Commiting filesets - Aix

This is a discussion on Commiting filesets - Aix ; Is there a rule of thumb of when to finally commit a fileset? What is the downside of just applying without ever committing?...

  1. Commiting filesets

    Is there a rule of thumb of when to finally commit a fileset?

    What is the downside of just applying without ever committing?

  2. Re: Commiting filesets

    Old School wrote:
    > Is there a rule of thumb of when to finally commit a fileset?
    >
    > What is the downside of just applying without ever committing?

    downside:
    - additional diskspace taken by the backed-up files which are
    needed if you ever reject an update.
    - I find that the complexity of pre-preqs, if-reqs, etc
    means that doing a reject after multiple applies means
    that significant amount of code is rejected and I may
    as well go back to a known good backup anyway (to get
    a known consistent level of code).

    My personal rule of thumb is to commit after:
    - a known good backup has been done, i.e. a D.R. test cycle
    - before the next major update (ML or TL) is applied

    Paul Landay

+ Reply to Thread