath + IBM ESS-MPIO
    Dedicated HBAs for Symmetrix devices configured into MPIO and
    dedicated HBAs for the CLARiiON devices configured into PowerPath and
    dedicated HBAs for IBM ESS storage arrays
    configured into MPIO.

    ◆ Symmetrix-MPIO + FAStT-RDAC + IBM ESS-MPIO
    Dedicated HBAs for Symmetrix devices configured into MPIO and
    dedicated HBAs for the IBM FAStT storage devices configured into RDAC
    and dedicated HBAs for IBM ESS storage
    arrays configured into MPIO.

    I hope, this answers your question ?

    Best regards,

    Swen

  4. Re: MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server?

    On Feb 7, 11:26 am, "brother_Matthius" wrote:
    > Actually, MPIO is alway present on AIX. You cannot remove it, even if
    > another multipathing software is installed.
    > So, the answer is: YES.

    Thanks. I realize MPIO is present but the actual question is can I
    use it on one set of HBA/LUN combinations and have PowerPath on a
    different set of HBA/LUN combinations.
    The other response was what I was looking for.
    Thanks again!

  5. Re: MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server?

    mcl301@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Can MPIO and PowerPath exist on the same AIX server?
    > I wouldn't share the same HBA's between the two, just have PP on a
    > pair and MPIO on a different pair.

    powermt has an umanage parameter to tell powerpath to leave classes of
    devices alone. So you should be able to unmanage the MPIO devices and
    still use powerpath on the other ones.

  6. Re: MPIO and Powerpath on same AIX server?

    On 9 Feb., 01:40, Steve Stewart wrote:
    > mcl...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Can MPIO and PowerPath exist on the same AIX server?
    > > I wouldn't share the same HBA's between the two, just have PP on a
    > > pair and MPIO on a different pair.

    > powermt has an umanage parameter to tell powerpath to leave classes of
    > devices alone. So you should be able to unmanage the MPIO devices and
    > still use powerpath on the other ones.

    Hi,
    I suggest to consult the following documents, too:

    1. EMC PowerPath for AIX, INSTALLATION AND ADMINISTRATION GUIDE,
    chapter "Co-existence with third-party path management software" at
    http://powerlink.emc.com > Support > Documentation/White Paper
    Library.

    2. EMC Support Matrix, cahpter 'Non EMC Storage - Mixed Storage
    Environment':
    http://www.emc.com/interoperability/...portMatrix.pdf

    Regards,

    Swen