AIX for RS6K 590? - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX for RS6K 590? - Aix ; I have an old RS/6000 model 590 gathering dust in my basement. It has AIX 4.2.mumble on it right now. What is the latest version of AIX that will run on this machine? TIA, -Steve...

  1. AIX for RS6K 590?

    I have an old RS/6000 model 590 gathering dust in my basement. It has AIX
    4.2.mumble on it right now. What is the latest version of AIX that will
    run on this machine?

    TIA,
    -Steve

  2. Re: AIX for RS6K 590?

    Steve Thompson wrote:
    > I have an old RS/6000 model 590 gathering dust in my basement. It has
    > AIX 4.2.mumble on it right now. What is the latest version of AIX that
    > will run on this machine?

    Steve,

    If it's Microchannel then 4.3.3.

    Regards

    Bill

  3. Re: AIX for RS6K 590?

    * William R. Mattil:
    > If it's Microchannel then 4.3.3.

    Nope. The 590 like most other MCA RS/6000s runs up to AIX 5.1 just fine...

    Benjamin

  4. Re: AIX for RS6K 590?

    William R. Mattil wrote:
    > Steve Thompson wrote:
    >> I have an old RS/6000 model 590 gathering dust in my basement. It has
    >> AIX 4.2.mumble on it right now. What is the latest version of AIX that
    >> will run on this machine?
    >>

    > Steve,
    >
    > If it's Microchannel then 4.3.3.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Bill

    MCA machines will run 5.1. As long as your 7013-590 has decent RAM and
    disks, performance will be alright. 4.3.3 is a better fit however.

  5. Re: AIX for RS6K 590?

    On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Kevin Bowling wrote:

    > Steve Thompson wrote:
    >> I have an old RS/6000 model 590 gathering dust in my basement. It has AIX
    >> 4.2.mumble on it right now. What is the latest version of AIX that will
    >> run on this machine?

    > MCA machines will run 5.1. As long as your 7013-590 has decent RAM and
    > disks, performance will be alright. 4.3.3 is a better fit however.

    It has 256 MB memory and a couple of 9 GB SCSI disks of unknown vintage,
    but everything worked well the last time it was running (about a year
    ago). I may try to locate a copy of AIX 5.1 and breath some life into it.
    Thanks everyone,

    -s

  6. Re: AIX for RS6K 590?

    Steve,
    I've got some copies of AIX 5.1 available. Drop me a note at my email
    and I'll see about send you one.

    Steve Thompson wote:
    > On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Kevin Bowling wrote:
    >
    > > Steve Thompson wrote:
    > >> I have an old RS/6000 model 590 gathering dust in my basement. It has AIX
    > >> 4.2.mumble on it right now. What is the latest version of AIX that will
    > >> run on this machine?

    > > MCA machines will run 5.1. As long as your 7013-590 has decent RAM and
    > > disks, performance will be alright. 4.3.3 is a better fit however.

    > It has 256 MB memory and a couple of 9 GB SCSI disks of unknown vintage,
    > but everything worked well the last time it was running (about a year
    > ago). I may try to locate a copy of AIX 5.1 and breath some life into it.
    > Thanks everyone,
    >
    > -s

+ Reply to Thread