AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts - Aix

This is a discussion on AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts - Aix ; Good evening, I have an IBM p570 that I'm trying to migrate from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 via the 02/2006 AIX 5.3 ML4 CDs. I've performed several successful migrations in the past, really it has always been about following instructions, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts

  1. AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts


    Good evening,

    I have an IBM p570 that I'm trying to migrate from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 via
    the 02/2006 AIX 5.3 ML4 CDs. I've performed several successful
    migrations in the past, really it has always been about following
    instructions, and yet I cannot seem to use any of those experiences to
    find a solution this time.

    Briefly, the migration goes completely to spec, and I've seen no errors
    in the migration process itself after running it three times (restoring
    to mksysb upon this failure). What happens is that after the migration
    process reboots the machine, I pass through the Install Assistant to
    accept licenses, get to my root prompt, and find myself with what
    appears to be simply a base operating system. `lslpp`, `oslevel` and
    `instfix` commands don't report any abnormalities with the exception to
    the fact that no installed software is 'carried forward' from the
    previous OS. For example, my TSM Client files are completely in-tact
    under /usr/tivoli, down to the dsm.opt and dsm.sys configuration files,
    however Tivoli/TSM does not show up in `lslpp`. The EMC drivers and
    software exist in /usr and /opt as well but are not listed as
    'installed' and therefore my SAN volumes, while mounted, show up as the
    general "MPIO" FC SCSI devices rather than 'EMC Symmetrix RAID 5'.

    My p570 boots from an EMC SAN and the LPAR profile has no local storage
    devices attached. The EMC drivers are up to date and I have not found
    any obvious references to AIX compatability problems with 5.2 or 5.3.
    I'm in the process of making some local storage available to test this
    migration on local storage only. Hopefully I can either prove or
    disprove the inevitable "its because you are booting from SAN" reply,
    however I haven't had a chance to get that process going yet.

    Can anyone share experiences or insights as to what I need to do to get
    the AIX migration to 'carry foward and remember' my extra applications
    and OS configurations after the migration?

    Thank you for your time,

    Tyler


  2. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts

    The terribly obvious question (but one that has been lost on me in the
    past) is did you select "Migration" when trying to do the set up?

    As I found out recently, there's another option that looks deceptively
    similar to a migration installation, you might think, "Oh, they've
    renamed it, but it sounds like a migration" only to find that after the
    install, you just have BOS with none of your software and none of your
    customizations. I've also seen situations where the 02/2006 discs
    decide that your system is not eligible for a migration for whatever
    reason, and don't even have the migration option on the list. It took 3
    boots to get my 6H1s to have the migration option for some odd reason.

    Check it out and make absolutely sure that you're selecting
    "Migration", It may even be off the bottom of the screen on some
    terminals.

    Please do not in any way take this to be me insulting your
    intelligence, it's just that the same exact thing happened to me, and I
    found that I had selected something that sounded like a migration, but
    in fact was not.

    On Jan 25, 11:18 pm, slad...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Good evening,
    >
    > I have an IBM p570 that I'm trying to migrate from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 via
    > the 02/2006 AIX 5.3 ML4 CDs. I've performed several successful
    > migrations in the past, really it has always been about following
    > instructions, and yet I cannot seem to use any of those experiences to
    > find a solution this time.
    >
    > Briefly, the migration goes completely to spec, and I've seen no errors
    > in the migration process itself after running it three times (restoring
    > to mksysb upon this failure). What happens is that after the migration
    > process reboots the machine, I pass through the Install Assistant to
    > accept licenses, get to my root prompt, and find myself with what
    > appears to be simply a base operating system. `lslpp`, `oslevel` and
    > `instfix` commands don't report any abnormalities with the exception to
    > the fact that no installed software is 'carried forward' from the
    > previous OS. For example, my TSM Client files are completely in-tact
    > under /usr/tivoli, down to the dsm.opt and dsm.sys configuration files,
    > however Tivoli/TSM does not show up in `lslpp`. The EMC drivers and
    > software exist in /usr and /opt as well but are not listed as
    > 'installed' and therefore my SAN volumes, while mounted, show up as the
    > general "MPIO" FC SCSI devices rather than 'EMC Symmetrix RAID 5'.
    >
    > My p570 boots from an EMC SAN and the LPAR profile has no local storage
    > devices attached. The EMC drivers are up to date and I have not found
    > any obvious references to AIX compatability problems with 5.2 or 5.3.
    > I'm in the process of making some local storage available to test this
    > migration on local storage only. Hopefully I can either prove or
    > disprove the inevitable "its because you are booting from SAN" reply,
    > however I haven't had a chance to get that process going yet.
    >
    > Can anyone share experiences or insights as to what I need to do to get
    > the AIX migration to 'carry foward and remember' my extra applications
    > and OS configurations after the migration?
    >
    > Thank you for your time,
    >
    > Tyler



  3. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts


    I understand your point, because of how the results look... But yes, I
    am absolutely sure its a Migration. To be sure, when the BOS
    Installation and Maintenance menu comes up, I always select "2
    Change/Show Installation Settings and Install", then double check that
    option (1) looks like

    1 System Settings:
    Method of Installation....................Migration
    Disk Where You Want to Install............hdiskXX

    I also go check to be sure that the device ID where hdiskXX is detected
    is the proper fiber adapter. This morning I am finally able to try the
    migration again on local storage from a mksysb restore of the previous
    operating system.

    Thanks for keeping me on my toes. =)

    Tyler

    On Jan 26, 8:24 am, "John Hoover" wrote:
    > The terribly obvious question (but one that has been lost on me in the
    > past) is did you select "Migration" when trying to do the set up?
    >
    > As I found out recently, there's another option that looks deceptively
    > similar to a migration installation, you might think, "Oh, they've
    > renamed it, but it sounds like a migration" only to find that after the
    > install, you just have BOS with none of your software and none of your
    > customizations. I've also seen situations where the 02/2006 discs
    > decide that your system is not eligible for a migration for whatever
    > reason, and don't even have the migration option on the list. It took 3
    > boots to get my 6H1s to have the migration option for some odd reason.
    >
    > Check it out and make absolutely sure that you're selecting
    > "Migration", It may even be off the bottom of the screen on some
    > terminals.
    >
    > Please do not in any way take this to be me insulting your
    > intelligence, it's just that the same exact thing happened to me, and I
    > found that I had selected something that sounded like a migration, but
    > in fact was not.
    >
    > On Jan 25, 11:18 pm, slad...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Good evening,

    >
    > > I have an IBM p570 that I'm trying to migrate from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 via
    > > the 02/2006 AIX 5.3 ML4 CDs. I've performed several successful
    > > migrations in the past, really it has always been about following
    > > instructions, and yet I cannot seem to use any of those experiences to
    > > find a solution this time.

    >
    > > Briefly, the migration goes completely to spec, and I've seen no errors
    > > in the migration process itself after running it three times (restoring
    > > to mksysb upon this failure). What happens is that after the migration
    > > process reboots the machine, I pass through the Install Assistant to
    > > accept licenses, get to my root prompt, and find myself with what
    > > appears to be simply a base operating system. `lslpp`, `oslevel` and
    > > `instfix` commands don't report any abnormalities with the exception to
    > > the fact that no installed software is 'carried forward' from the
    > > previous OS. For example, my TSM Client files are completely in-tact
    > > under /usr/tivoli, down to the dsm.opt and dsm.sys configuration files,
    > > however Tivoli/TSM does not show up in `lslpp`. The EMC drivers and
    > > software exist in /usr and /opt as well but are not listed as
    > > 'installed' and therefore my SAN volumes, while mounted, show up as the
    > > general "MPIO" FC SCSI devices rather than 'EMC Symmetrix RAID 5'.

    >
    > > My p570 boots from an EMC SAN and the LPAR profile has no local storage
    > > devices attached. The EMC drivers are up to date and I have not found
    > > any obvious references to AIX compatability problems with 5.2 or 5.3.
    > > I'm in the process of making some local storage available to test this
    > > migration on local storage only. Hopefully I can either prove or
    > > disprove the inevitable "its because you are booting from SAN" reply,
    > > however I haven't had a chance to get that process going yet.

    >
    > > Can anyone share experiences or insights as to what I need to do to get
    > > the AIX migration to 'carry foward and remember' my extra applications
    > > and OS configurations after the migration?

    >
    > > Thank you for your time,

    >
    > > Tyler- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -



  4. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts


    I restored rootvg to local storage. I performed the exact same
    migration process, and it was 100% successful. Any more ideas anyone?


    Essentially the issue is: I can't migrate an AIX system if it boots
    from the SAN when the same OS migrates when it is on local storage.

    Thanks,
    Tyler



    On Jan 26, 9:17 am, slad...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I understand your point, because of how the results look... But yes, I
    > am absolutely sure its a Migration. To be sure, when the BOS
    > Installation and Maintenance menu comes up, I always select "2
    > Change/Show Installation Settings and Install", then double check that
    > option (1) looks like
    >
    > 1 System Settings:
    > Method of Installation....................Migration
    > Disk Where You Want to Install............hdiskXX
    >
    > I also go check to be sure that the device ID where hdiskXX is detected
    > is the proper fiber adapter. This morning I am finally able to try the
    > migration again on local storage from a mksysb restore of the previous
    > operating system.
    >
    > Thanks for keeping me on my toes. =)
    >
    > Tyler
    >
    > On Jan 26, 8:24 am, "John Hoover" wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > The terribly obvious question (but one that has been lost on me in the
    > > past) is did you select "Migration" when trying to do the set up?

    >
    > > As I found out recently, there's another option that looks deceptively
    > > similar to a migration installation, you might think, "Oh, they've
    > > renamed it, but it sounds like a migration" only to find that after the
    > > install, you just have BOS with none of your software and none of your
    > > customizations. I've also seen situations where the 02/2006 discs
    > > decide that your system is not eligible for a migration for whatever
    > > reason, and don't even have the migration option on the list. It took 3
    > > boots to get my 6H1s to have the migration option for some odd reason.

    >
    > > Check it out and make absolutely sure that you're selecting
    > > "Migration", It may even be off the bottom of the screen on some
    > > terminals.

    >
    > > Please do not in any way take this to be me insulting your
    > > intelligence, it's just that the same exact thing happened to me, and I
    > > found that I had selected something that sounded like a migration, but
    > > in fact was not.

    >
    > > On Jan 25, 11:18 pm, slad...@gmail.com wrote:

    >
    > > > Good evening,

    >
    > > > I have an IBM p570 that I'm trying to migrate from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 via
    > > > the 02/2006 AIX 5.3 ML4 CDs. I've performed several successful
    > > > migrations in the past, really it has always been about following
    > > > instructions, and yet I cannot seem to use any of those experiences to
    > > > find a solution this time.

    >
    > > > Briefly, the migration goes completely to spec, and I've seen no errors
    > > > in the migration process itself after running it three times (restoring
    > > > to mksysb upon this failure). What happens is that after the migration
    > > > process reboots the machine, I pass through the Install Assistant to
    > > > accept licenses, get to my root prompt, and find myself with what
    > > > appears to be simply a base operating system. `lslpp`, `oslevel` and
    > > > `instfix` commands don't report any abnormalities with the exception to
    > > > the fact that no installed software is 'carried forward' from the
    > > > previous OS. For example, my TSM Client files are completely in-tact
    > > > under /usr/tivoli, down to the dsm.opt and dsm.sys configuration files,
    > > > however Tivoli/TSM does not show up in `lslpp`. The EMC drivers and
    > > > software exist in /usr and /opt as well but are not listed as
    > > > 'installed' and therefore my SAN volumes, while mounted, show up as the
    > > > general "MPIO" FC SCSI devices rather than 'EMC Symmetrix RAID 5'.

    >
    > > > My p570 boots from an EMC SAN and the LPAR profile has no local storage
    > > > devices attached. The EMC drivers are up to date and I have not found
    > > > any obvious references to AIX compatability problems with 5.2 or 5.3.
    > > > I'm in the process of making some local storage available to test this
    > > > migration on local storage only. Hopefully I can either prove or
    > > > disprove the inevitable "its because you are booting from SAN" reply,
    > > > however I haven't had a chance to get that process going yet.

    >
    > > > Can anyone share experiences or insights as to what I need to do to get
    > > > the AIX migration to 'carry foward and remember' my extra applications
    > > > and OS configurations after the migration?

    >
    > > > Thank you for your time,

    >
    > > > Tyler- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -



  5. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts


    I restored rootvg to local storage. I performed the exact same AIX
    5.2 to 5.3 migration process that I do when I was using SAN-boot
    storage. With local storage, the migration is 100% successful. With
    SAN storage, I end up with a base operating system as shown in "lslpp -
    L" packages, however all cust applications and files are still in-tact
    within their resident filesystems (i.e. /home, /opt, /usr).

    Any ideas anyone?

    Thanks,
    Tyler

    > On Jan 26, 9:17 am, slad...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > I understand your point, because of how the results look... But yes, I
    > > am absolutely sure its a Migration. To be sure, when the BOS
    > > Installation and Maintenance menu comes up, I always select "2
    > > Change/Show Installation Settings and Install", then double check that
    > > option (1) looks like

    >
    > > 1 System Settings:
    > > Method of Installation....................Migration
    > > Disk Where You Want to Install............hdiskXX

    >
    > > I also go check to be sure that the device ID where hdiskXX is detected
    > > is the proper fiber adapter. This morning I am finally able to try the
    > > migration again on local storage from a mksysb restore of the previous
    > > operating system.

    >
    > > Thanks for keeping me on my toes. =)

    >
    > > Tyler

    >
    > > On Jan 26, 8:24 am, "John Hoover" wrote:

    >
    > > > The terribly obvious question (but one that has been lost on me in the
    > > > past) is did you select "Migration" when trying to do the set up?

    >
    > > > As I found out recently, there's another option that looks deceptively
    > > > similar to a migration installation, you might think, "Oh, they've
    > > > renamed it, but it sounds like a migration" only to find that after the
    > > > install, you just have BOS with none of your software and none of your
    > > > customizations. I've also seen situations where the 02/2006 discs
    > > > decide that your system is not eligible for a migration for whatever
    > > > reason, and don't even have the migration option on the list. It took 3
    > > > boots to get my 6H1s to have the migration option for some odd reason.

    >
    > > > Check it out and make absolutely sure that you're selecting
    > > > "Migration", It may even be off the bottom of the screen on some
    > > > terminals.

    >
    > > > Please do not in any way take this to be me insulting your
    > > > intelligence, it's just that the same exact thing happened to me, and I
    > > > found that I had selected something that sounded like a migration, but
    > > > in fact was not.

    >
    > > > On Jan 25, 11:18 pm, slad...@gmail.com wrote:

    >
    > > > > Good evening,

    >
    > > > > I have an IBM p570 that I'm trying to migrate from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 via
    > > > > the 02/2006 AIX 5.3 ML4 CDs. I've performed several successful
    > > > > migrations in the past, really it has always been about following
    > > > > instructions, and yet I cannot seem to use any of those experiences to
    > > > > find a solution this time.

    >
    > > > > Briefly, the migration goes completely to spec, and I've seen no errors
    > > > > in the migration process itself after running it three times (restoring
    > > > > to mksysb upon this failure). What happens is that after the migration
    > > > > process reboots the machine, I pass through the Install Assistant to
    > > > > accept licenses, get to my root prompt, and find myself with what
    > > > > appears to be simply a base operating system. `lslpp`, `oslevel` and
    > > > > `instfix` commands don't report any abnormalities with the exception to
    > > > > the fact that no installed software is 'carried forward' from the
    > > > > previous OS. For example, my TSM Client files are completely in-tact
    > > > > under /usr/tivoli, down to the dsm.opt and dsm.sys configuration files,
    > > > > however Tivoli/TSM does not show up in `lslpp`. The EMC drivers and
    > > > > software exist in /usr and /opt as well but are not listed as
    > > > > 'installed' and therefore my SAN volumes, while mounted, show up as the
    > > > > general "MPIO" FC SCSI devices rather than 'EMC Symmetrix RAID 5'.

    >
    > > > > My p570 boots from an EMC SAN and the LPAR profile has no local storage
    > > > > devices attached. The EMC drivers are up to date and I have not found
    > > > > any obvious references to AIX compatability problems with 5.2 or 5.3.
    > > > > I'm in the process of making some local storage available to test this
    > > > > migration on local storage only. Hopefully I can either prove or
    > > > > disprove the inevitable "its because you are booting from SAN" reply,
    > > > > however I haven't had a chance to get that process going yet.

    >
    > > > > Can anyone share experiences or insights as to what I need to do to get
    > > > > the AIX migration to 'carry foward and remember' my extra applications
    > > > > and OS configurations after the migration?

    >
    > > > > Thank you for your time,

    >
    > > > > Tyler- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -



  6. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts

    If you "install" a mksysb image your are *restoring a backup* not
    migrating anything. A migration is a method of installation of AIX
    product media. The difference is in third section of a mksysb tape: in
    AIX product media there is a table of contents, in a mksysb image
    there is nothing. You must migrate using an AIX product media.


  7. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts

    I'm not sure if you read the first 5 posts or not, but I know that I'm
    doing a migration. I mentioned that I restored the mksysb to reset
    the context of the board post. My hope was to demonstrate that even
    though I had attempted a migration before, I had then reverted the
    system to original state before performing the migration again. I'm
    sorry you didn't catch that through my poor execution of the english
    language.

    The problem still stands, and I have a PMR open with IBM who is
    currently scouring DEBUG migration logs.

    Thanks again,
    Tyler


  8. Re: AIX Migration Trouble - 5.2 to 5.3 - from SAN Boot hosts

    Apologies for the top posting...

    From the sound of it - it appears to be a classic IBM bug with the hardware
    combination you are using. Since it installs fine using local storage, it
    sounds like an incompatibility with your SAN infrastructure.

    Since the migration can see the correct SAN disk, I'm assuming the zoning on
    your FC switch is configured correctly and since you are saying you can see
    the LUN in question, I'm assuming your disk array is masked correctly.

    I don't know what SAN hardware you are using but would there a problem with
    drivers to your SAN hardware not being loaded into memory at the appropriate
    time? Sounds far fetched but just a thought.

    Sounds like the migration is not migrating but doing a preservation install.
    This is why my money goes on a good old fashioned IBM bug.

    Andy



    On 31/1/07 22:26, in article
    1170282396.200000.43960@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om, "sladetf@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    > I'm not sure if you read the first 5 posts or not, but I know that I'm
    > doing a migration. I mentioned that I restored the mksysb to reset
    > the context of the board post. My hope was to demonstrate that even
    > though I had attempted a migration before, I had then reverted the
    > system to original state before performing the migration again. I'm
    > sorry you didn't catch that through my poor execution of the english
    > language.
    >
    > The problem still stands, and I have a PMR open with IBM who is
    > currently scouring DEBUG migration logs.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Tyler
    >



+ Reply to Thread