p520 power supply prob.'s - Aix

This is a discussion on p520 power supply prob.'s - Aix ; we have a client with a p520, which his config says has 2 power supplies, 1 being the redundant... however, the guy is claiming that the machine goes down if either of the power supplies goes down, leading him to ...

  1. p520 power supply prob.'s

    we have a client with a p520, which his config says has 2 power
    supplies, 1 being the redundant... however, the guy is claiming that
    the machine goes down if either of the power supplies goes down,
    leading him to believe that he does NOT have a redundant PS. i havent
    had a chance to check out the system yet, but what i'm wondering is...
    is it possible that this guy is giving insufficient power to both PS's
    (eg. 110v x 2 instead of 250x1 & 1 redundant), which would allow the
    system to operate if BOTH PS's were plugged in, but would bring the
    system down if one of them were removed?
    i've looked on infocenter, and googled for this answer, but can't seem
    to find anything helpful.
    "facts & features" says redundant power is an option. doesnt the
    fact that he HAS two power supplies indicate that he DOES have
    redundant PS's, but he's just not provisioning adequate power to them?

    Thanks,
    -P

  2. Re: p520 power supply prob.'s

    I guess the easiest way is to shut off the server and try to power on
    with only a power source connected. The Operator Panel will show a
    code. Whenever I've had a power problem I've got a 0022xxyy code,
    anything searchable in the docs.

  3. Re: p520 power supply prob.'s

    p595pimp wrote:
    > we have a client with a p520, which his config says has 2 power
    > supplies, 1 being the redundant... however, the guy is claiming that
    > the machine goes down if either of the power supplies goes down,
    > leading him to believe that he does NOT have a redundant PS. i havent
    > had a chance to check out the system yet, but what i'm wondering is...
    > is it possible that this guy is giving insufficient power to both PS's
    > (eg. 110v x 2 instead of 250x1 & 1 redundant), which would allow the
    > system to operate if BOTH PS's were plugged in, but would bring the
    > system down if one of them were removed?
    > i've looked on infocenter, and googled for this answer, but can't seem
    > to find anything helpful.
    > "facts & features" says redundant power is an option. doesnt the
    > fact that he HAS two power supplies indicate that he DOES have
    > redundant PS's, but he's just not provisioning adequate power to them?

    Check the system firmware level:

    http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp...0_156_120.html

    See the second to last note for level SF230_120_120.

    Regards,
    Greg

+ Reply to Thread