California DMV AUTOMATION SYSTEM? - Aix

This is a discussion on California DMV AUTOMATION SYSTEM? - Aix ; I have read many articles regarding the California DMV using their Automated system to generate new vehicle registration on an RS/6000 running AIX. Recently, I had reveived my vehicle renewal notice from the mail and I went down to get ...

  1. California DMV AUTOMATION SYSTEM?

    I have read many articles regarding the California DMV using their
    Automated system to generate new vehicle registration on an RS/6000
    running AIX.

    Recently, I had reveived my vehicle renewal notice from the mail and I
    went down to get my new Vehicle Registration paper and I noticed that
    the clerks had on the PCs were the typical TN3270 black screen with
    colored fonts. And I noticed one Terminal that had "DMV AUTOMATION"
    before he had to logon into the 3270.

    Are these PCs connected to a RS/6000 running AIX that had printed my
    new vehicle registration slip?

    Thanks

  2. Re: California DMV AUTOMATION SYSTEM?

    as400 wrote:
    > I have read many articles regarding the California DMV using their
    > Automated system to generate new vehicle registration on an RS/6000
    > running AIX.
    >
    > Recently, I had reveived my vehicle renewal notice from the mail and I
    > went down to get my new Vehicle Registration paper and I noticed that
    > the clerks had on the PCs were the typical TN3270 black screen with
    > colored fonts. And I noticed one Terminal that had "DMV AUTOMATION"
    > before he had to logon into the 3270.
    >
    > Are these PCs connected to a RS/6000 running AIX that had printed my
    > new vehicle registration slip?
    >
    > Thanks

    You would probably have to find someone in the IT department of
    the California DMV to get an authoritative answer. One article:
    http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub....icleId=1021523
    mentions AIX at the DMV branch with z/OS mainframes at the
    data center to generate 'renewal notices'.

    You see a PC and know there is an AIX box in the building, but
    unless you follow the cable & network packets you can't know for
    sure that what you see on the PC comes from the AIX box (or thru
    the AIX box from the z/OS system).

    Here are some possibilities:
    - the PC has a tcp/ip stack of its own and is connected via
    tcp/ip to either the AIX box or the z/OS mainframe or both.
    -- the PC could be running a tn3270 client directly to z/OS
    -- the PC could be running a 3270-over-HTTP application
    like IBM's HATS or HOD which run a 3270 session in a
    web browser. The web server could be on AIX but the
    3270 session could still be going directly to z/OS.
    -- the PC could be running one of those tcp/ip 3270 clients
    to a tcp/ip-to-sna gateway on the AIX box (like IBM's
    CS/AIX) and then using SNA LU2 to z/OS.
    - the PC is async connected to the AIX box
    -- same possibilities as described above
    - the PC is connected to the AIX box and what looks like
    a 3270 session is really a well-done curses application.

    Like I said, you would need to find someone in the IT department
    of the California DMV to get an authoritative answer. I doubt
    if even the DMV branch personnel know for sure what is at the
    other end of their PCs.

    Paul Landay

  3. Re: California DMV AUTOMATION SYSTEM?

    Ok I found an sample DMV registeration form and I wish people can tell
    me if this was from an PC or termial connected to a AIX server in my
    DMV branch...Heres the print out below...
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/images/brochur.../htvr15med.jpg

    It was printed from the TN3270 (i think) screen on what I saw....

    And also, from this print out does this mean that was printed from the
    DMV AUTOMATION FEE SYSTEM which according to the article runs on an
    AIX RS-6000 server???

    ul Landay wrote:
    > as400 wrote:
    > > I have read many articles regarding the California DMV using their
    > > Automated system to generate new vehicle registration on an RS/6000
    > > running AIX.
    > >
    > > Recently, I had reveived my vehicle renewal notice from the mail and I
    > > went down to get my new Vehicle Registration paper and I noticed that
    > > the clerks had on the PCs were the typical TN3270 black screen with
    > > colored fonts. And I noticed one Terminal that had "DMV AUTOMATION"
    > > before he had to logon into the 3270.
    > >
    > > Are these PCs connected to a RS/6000 running AIX that had printed my
    > > new vehicle registration slip?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > You would probably have to find someone in the IT department of
    > the California DMV to get an authoritative answer. One article:
    > http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub....icleId=1021523
    > mentions AIX at the DMV branch with z/OS mainframes at the
    > data center to generate 'renewal notices'.
    >
    > You see a PC and know there is an AIX box in the building, but
    > unless you follow the cable & network packets you can't know for
    > sure that what you see on the PC comes from the AIX box (or thru
    > the AIX box from the z/OS system).
    >
    > Here are some possibilities:
    > - the PC has a tcp/ip stack of its own and is connected via
    > tcp/ip to either the AIX box or the z/OS mainframe or both.
    > -- the PC could be running a tn3270 client directly to z/OS
    > -- the PC could be running a 3270-over-HTTP application
    > like IBM's HATS or HOD which run a 3270 session in a
    > web browser. The web server could be on AIX but the
    > 3270 session could still be going directly to z/OS.
    > -- the PC could be running one of those tcp/ip 3270 clients
    > to a tcp/ip-to-sna gateway on the AIX box (like IBM's
    > CS/AIX) and then using SNA LU2 to z/OS.
    > - the PC is async connected to the AIX box
    > -- same possibilities as described above
    > - the PC is connected to the AIX box and what looks like
    > a 3270 session is really a well-done curses application.
    >
    > Like I said, you would need to find someone in the IT department
    > of the California DMV to get an authoritative answer. I doubt
    > if even the DMV branch personnel know for sure what is at the
    > other end of their PCs.
    >
    > Paul Landay

  4. Re: California DMV AUTOMATION SYSTEM?

    As QUOTED by the article above like this below:

    "DMV vehicle registration fee systems are deployed across two
    different systems. The DMV automated fee system is deployed on RS/6000
    AIX computers at each of the DMV's 167 field offices and Sacramento
    headquarters. It processes customer initiated vehicle registration
    transactions in real time in IBM's proprietary Event Driven Language
    (EDL)."

    So my question is....SO is this what this piece of the paragraph
    quoted above from the article pertains to actually this below???

    On Feb 9, 8:19 pm, "as400" wrote:
    > Ok I found an sample DMV registeration form and I wish people can tell
    > me if this was from an PC or termial connected to a AIX server in my
    > DMV branch...Heres the print out below...http://www.dmv.ca.gov/images/brochur.../htvr15med.jpg
    >
    > It was printed from the TN3270 (i think) screen on what I saw....
    >
    > And also, from this print out does this mean that was printed from the
    > DMV AUTOMATION FEE SYSTEM which according to the article runs on an
    > AIX RS-6000 server???
    >
    > ul Landay wrote:
    > > as400 wrote:
    > > > I have read many articles regarding the California DMV using their
    > > > Automated system to generate new vehicle registration on an RS/6000
    > > > running AIX.

    > > > Recently, I had reveived my vehicle renewal notice from the mail and I
    > > > went down to get my new Vehicle Registration paper and I noticed that
    > > > the clerks had on the PCs were the typical TN3270 black screen with
    > > > colored fonts. And I noticed one Terminal that had "DMV AUTOMATION"
    > > > before he had to logon into the 3270.

    > > > Are these PCs connected to a RS/6000 running AIX that had printed my
    > > > new vehicle registration slip?

    > > > Thanks

    > > You would probably have to find someone in the IT department of
    > > the California DMV to get an authoritative answer. One article:
    > > http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub....icleId=1021523
    > > mentions AIX at the DMV branch with z/OS mainframes at the
    > > data center to generate 'renewal notices'.

    > > You see a PC and know there is an AIX box in the building, but
    > > unless you follow the cable & network packets you can't know for
    > > sure that what you see on the PC comes from the AIX box (or thru
    > > the AIX box from the z/OS system).

    > > Here are some possibilities:
    > > - the PC has a tcp/ip stack of its own and is connected via
    > > tcp/ip to either the AIX box or the z/OS mainframe or both.
    > > -- the PC could be running a tn3270 client directly to z/OS
    > > -- the PC could be running a 3270-over-HTTP application
    > > like IBM's HATS or HOD which run a 3270 session in a
    > > web browser. The web server could be on AIX but the
    > > 3270 session could still be going directly to z/OS.
    > > -- the PC could be running one of those tcp/ip 3270 clients
    > > to a tcp/ip-to-sna gateway on the AIX box (like IBM's
    > > CS/AIX) and then using SNA LU2 to z/OS.
    > > - the PC is async connected to the AIX box
    > > -- same possibilities as described above
    > > - the PC is connected to the AIX box and what looks like
    > > a 3270 session is really a well-done curses application.

    > > Like I said, you would need to find someone in the IT department
    > > of the California DMV to get an authoritative answer. I doubt
    > > if even the DMV branch personnel know for sure what is at the
    > > other end of their PCs.

    > > Paul Landay

+ Reply to Thread