Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file which can be transferred to a remote system? - Aix

This is a discussion on Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file which can be transferred to a remote system? - Aix ; Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file and transfer it to a remote system? If so, how could this be used to rebuild the original system? Can I copy the mysysb "file" to a CD on my PC and ...

  1. Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file which can be transferred to a remote system?

    Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file and transfer it to a remote
    system? If so, how could this be used to rebuild the original system?
    Can I copy the mysysb "file" to a CD on my PC and use this in
    conjunction with a bootable OS disk to do the rebuild?

    Many Thanks,
    =Adrian=

  2. Re: Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file which can be transferred to a remote system?

    On Feb 5, 9:55 am, "Adrian Davis" wrote:
    > Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file and transfer it to a remote
    > system? If so, how could this be used to rebuild the original system?
    > Can I copy the mysysb "file" to a CD on my PC and use this in
    > conjunction with a bootable OS disk to do the rebuild?
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > =Adrian=

    mkcd, mkdvd will create bootable media .. or you can set up NIM on aix
    or NIMOL on Linux to do the install over the network.

    HTH
    Mark Taylor

  3. Re: Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file which can be transferred to a remote system?

    On Feb 5, 4:55 am, "Adrian Davis" wrote:
    > Is it possible to "mksysb" to a file and transfer it to a remote
    > system? If so, how could this be used to rebuild the original system?
    > Can I copy the mysysb "file" to a CD on my PC and use this in
    > conjunction with a bootable OS disk to do the rebuild?
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    > =Adrian=

    Yes -- the easiest thing to do is to save your mksysb to an NFS share
    on another system and run NIM on that system. Assuming you mount the
    nfs share to /mnt, the command line would look like:
    mksysb /mnt/mksysb_name

+ Reply to Thread