Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows? - Aix

This is a discussion on Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows? - Aix ; How would a telnet session to a AIX Host server look like using a TN3270 application client? Is it the standard "green-text" looking similar to a z/OS Mainframe session? Or, is it different? ANy screenshots? Or, are there any public ...

  1. Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    How would a telnet session to a AIX Host server look like using a
    TN3270 application client?

    Is it the standard "green-text" looking similar to a z/OS Mainframe
    session? Or, is it different? ANy screenshots? Or, are there any
    public AIX access that I can telnet into?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    as400 wrote:
    > How would a telnet session to a AIX Host server look like using a
    > TN3270 application client?
    >
    > Is it the standard "green-text" looking similar to a z/OS Mainframe
    > session? Or, is it different? ANy screenshots? Or, are there any
    > public AIX access that I can telnet into?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    First, an answer: it depends.
    You will get different results for different tn3270 clients.
    Mostly you will not be happy with what you see.
    Some clients will be smart enough to realize that the telnet
    server on AIX has no clue about 3270 options and will switch
    back to ansi/vt100 modes automatically.

    Second, a question: Why do you want to use a tn3270 client
    with a server which is ascii/ansi/vt100 oriented?
    Why not just use the windows telnet or putty or another
    vt100-mode telnet client.

    There used to be 'green screen'/3270 servers which ran on aix
    (Teubner's ANET, Brixton SNA Application Access), but I
    don't know of any which are still available.

    Paul Landay

  3. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    My error, UNIX hosts are run from PUTTY instead of TN3270 clients..My
    error...

    Is there any public AIX access around which I can practice on?

    On Feb 5, 8:10 pm, Paul Landay wrote:
    > as400 wrote:
    > > How would a telnet session to a AIX Host server look like using a
    > > TN3270 application client?

    > > Is it the standard "green-text" looking similar to a z/OS Mainframe
    > > session? Or, is it different? ANy screenshots? Or, are there any
    > > public AIX access that I can telnet into?

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > First, an answer: it depends.
    > You will get different results for different tn3270 clients.
    > Mostly you will not be happy with what you see.
    > Some clients will be smart enough to realize that the telnet
    > server on AIX has no clue about 3270 options and will switch
    > back to ansi/vt100 modes automatically.
    >
    > Second, a question: Why do you want to use a tn3270 client
    > with a server which is ascii/ansi/vt100 oriented?
    > Why not just use the windows telnet or putty or another
    > vt100-mode telnet client.
    >
    > There used to be 'green screen'/3270 servers which ran on aix
    > (Teubner's ANET, Brixton SNA Application Access), but I
    > don't know of any which are still available.
    >
    > Paul Landay

  4. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    Your right, my error. UNIX are sessioned from PUTTY or the like. Is
    there any public AIX host I can practice on?

    On Feb 5, 8:10 pm, Paul Landay wrote:
    > as400 wrote:
    > > How would a telnet session to a AIX Host server look like using a
    > > TN3270 application client?

    > > Is it the standard "green-text" looking similar to a z/OS Mainframe
    > > session? Or, is it different? ANy screenshots? Or, are there any
    > > public AIX access that I can telnet into?

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > First, an answer: it depends.
    > You will get different results for different tn3270 clients.
    > Mostly you will not be happy with what you see.
    > Some clients will be smart enough to realize that the telnet
    > server on AIX has no clue about 3270 options and will switch
    > back to ansi/vt100 modes automatically.
    >
    > Second, a question: Why do you want to use a tn3270 client
    > with a server which is ascii/ansi/vt100 oriented?
    > Why not just use the windows telnet or putty or another
    > vt100-mode telnet client.
    >
    > There used to be 'green screen'/3270 servers which ran on aix
    > (Teubner's ANET, Brixton SNA Application Access), but I
    > don't know of any which are still available.
    >
    > Paul Landay

  5. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    "as400" wrote in message
    news:1170703209.770171.114580@m58g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    > Your right, my error. UNIX are sessioned from PUTTY or the like. Is
    > there any public AIX host I can practice on?

    AIX behaves pretty much the same as other *nix boxes. (ksh rather than bash
    is the main thing I have to remember when swapping between them, though I
    imagine that's easily remedied if I could be bothered).

    What sort of thing do you want to find out?

    (the look/feel will depend entirely on your client, rather than the server).

    cheers,
    clive

  6. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    Is there any available Console Login screenshots that I can look at
    please? Only the logon screenshot?

    Thanks

    On Feb 5, 9:03 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
    > "as400" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1170703209.770171.114580@m58g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > Your right, my error. UNIX are sessioned from PUTTY or the like. Is
    > > there any public AIX host I can practice on?

    > AIX behaves pretty much the same as other *nix boxes. (ksh rather than bash
    > is the main thing I have to remember when swapping between them, though I
    > imagine that's easily remedied if I could be bothered).
    >
    > What sort of thing do you want to find out?
    >
    > (the look/feel will depend entirely on your client, rather than the server).
    >
    > cheers,
    > clive

  7. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    as400 wrote:
    > Is there any available Console Login screenshots that I can look at
    > please? Only the logon screenshot?

    The login prompt can be customized (see the '/etc/security/login.cfg'
    file, 'default' stanza, 'herald' field):
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../login.cfg.htm
    and it can change from one AIX level to another, but here is a
    generic AIX 5.3 login screen:

    AIX Version 5
    (C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 2006.
    login:

    Paul Landay

  8. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    > Is there any available Console Login screenshots that I can look at
    > please? Only the logon screenshot?

    >>(the look/feel will depend entirely on your client, rather than the server).

    The login prompt can be customized at the server:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ng_welcome.htm

    Paul Landay

  9. Re: Telneting to AIX hosts from WIndows?

    Paul Landay wrote:
    > as400 wrote:
    >> Is there any available Console Login screenshots that I can look at
    >> please? Only the logon screenshot?

    > The login prompt can be customized (see the '/etc/security/login.cfg'
    > file, 'default' stanza, 'herald' field):
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../login.cfg.htm
    > and it can change from one AIX level to another

    The login prompt is also sensitive to the default $LANG
    setting for the system ('smit chlang'). For example, when
    I change the system locale to be de_DE (German) the last line
    of the login screen is "Anmeldung:" instead of "login:".

    Paul Landay

+ Reply to Thread