Aix 4.2 boot media - Aix

This is a discussion on Aix 4.2 boot media - Aix ; Hello, Our company needs to do some automation work on an Aix 4.2.1 box and I need to get to the system command line. However, whenever I log in the machine is scripted to launch into its one program. Does ...

  1. Aix 4.2 boot media

    Hello,

    Our company needs to do some automation work on an Aix 4.2.1 box and I
    need to get to the system command line. However, whenever I log in the
    machine is scripted to launch into its one program. Does anyone know
    what my options would be for procuring a 4.2.1 (or similiar, anything
    that would work) install media so I can get to the command prompt?

    Btw I am a Windows developer by profession so please be gentle

  2. Re: Aix 4.2 boot media

    After reading the posting guidelines I thought I'd come back and list
    what else I know about the box at the moment. It is an RS/6000 43P
    Model 140 333Mhz Processor. Sorry, I'm not sure about the ram, haven't
    been able to get to a command line yet and the owner didn't have
    specifics.

  3. Re: Aix 4.2 boot media

    None wrote:
    > Does anyone know
    > what my options would be for procuring a 4.2.1 (or similiar, anything
    > that would work) install media so I can get to the command prompt?

    Hit number 5 (on serial terminal) or F5 (console) during boot. That'll
    put you in maintenance mode, and then select something that looks like
    "single user boot"

    If the machine is not seriously modified, it should give you some way to
    disable the startup script.

    --
    Alex.

+ Reply to Thread