Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1 - Aix

This is a discussion on Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1 - Aix ; I am attempting to create a print queue for a Canon iR4570 printer. I was told to supply the following during the SMIT setup. Attachment device = ibmNetPrinter TYPE = HP Printer type = HP LaserJet 4SI Do Not make ...

  1. Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    I am attempting to create a print queue for a Canon iR4570 printer. I
    was told to supply the following during the SMIT setup.
    Attachment device = ibmNetPrinter
    TYPE = HP
    Printer type = HP LaserJet 4SI
    Do Not make this a bootp/tftp server

    then name the queue and give it the IP address.

    Once completed SMIT creates the queue and when I CAT the/etc/qconfig
    file the queue is there
    the problem occurs when I try to print. It sends the job to the queue
    but then I get the following message

    Message from queueing system:
    0781-088 Queue prt3n12:ibm@prt3n12 went down, job is still queued:
    Backend: /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/pioibmnpm prt3n12 /var/spool/qdaemon/
    tg2aY7a
    Backend Exit Value: EXITFATAL (0100)
    Job Submit Time: Feb 5 14:00:15 2007. Current Time: Feb 5
    14:00:25 2007
    Use local problem reporting procedures.

    qchk -q -P prt3n12
    Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP %
    Blks Cp Rnk
    ------- ----- --------- --- ------------------ ---------- ---- --
    ----- --- ---
    prt3n12 ibm@p DOWN
    QUEUED 327 smit.log bahtor
    15 1 1
    bahtor@tru-ip-orafindb:/home/bahtor>qcan -x 327

    I've verified that I can ping the printer
    ping prt3n12
    PING prt3n12.tru.com: (10.5.10.66): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=5 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=6 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    64 bytes from 10.5.10.66: icmp_seq=7 ttl=62 time=1 ms
    ^C
    ----prt3n12.tru.com PING Statistics----
    round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms

    Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

  2. Re: Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    hi,
    On Feb 6, 3:18 am, bahto...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am attempting to create a print queue for a Canon iR4570 printer. I
    > was told to supply the following during the SMIT setup.
    > Attachment device = ibmNetPrinter
    > TYPE = HP
    > Printer type = HP LaserJet 4SI

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

    one of our branches have the same printer. they configured the printer
    with
    3 queues (yes, in the printer - it can have multiple queues).

    then in my server (it's aix 5L - 5300-03)

    sudo smitty mkpq

    choose:
    remote Printer Attached to Remote Host

    choose:
    Standard processing

    and this is how the queues are defined:

    ########################
    Add a Standard Remote Print Queue

    Type or select values in entry fields.
    Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

    [Entry Fields]
    * Name of QUEUE to add [sgtfbt03]
    * HOSTNAME of remote server [SGPPRT03]
    * Name of QUEUE on remote server [sgtfbt03]
    Type of print spooler on remote server AIX Version 3 or
    4 +
    Backend TIME OUT period (minutes)
    [] #
    Send control file first?
    no +
    To turn on debugging, specify output []
    file pathname
    DESCRIPTION of printer on remote server [sgtfbt03_ir4570]

    ########################

    running enq -W -A | grep SGPPRT03:

    sgtfbt01 @SGPPRT03 READY
    sgtfbt02 @SGPPRT03 READY
    sgtfbt03 @SGPPRT03 READY

    SGPPRT03 is the hostname assigned to the printer (defined in /etc/
    hosts)
    sgtfbt01, sgtfbt02, and sgtfbt03 are queues in the printer (remote
    queues).

    settings for each queue here are controlled by our users on the remote
    site, which is
    quite nice 'coz its less work for me if they need some
    modifications.

    hth.

    erik

  3. Re: Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    On Feb 6, 6:54 am, "roderick tapang" wrote:
    > hi,
    > On Feb 6, 3:18 am, bahto...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I am attempting to create a print queue for a Canon iR4570 printer. I
    > > was told to supply the following during the SMIT setup.
    > > Attachment device = ibmNetPrinter
    > > TYPE = HP
    > > Printer type = HP LaserJet 4SI
    > > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

    > one of our branches have the same printer. they configured the printer
    > with
    > 3 queues (yes, in the printer - it can have multiple queues).
    >
    > then in my server (it's aix 5L - 5300-03)
    >
    > sudo smitty mkpq
    >
    > choose:
    > remote Printer Attached to Remote Host
    >
    > choose:
    > Standard processing
    >
    > and this is how the queues are defined:
    >
    > ########################
    > Add a Standard Remote Print Queue
    >
    > Type or select values in entry fields.
    > Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.
    >
    > [Entry Fields]
    > * Name of QUEUE to add [sgtfbt03]
    > * HOSTNAME of remote server [SGPPRT03]
    > * Name of QUEUE on remote server [sgtfbt03]
    > Type of print spooler on remote server AIX Version 3 or
    > 4 +
    > Backend TIME OUT period (minutes)
    > [] #
    > Send control file first?
    > no +
    > To turn on debugging, specify output []
    > file pathname
    > DESCRIPTION of printer on remote server [sgtfbt03_ir4570]
    >
    > ########################
    >
    > running enq -W -A | grep SGPPRT03:
    >
    > sgtfbt01 @SGPPRT03 READY
    > sgtfbt02 @SGPPRT03 READY
    > sgtfbt03 @SGPPRT03 READY
    >
    > SGPPRT03 is the hostname assigned to the printer (defined in /etc/
    > hosts)
    > sgtfbt01, sgtfbt02, and sgtfbt03 are queues in the printer (remote
    > queues).
    >
    > settings for each queue here are controlled by our users on the remote
    > site, which is
    > quite nice 'coz its less work for me if they need some
    > modifications.
    >
    > hth.
    >
    > erik

    Thanks so much for getting back to me in a timely manner.
    I used the "Printer attached to remotehost" with much success.
    Thanks.
    since Tuesday this has created much new work for me.

    I did have one additional stumbling block on a different system that
    I'm still working through..
    Not all SMIT add a printer pages on different michines list the
    PRINTER ATTACHED TO REMOTEHOST as an option.

    I believe I've checked the SMIT versions and they appear to be the
    same.
    Have you seen this behaivor.. If not when I find out I'll reply to
    this again..

    Anyway.. just wanted to say thanks for the help..
    Have a great day
    RB

  4. Re: Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    "NewUnixGuy" wrote in message
    news:1170966531.553540.254690@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Not all SMIT add a printer pages on different michines list the
    > PRINTER ATTACHED TO REMOTEHOST as an option.

    You may to install the printers.rte fileset on those systems.

  5. Re: Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    On Feb 8, 8:58 pm, wrote:
    > "NewUnixGuy" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1170966531.553540.254690@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > Not all SMIT add a printer pages on different michines list the
    > > PRINTER ATTACHED TO REMOTEHOST as an option.

    > You may to install the printers.rte fileset on those systems.

    I'm not sure I understand the answer
    ls -Al /usr/lpp/printers.rte/
    total 48
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 76 Mar 14 2006 .cr.status
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1077 Mar 14 2006
    copyright.master
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 512 Jun 02 2005 deinstl
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 512 Jun 02 2005 inst_root
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 512 Mar 14 2006 printers.rte
    -rw-r----- 1 root system 24 Jun 02 2005 productid
    ls -Al /usr/lpp/printers.rte/printers.rte
    total 0

    This is the same result as I get on a system that works.

    If you could please elaborate.

  6. Re: Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    "NewUnixGuy" wrote in message
    news:1171038452.486731.275530@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm not sure I understand the answer
    > ls -Al /usr/lpp/printers.rte/
    > total 48
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 76 Mar 14 2006 .cr.status
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1077 Mar 14 2006
    > copyright.master
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 512 Jun 02 2005 deinstl
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 512 Jun 02 2005 inst_root
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 512 Mar 14 2006 printers.rte
    > -rw-r----- 1 root system 24 Jun 02 2005 productid
    > ls -Al /usr/lpp/printers.rte/printers.rte
    > total 0
    >
    > This is the same result as I get on a system that works.
    >
    > If you could please elaborate.

    When you go into "smit mkpq" to add a queue the options listed each
    correspond to .attach files in /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc so your system is
    missing remote.attach most likely. That file is in printers.rte fileset.

    lslpp -l printers.rte
    If it isn't installed, install it from your installation media.

    If it is installed, your remote.attach file sounds like it has been removed.

  7. Re: Unable to print to iR4570 from AIX V5.1

    On Feb 9, 7:31 pm, wrote:
    > "NewUnixGuy" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1171038452.486731.275530@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > > I'm not sure I understand the answer
    > > ls -Al /usr/lpp/printers.rte/
    > > total 48
    > > -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 76 Mar 14 2006 .cr.status
    > > -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 1077 Mar 14 2006
    > > copyright.master
    > > drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 512 Jun 02 2005 deinstl
    > > drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 512 Jun 02 2005 inst_root
    > > drwxr-xr-x 2 root system 512 Mar 14 2006 printers.rte
    > > -rw-r----- 1 root system 24 Jun 02 2005 productid
    > > ls -Al /usr/lpp/printers.rte/printers.rte
    > > total 0

    > > This is the same result as I get on a system that works.

    > > If you could please elaborate.

    > When you go into "smit mkpq" to add a queue the options listed each
    > correspond to .attach files in /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc so your system is
    > missing remote.attach most likely. That file is in printers.rte fileset.
    >
    > lslpp -l printers.rte
    > If it isn't installed, install it from your installation media.
    >
    > If it is installed, your remote.attach file sounds like it has been removed.- Hide quoted text -

    I just returned from a long weekend so I just now was able to look
    into this again. Sure enough I found that the had renamed the
    remote.attach file. Once I named it correctly the process went fine.
    Thanks for your patience.. RB

+ Reply to Thread